Facebook allows advertises exclude users by race

toughbutfair

Racism. People don't want blacks in their neighbourhoods.
Companies selling products , just want to sell them. If they are selling products more popular with one ethnic group than another, then they want those people to get their adds.

GDPR

https://www.propublica.org/article/facebook-lets-advertisers-exclude-users-by-race

This is disturbing as allows an advertising campaign to target based on "Ethnic affinity".

FB indicated that it doesn't use race anywhere, it just finds another word for it and uses
that.

https://www.propublica.org/documents/item/3191165-Facebook-Propublica-Ad.html

This is the ad itself.

New Media, just old media repackaged.
Well, in all fairness, if your advertising fake tan, you will probably be wasting your money advertising to certain racial groups. Likewise with hair straightening serum.

One thing about Zuckerberg and all his tribe is that they never let politics get in the way of profit.

GDPR

What's wrong with advertisers reaching the demographic they want ?
Usually expressed statistically as age, sex, education level, income level, marital status, occupation, religion, birth rate, death rate,, average size of family, average age at marriage, star sign if you want to etc etc

Any market research company employed by a business which just delivered information based on race wouldnt last five minutes ..

silverharp

Racism. People don't want blacks in their neighbourhoods.
how do you know? , maybe they just assume black people wouldnt be able to afford to buy so why pay 1/3 more for advertising?

ManUnited

Companies selling products , just want to sell them. If they are selling products more popular with one ethnic group than another, then they want those people to get their adds.
And if people don't want a certain ethnicity in their neighbourhoods they would prefer they didn't see the ads.

toughbutfair

Usually expressed statistically as age, sex, education level, income level, marital status, occupation, religion, birth rate, death rate,, average size of family, average age at marriage, star sign if you want to etc etc

Any market research company employed by a business which just delivered information based on race wouldnt last five minutes ..
I never said "just" , it is additional information. If you sell golf clubs and you have bought X amount of adds , you'd prefer white people to get the adds (obviously golf searches first , then likely income level, )

toughbutfair

And if people don't want a certain ethnicity in their neighbourhoods they would prefer they didn't see the ads.
I specifically said "products" , if I sell Garth brooks products , I'd prefer white people to get the ad as they are more likely to be customers,

toughbutfair

Well, in all fairness, if your advertising fake tan, you will probably be wasting your money advertising to certain racial groups. Likewise with hair straightening serum.

One thing about Zuckerberg and all his tribe is that they never let politics get in the way of profit.
Likewise skin whitening products are popular with Indians , face masks with Chinese people etc .

GDPR

I'm amused.

Any business that needs/prefers to target ads racially is not going to stay in business very long.

toughbutfair

I'd say if they compiled your geographical location, websites used , tv programmes watched etc , they'd be able to calculate your ethnicity to a very degree of probability so whether they actually use ethnic terminology is probably irrelevant . We're not as free minded as we like to think we are

ManUnited

I specifically said "products" , if I sell Garth brooks products , I'd prefer white people to get the ad as they are more likely to be customers,
I think the main concern is how it could be used by people less enlightened than you.

silverharp

There are a lot of rich black people.
but they might have different buying habits. I could think of places Ive gone to in the UK and you simply wont see black people. So if you want to advertise in London say you could cut your advertising cost by 30% or 40% with no loss in potential customers

Novos

I'm amused.

Any business that needs/prefers to target ads racially is not going to stay in business very long.
It comes down to cost. If you were selling Country and Western Music CD's would you like to pay for 100,000 black people to be targeted or a 100,000 White Hillbillies?

GDPR

Golf, fake tan, country and western CDs :)

I am building up a picture of Piesters on here, fair enough ....

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies