Extension of 50-50 'anti-Protestant'

Cruimh

centauro

No I said that there were 138 Anglicans serving in the Gardai, a figure directly derived from the CSO's own census numbers. I suggest you learn how to read before making patently false claims:

Yes, it does.
Read the following link carefully, twice if need be (hint: third column from the bottom).

Beyond 20/20 WDS - Table View
Have a read at your own table pal, preferably twice, and then explain why they have 19, 454 members of the Garda listed! Nowhere near that in the force, so your figures prove NOTHING!

the way, the Church of Ireland Archbishop of Dublin's son is also a member of An Garda Siochana. If your discrimination claims are just, logic would dictate that he'd surely be one of the first ones speaking out about it, and yet, not a sound.

Instructive that.
Why? It's more likely that the minority protestant population would keep their heads down, that's certainly what happened in the past.

If Catholics were under represented in any workforce in Northern Ireland it would be right and just to flag it up, and take steps to redress the imbalance. Why is this not the case with the minority Protestant community in Eire?

Cruimh

If Catholics were under represented in any workforce in Northern Ireland it would be right and just to flag it up, and take steps to redress the imbalance. Why is this not the case with the minority Protestant community in Eire?
Indeed - people claim that simple numerical under-representation of RCs in the RUC proved protestants were discriminating againsts RCs.

Sauce for the goose ....

vinoboy

I think that our people joining the RUC is treason but i like the idea of protestants being discriminated against especially if it is annoying them.
I know that many young RC's are joining PSNI and enjoying policing as a career . In a post ceasefire enviroment that is welcome and most of them are realising what a bunch of low life exist within what was their community. Mind you , they knew that before they joined .

Scipio

Have a read at your own table pal, preferably twice, and then explain why they have 19, 454 members of the Garda listed! Nowhere near that in the force, so your figures prove NOTHING!
Your original claim pertained to only 14 Protestants serving in An Garda Siochana, that claim is demonstrably false.

You then procceeded to claim that I said 185 Anglicans were serving in AGS when I said nothing of the sort. You will understand then if I don't take your claims as regarding numbers with anything but the largest pinch of salt available.

Why? It's more likely that the minority protestant population would keep their heads down, that's certainly what happened in the past.
Church leaders certaintly didn't "keep their heads down" when cursory funding was withdrawn from Protestant schools not too long ago did they?

Or how about the C of I cleryman (ironically enough, another son of the current Archbishop of Dublin) who called for the Papal nuncio to be expelled after the publication of the Murphy Report? Is that your idea of "keeping your head down"?

It's quite obvious that you don't have the faintest idea what you're talking about.

The Gardai, and other bodies, have numerous programmes aimed at minority recruitment. Save forcing people to sign up, it is up to them to avail of it, as it is up to Catholics to join the PSNI given the measures put in place to aid them.

Last edited:

Cruimh

While we are talking about the Police .... Tragedy in Lenadoon.

Man, 67, is killed in west Belfast house fire

Horrendous fire - six engines required.

Kudos to these brave officers who tried to save him.

The three police officers, all in their 20s, were taken to hospital to be treated for the effects of smoke inhalation. One remains in hospital.

johndodger

Why? Whats your basis for that?

Yes, why don't more protestants join the Gardaí?

Indeed - people claim that simple numerical under-representation of RCs in the RUC proved protestants were discriminating againsts RCs.

Sauce for the goose ....
But Ireland and Northern Ireland are two very very differant places. Protestants are free to join the Gardaí without any fear of intimidation or reprisals, so why don't more of them join? I think it's a vast oversimplification to suggest it's because of some subtle campaign against them. Muslims and seiks have no problem joining.

While there was undoubtely disciminiation against protestants in the past here I do not belive that there is any significant discrimination these days. As I have already said, apart from some rural areas, how would anyone know who is protestant or catholic?

I think that our people joining the RUC is treason but i like the idea of protestants being discriminated against especially if it is annoying them.
You sure your name isn't "Billy the Muppet".

Brave men, one and all. Best wishes for their recovery.
Yes indeed.

picador

Try this for size - Chief Superintendant Brian McCargo

A disproportionate number of Catholic officers occupy top jobs in the service -
which goes to show the quality of those who came forward.
'No regrets as a Catholic in the RUC'
Disproportionate compared to what - the small number of Catholics in the rest of the force?

You claimed, misleadingly, that there was an imbalance that needed to be redressed.
Should the imbalance in senior ranks also be corrected ?
Do you have ANY stats to back that up?

New Threads

Most Replies