Extension of 50-50 'anti-Protestant'

Schomberg

Extension of 50-50 'anti-Protestant' - Belfast Today

A STATEMENT by the chairman of the Police Federation that it
would support an extension of 50-50 recruitment, if government financial support is forthcoming,has been slammed as "anti- Protestant" and "utterly immoral".

On Wednesday, the union which represents rank-and-file PSNI officers
said it would support the extension of the controversial 50- 50 recruitment process, which is due to end next year, to combat the dissident republican threat which it says has the PSNI at breaking point.

fool

That seems very odd. How would extending the 50-50 rule help fight the "dissident" republicans?

Scipio

I see this comes from the Newsletter and Jimmy Spratt, what a surprise.

50-50 is simply another form of affirmative action - getting a historically discriminated against community the opportunity to fully participate in the police, as their numbers demand (43 plus per cent at the last census). Are Americans anti-white because of measures put in place to help blacks and/or Native Americans get jobs?!

If the Police Federation and the government support its continuation, that's good enough for me. The encouraging of the Catholic community to participate in the Police force is a good thing for the future of Northern Ireland.

Éireann go Brách

I usually disagree with all affirmative action measures,
People should get jobs based soley on ability.
the exception being in the area of policing
Given the history of policing in the Northern pale,
I think efforts should be made to increase the number of police from
the green populace and it was right that this was brought in as part of the GFA, however this cannot go on forever and affirmative action in the PSNI
should be wound down.

Scipio

Did blacks and/or Native Americans boycott the police either voluntraily or because they faced at best ostracism and at worst murder for signing up ?
Many Blacks certainly did. I'm sure I don't need to go into the history of various American police forces, and discrimination against minorities. Or for that matter, discrimination against Catholics who joined the RUC regardless.

An increasing Catholic participation in the PSNI is good for the whole community in Northern Ireland. The Police Federation (guys who I presume are in the know) and the British government seem to agree with that stance, and believe the continuation of the 50-50 policy for the moment is justified.

Do you?

Cruimh

Many Blacks certainly did. I'm sure I don't need to go into the history of various American police forces, and discrimination against minorities. Or for that matter, discrimination against Catholics who joined the RUC regardless.

An increasing Catholic participation in the PSNI is good for the whole community in Northern Ireland. The Police Federation (guys who I presume are in the know) and the British government seem to agree with that stance, and believe the continuation of the 50-50 policy for the moment is justified.

Do you?
I agree - it's just that I dislike the implication that the only reason that RCs were under represented in the RUC was because they were discriminated against by protestants.

British Citizen

I fully support 50-50 until the catholic representation in the PSNI equals what it is in the general populace.

These catholic police officers will spend their days talking to the public and see the difference in how the Unionist and Nationalist communities treat them.

They'll be treated with respect in most Unionist areas and then go to places like west Belfast or Ardoyne and have their vehicles stoned or be called black bastards simply for doing their job.

Combine this with threats from dissident Nationalists which may cause them to have to move to Unionist areas to live for their family's safety and slowly but surely these catholic PSNI officers become catholic UNIONIST PSNI officers.

More catholic PSNI officers = more catholic Unionists.

Simples.

pujols

I fully support 50-50 until the catholic representation in the PSNI equals what it is in the general populace.

These catholic police officers will spend their days talking to the public and see the difference in how the Unionist and Nationalist communities treat them.

They'll be treated with respect in most Unionist areas and then go to places like west Belfast or Ardoyne and have their vehicles stoned or be called black bastards simply for doing their job.

Combine this with threats from dissident Nationalists which may cause them to have to move to Unionist areas to live for their family's safety and slowly but surely these catholic PSNI officers become catholic UNIONIST PSNI officers.

Simples.
I remember seeing the RUC getting dreadful abuse at Windsor Park in 1993 from folks who were most definitely not of the nationalist persuasion. Comparisons to the SS played a large part in that.

Does the PSNI get more respect now?

Scipio

Northern Ireland's worst rioting in years left more than 30 police officers injured, the chief constable has said.

Loyalist paramilitaries fired at least 50 live rounds at police and the Army after a disputed Protestant Orange Order parade, Sir Hugh Orde said.

Saturday's rioters in Belfast intended to kill police and it was lucky "we have no dead police officers", he said.
Rioters 'intended to kill police'

Simples.
So peace and improved inter-community relations in Northern Ireland should be encouraged as long as it dovetails with your political agenda.

Unbelievable, but exactly the type of thing one would expect from an individual like you.

Last edited:

British Citizen

I remember seeing the RUC getting dreadful abuse at Windsor Park in 1993 from folks who were most definitely not of the nationalist persuasion. Comparisons to the SS played a large part in that.

Does the PSNI get more respect now?
Of course there's headcases who don't like the police in Unionist communities but they are a tiny minority.

I was driving through a staunchly Nationalist area last weekend and got stopped at a police checkpoint. I could hear the driver in front being a complete knob to the officer who was checking his licence, insurance, etc. The officer looked rightly p*ssed off and must have been getting this attitude for the whole time the checkpoint was in operation. Then I moved to the front, answered all his questions and told him where I was going (a Unionist area up the road), struck up a conversation with him and then wished him a good weekend as I drove off. I was pleasant, polite and helpful and the majority of the Nationalists getting stopped would have been rude and abusive.

This behaviour will have an effect on any officer (catholic or protestant) and they'll soon start to see Unionists as generally polite and respectful of the police and Nationalists as unhelpful and disrespectful.

I know a catholic officer who grew up on the Antrim Road and attended Cliftonville games in his teens. He joined the police, started dating a protestant officer from Newtownards and now lives with her in east Belfast. I'd guess he might just be pro-Union now....

British Citizen

centauro

I usually disagree with all affirmative action measures,
People should get jobs based soley on ability.
the exception being in the area of policing
Given the history of policing in the Northern pale,
I think efforts should be made to increase the number of police from
the green populace and it was right that this was brought in as part of the GFA, however this cannot go on forever and affirmative action in the PSNI
should be wound down.
50-50 is simply another form of affirmative action - getting a historically discriminated against community the opportunity to fully participate in the police,
Should this also be applied in the Republic? Should the Garda reflect the numbers of non Catholics in the country?

The Garda organises Masses to mark the anniversaries of the opening of police stations. The Dublin metropolitan traffic division, for example, holds a Mass in Dublin Castle which has been attended by the President at least once in recent years. The Garda Commissioner, Noel Conroy, attended the Mass in Knock Basilica to mark the beatification of Mother Teresa, of whom, on her death in 1997, the Taoiseach informed the Dáil, “no one doubts the evident saintliness”. Gardaí on duty, like the Taoiseach in the Dáil, wear ashes on their foreheads on Ash Wednesday
http://designresearchgroup.wordpress.com/2007/08/31/signs-secularism-and-religion-the-gardai-religion-and-the-public-space/

Last edited:

Scipio

Should this also be applied in the Republic? Should the Garda reflect the numbers of non Catholics in the country?
Focus on increasing the representation of minorities in the force has been part of the Gardaí's remit for at least the last 10 years.

Robo

Being a non protestant, non catholic, non Muslim or what ever less. I find this anti-atheist not that it really matters. :evil:

So they want 50% catholic police force? I would like this to but a problem I foresee is that they will not get the numbers needed to make the 50%. Then what? Well if they(Catholics) fail in the undertaking of their responsibility within our equality driven N Ireland, the only option left is conscription. Those catholics that have just finish higher education funded by the British state. Should form the pool of men and women from which the police force can conscript the man power needed to meet its equality quota.

centauro

Focus on increasing the representation of minorities in the force has been part of the Gardaí's remit for at least the last 10 years.
So how's it going then? The figures must be published?

The Irish police employ just 14 Protestants in a force of around 12,000 officers, sources have told to the News Letter.

As the 50:50 recruitment policy continues to ensure a greater representation for Roman Catholics in the PSNI, it has been claimed that only 0.1 per cent of the Garda is Protestant.

A Garda source said: "I have it on very good authority that there are just 14 Protestants in the Irish police force. One female and 12 male officers and one male of sergeant rank."

A spokesman for the Garda said he could not confirm or deny the claim as he believed the Irish force does not keep an official record of its religious or ethnic make-up.
http://www.police999.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=39:garda-employ-just-14-protestants-in-a-force-of-12000&catid=38:world-police-news&Itemid=63

Last edited:

DuineEile

Simples.
Simples minded tceh!;)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

D

Scipio

So how's it going then? The figures must be published?

http://www.police999.com/index.php?o...news&Itemid=63
There are two problems with that report. Firstly, it's off-topic. Secondly, it's factually incorrect, as has been discussed numerous times on this very forum.

If you are interested by the jobs Protestants or other minorities hold in the Republic, go the CSO's website where I'm sure your every wonder will be quickly satiated.

centauro

There are two problems with that report. Firstly, it's off-topic. Secondly, it's factually incorrect, as has been discussed numerous times on this very forum.
Off topic? I thought you were concerned about minorities suffering descrimination...

50-50 is simply another form of affirmative action - getting a historically discriminated against community the opportunity to fully participate in the police,

If you are interested by the jobs Protestants or other minorities hold in the Republic, go the CSO's website where I'm sure your every wonder will be quickly satiated.
Why don't you do it for me.

Scipio

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies