• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Eye for an Eye: Saudi man (24) to be surgically paralyzed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Cartman

Saudi court said to order criminal to be surgically paralysed - Middle East News | Latest News Headlines | The Irish Times - Thu, Apr 04, 2013

Amnesty International has condemned a reported Saudi Arabian court ruling that a young man should be paralysed as punishment for a crime he committed 10 years ago which resulted in the victim being confined to a wheelchair.
The London-based human rights group said Ali al-Khawaher (24) was reported to have spent 10 years in jail waiting to be paralysed surgically unless his family pays one million Saudi riyals (€207,850) to the victim.
The Saudi Gazette newspaper reported last week that Khawaher had stabbed a childhood friend in the spine during a dispute a decade ago, paralysing him from the waist down.
Saudi Arabia applies Islamic sharia law, which allows eye-for-an-eye punishment for crimes but allows victims to pardon convicts in exchange for so-called blood money.
My thoughts are with that young Italian student, who came to Ireland several years ago and was attacked by some utter scumbag in Dublin 3 I believe, leaving him severely brain damaged. I think stoving that Dublin bloke's head in with a lead pipe would've probably prevented more crime. Naturally, I do not believe that the Government would've borne the cost of his care.

/MOD/ There's a thread on this here: http://www.politics.ie/forum/foreign-affairs/208791-saudis-paralyse-boy.html /MOD/

Status
Not open for further replies.