• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Explain the DUP position on Brexit ? Treason ?

March Hare

Can someone from the Unionist community explain what the DUP were at advocating Brexit? Surely the chain reaction which may unfold in the years ahead is going to irreparably damage Northern Irelands position in the Union ...

Firstly it is a strong possibility Scotland will leave the UK. Given the strong ties between NI & Scotland what does this mean ?

It may be news to the Unionist community but I don't thing the North is anywhere on the radar of English politicians, the coverage of the last few days should have made this abundantly clear.

Given that NI is heavily 'subsidised' by both GB and EU do people actually think the farming community for example will get similar monies from the Treasury? EU funding for a host of areas - research, structural funding, Peace etc - will be gone - again the same question arises?

There will be inevitable downside consequences to the UK fiscal / economic position in the short-term at least so the much vaunted £350 million may not even exist to that level or even will NI be a priority for redistribution given the issues now apparent in the north of England .... This £350 million is based on a static analysis i.e. it assumes no shock to the UK economy from Brexit - most informed commentators can only see a negative shock.

Finally, the question of NI land border with the Republic - the soft border may helped to make an accommodation with NI nationalists / Republicans easier - clearly this cannot continue - some form of frontier presence will have to inevitably return ... the example of Norway / Sweden has been cited - this is not valid in my view as the former while outside the EU, under its arrangement with the EU, is required to permit open labour market etc. I don't thing open labour market with the EU is what people voted for a, as much as you can make out what they voted for.

Do the DUP see the future of NI as some isolated rump of the UK living on handouts from the UK and as a satellite for the Republic and eking out an existence off of shopping arising from exchange rate movements ?

As the North will now be part of a non EU member surely there will be huge difficulty in attracting FDI - again even in the short-term as questions arise over the nature of the UKs trading / regulatory relationship with the EU, or even fundamentally over NI future constitutional position which is undeniably back in play over the medium to long term.

Again you have to respect peoples decision but you would have to question what the DUP were at ?

between the bridges

shiel

Can someone from the Unionist community explain what the DUP were at advocating Brexit? Surely the chain reaction which may unfold in the years ahead is going to irreparably damage Northern Irelands position in the Union ...

Firstly it is a strong possibility Scotland will leave the UK. Given the strong ties between NI & Scotland what does this mean ?

It may be news to the Unionist community but I don't thing the North is anywhere on the radar of English politicians, the coverage of the last few days should have made this abundantly clear.

Given that NI is heavily 'subsidised' by both GB and EU do people actually think the farming community for example will get similar monies from the Treasury? EU funding for a host of areas - research, structural funding, Peace etc - will be gone - again the same question arises?

There will be inevitable downside consequences to the UK fiscal / economic position in the short-term at least so the much vaunted £350 million may not even exist to that level or even will NI be a priority for redistribution given the issues now apparent in the north of England .... This £350 million is based on a static analysis i.e. it assumes no shock to the UK economy from Brexit - most informed commentators can only see a negative shock.

Finally, the question of NI land border with the Republic - the soft border may helped to make an accommodation with NI nationalists / Republicans easier - clearly this cannot continue - some form of frontier presence will have to inevitably return ... the example of Norway / Sweden has been cited - this is not valid in my view as the former while outside the EU, under its arrangement with the EU, is required to permit open labour market etc. I don't thing open labour market with the EU is what people voted for a, as much as you can make out what they voted for.

Do the DUP see the future of NI as some isolated rump of the UK living on handouts from the UK and as a satellite for the Republic and eking out an existence off of shopping arising from exchange rate movements ?

As the North will now be part of a non EU member surely there will be huge difficulty in attracting FDI - again even in the short-term as questions arise over the nature of the UKs trading / regulatory relationship with the EU, or even fundamentally over NI future constitutional position which is undeniably back in play over the medium to long term.

Again you have to respect peoples decision but you would have to question what the DUP were at ?
It is amazing this thread was left for a year without comment.

The DUP position is indefensible.

The EU is a union of nearly thirty European democracies each of which signed a treaty to cooperate in matters of mutual interest.

Brexit tore up that treaty as it declares economic war on the rest of the EU and especially on this country.

The Good Friday Agreement was signed between the UK and Ireland resulted in the dismantling of all Irish land border controls.

Brexit tore up that agreement as the objective of its supporters is the racist objective of exclusion which will prevent free movement of people across the border.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies