• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Exit Poll suggest there is significant support among Irish voters for a united Ireland

Newrybhoy

Are you still falsely claiming that most Alliance voters come from unionist backgrounds? I have proved on various occasions that this is utter nonsense.
Perhaps you might explain why, in the 2014 Euro election, when the Alliance candidate was eliminated, the SDLP tally increased by 24,675 votes, compared to a total rise of 11,759 for the three unionists.
When are you going to stop peddling this obvious falsehood?

View attachment 18337
Can you explain why virtually none are elected in nationalist areas then?

rem81

Because the nats in the mixed areas are more used to huns and less willing to upset them and more willing to compromise and also know that some huns will vote for alliance as well, so more likely their candidate wins! newrybhoy

Newrybhoy

Because the nats in the mixed areas are more used to huns and less willing to upset them and more willing to compromise and also know that some huns will vote for alliance as well, so more likely their candidate wins! newrybhoy
But if you're a nationalist you couldn't vote for Alliance, as they claim to be neutral however their big wigs hoover up all the peerages and knighthoods they can get their hands on, whilst never being seen at GAA or Feiles.

rem81

But if you're a nationalist you couldn't vote for Alliance, as they claim to be neutral however their big wigs hoover up all the peerages and knighthoods they can get their hands on, whilst never being seen at GAA or Feiles.
Your premise is flawed mate. I would agree more protestants voted alliance before the latest elections but its obvious that their voter base is becoming more wide spread...….

You can easily be a moderate nationalist or neutralist in a Protestant majority area or mixed area and vote alliance as 1. you know SDLP and SF arent viable parties and 2. you know that your neighbours who are black will also vote for them to some reasonable extent...

You can't argue they are staunch unionists as they voted for the flegs compromise. They just advocate whatever the majority desires.

raetsel

I asked you to explain why Alliance transfers went nationalist compared to unionists at a rate of more than two to one, and rather than answer the question you think you can dodge it by asking me another one instead? :)
You're clutching at straws here. It doesn't matter whether the voter lives on the Upper Newtownards Road or the Lower Falls. If they vote Alliance No 1 and their second preference goes to the SDLP rather than UUP or DUP, how can you possibly argue that they are unionists and keep a straight face?

AhNowStop

Are you still falsely claiming that most Alliance voters come from unionist backgrounds? I have proved on various occasions that this is utter nonsense.
Perhaps you might explain why, in the 2014 Euro election, when the Alliance candidate was eliminated, the SDLP tally increased by 24,675 votes, compared to a total rise of 11,759 for the three unionists.
When are you going to stop peddling this obvious falsehood?

View attachment 18337
Lies is all the poor eejit has left ... its hilarious to witness though

PBP voter

Pretty stupid of SF to sign up to partition.

25 years laters no UI.

raetsel

Lies is all the poor eejit has left ... its hilarious to witness though
There is no doubt of course that Alliance's support is mainly concentrated around greater Belfast, but the conclusion that it proves that it is predominantly unionist when the clear evidence from electoral transfers proves the opposite is baffling. To be fair to him, the media make the same mistake and are largely responsible for this myth. They were even on about it last night on The View. I think it is down to the fact that many people don't understand that by analyzing the STV system properly you can get a fairly accurate reading of the secondary leanings of the middle ground, and tend to rely on lazy assumptions.

Newrybhoy

There is no doubt of course that Alliance's support is mainly concentrated around greater Belfast, but the conclusion that it proves that it is predominantly unionist when the clear evidence from electoral transfers proves the opposite is baffling. To be fair to him, the media make the same mistake and are largely responsible for this myth. They were even on about it last night on The View. I think it is down to the fact that many people don't understand that by analyzing the STV system properly you can get a fairly accurate reading of the secondary leanings of the middle ground, and tend to rely on lazy assumptions.
You can't claim them to be nationalists, when they are voting against a UI.

They are for the status quo therefore they are soft unionist. It's even in their name for goodness sake.

The Alliance Party of Northern Ireland

It's great that so many Catholics are supporting them.

AhNowStop

the term "clutching at straws" comes to mind when looking at Newrybholl1cks' posts on this subject ... I see all the loyalist nutjobs are busy claiming Alliance are unionists ..... its just more head in the sand stuff :rolleyes: lol

AhNowStop

They are for the status quo therefore they are soft unionist. It's even in their name for goodness sake.

oh dear :rolleyes: ..... here ye go wee son :ROFLMAO:

head-here.jpg

raetsel

You keep making false claims that you cannot substantiate.
They are not voting against a united Ireland. The issue of a united Ireland is only ever going to be decided on a referendum, not on an election held for other purposes. Some people apparently get that and vote on more relevant immediate issues instead.
Alliance are officially neutral on the constitutional issue, which is why they can attract voters from both positions. When I voted for Naomi last week, in common with a lot of moderate unionists I was voting for a voice for Remainers. It had nothing to do with the constitutional position.
Whether they have the words Northern Ireland in the title is neither here nor there. Sinn Fein do not recognise the term but many other nationalists are more realistic and accept it as the official title, including me.

Newrybhoy

You keep making false claims that you cannot substantiate.
They are not voting against a united Ireland. The issue of a united Ireland is only ever going to be decided on a referendum, not on an election held for other purposes. Some people apparently get that and vote on more relevant immediate issues instead.
Alliance are officially neutral on the constitutional issue, which is why they can attract voters from both positions. When I voted for Naomi last week, in common with a lot of moderate unionists I was voting for a voice for Remainers. It had nothing to do with the constitutional position.
Whether they have the words Northern Ireland in the title is neither here nor there. Sinn Fein do not recognise the term but many other nationalists are more realistic and accept it as the official title, including me.
Good man.

devonish

I have to confess that I was quite surprised at the split in the 2nd preference votes from 2014, but hard evidence beats perception every time.

raetsel

I have to confess that I was quite surprised at the split in the 2nd preference votes from 2014, but hard evidence beats perception every time.
It is hard to find clear examples of Alliance transfers because their candidates rarely pass the quote except in their strongholds where they have a second candidate running, who will inevitably mop up most of the distribution, or when they are eliminated usually it will be along with one or more other candidates simultaneously, so unless you are involved in the count yourself there is no way of knowing where the votes of individual candidates go.

raetsel

Just to add to that there is another interesting example from North Antrim in 2017.
The votes of the eliminated Alliance candidate were 1,424 to nationalists and 1,233 to unionists. That is even made more surprising when you realise that the partisan f.p. votes in the constituency, i.e. those who voted first for a definably nationalist or a unionist party, broke 70.5% to 29.5% in favour of unionists. In other words a significantly higher proportion of nationalist leaning voters made Alliance their no. 1 choice.

likesfish

Pretty stupid of SF to sign up to partition.

25 years laters no UI.
well they resorted to violence lost that campaign and the numbers still just give it to remaining british

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies