Facebook allows advertises exclude users by race

Agents and sellers, neighbours and investors care about house prices, and not just the houses they live in.
That may be the case BUT they have no right to interfere in anything that has nothing to do with them.

FB is breaking the law by excluding people it advertises to.

nicenin

That may be the case BUT they have no right to interfere in anything that has nothing to do with them.

FB is breaking the law by excluding people it advertises to.
I'm against forced multiculturalism but this is completely wrong on all levels. Though anyone stupid enough to use Facebook in the first place deserves what they get.

ManUnited

What has that to do with anything? They can inform whoever they want about what they do with their property and it is no one's business other than theirs. Which consumer in particular has a legal right (based on their race an no other criteria) to be informed that my neighbour's house is for sale?
Everything. As for legal rights, that depends on where you are.

TedHankey

https://www.propublica.org/article/facebook-lets-advertisers-exclude-users-by-race

This is disturbing as allows an advertising campaign to target based on "Ethnic affinity".

FB indicated that it doesn't use race anywhere, it just finds another word for it and uses
that.

https://www.propublica.org/documents/item/3191165-Facebook-Propublica-Ad.html

This is the ad itself.

New Media, just old media repackaged.
Do you realise that if you target, for example, Hispanics, you will include people of all skin pigmentation?
The ad will find it's way to white people from Mexico, black people from Cuba, red(ish) people from Guatemala, sort of a more browny red people from El Salvador, etc etc.

An ethnic group or ethnicity is a category of people who identify with each other based on similarities, such as common language, ancestral, social, cultural, or national experiences.

Cdebru

Usually expressed statistically as age, sex, education level, income level, marital status, occupation, religion, birth rate, death rate,, average size of family, average age at marriage, star sign if you want to etc etc

Any market research company employed by a business which just delivered information based on race wouldnt last five minutes ..
But it also allows the advertiser to target based on age, sex, etc as well, ethnicity or race targetting is not necessarily a bad thing it could be if used for the wrong purpose but there are legitimate reasons to target based on ethnicity if you are offering products for afro hair then it would be pointless and a waste of money if your paid for advertisement ends up with 85% of people who have no use for the product. Likewise if you are an ethnic food seller you want to target the people interested in ethnic food, internet marketing is about targetting your potential customers.

But it also allows the advertiser to target based on age, sex, etc as well, ethnicity or race targetting is not necessarily a bad thing it could be if used for the wrong purpose but there are legitimate reasons to target based on ethnicity if you are offering products for afro hair then it would be pointless and a waste of money if your paid for advertisement ends up with 85% of people who have no use for the product. Likewise if you are an ethnic food seller you want to target the people interested in ethnic food, internet marketing is about targetting your potential customers.

Facebook Overestimated Key Video Metric for Two Years - WSJ

FB admits it overestimated ad views.

stopdoingstuff

Everything. As for legal rights, that depends on where you are.
I await your clarification about how my as of yet undeclared personal feelings towards having a Muslim neighbour (as if I never had one before) relates to whether or not people can target their advertising toward people to whom they want to sell products and services.

silverharp

Agents and sellers, neighbours and investors care about house prices, and not just the houses they live in.
doesnt make sense, if someone is selling they want the highest price and the agent wants maximum commission , they dont care who they sell to.

ManUnited

I await your clarification about how my as of yet undeclared personal feelings towards having a Muslim neighbour (as if I never had one before) relates to whether or not people can target their advertising toward people to whom they want to sell products and services.
I was using your Islamophobia as an example.

ManUnited

doesnt make sense, if someone is selling they want the highest price and the agent wants maximum commission , they dont care who they sell to.
Of course they do. You should try and think of the big picture. Agents and (some) sellers want to sell more properties in the same areas. Why do you think it was necessary to pass legislation to prohibit discrimination in ads for housing a mentioned in the OP?

former wesleyan

Tacky.

storybud1

Of course they do. You should try and think of the big picture. Agents and (some) sellers want to sell more properties in the same areas. Why do you think it was necessary to pass legislation to prohibit discrimination in ads for housing a mentioned in the OP?
When you come down off your ideological power trip and live in one of these kips you would be the first one out if you got the chance. There is stuff you read in a lefty liberal rag and then there is real life. Of course it is not a perfect world but you see there is a fooking reason for house prices being what they are.

do well educated black people with good jobs want to live in a highly populated black area ? ehh, no they fooking don't and they move to wealthy areas by ignoring facebook as they use estate agents websites like any normal person.

We have a housing crisis and 100% of the commentators from all the media and politicians live in wealthy areas ? and would move in the morning if a reception centre for 3rd world immigrants was built next door to them.

Mary Lou lives in a million euro big house in Castleknock ? Lilly Allen ended her marriage to her white English husband and was carrying on with all kinds of stuff ? with black rappers and has since sold her £4 million pound Country house and moved to London ? ehh, has she got something to get off her chest or a new album to launch ? is she bat-sh1t crazy and the last person on earth to listen to regarding,, well, anything ?

Joe Soap is fed up to the teeth listening to spoofers in million pound houses telling them to knuckle down and accept that their house price is just crap because they want to feel good about themselves, I am getting the fook out of my town, all the welfare tourism has wiped 100K off my house price and it is never coming back.

Reality is a bitch,

ManUnited

When you come down off your ideological power trip and live in one of these kips you would be the first one out if you got the chance. There is stuff you read in a lefty liberal rag and then there is real life. Of course it is not a perfect world but you see there is a fooking reason for house prices being what they are.

do well educated black people with good jobs want to live in a highly populated black area ? ehh, no they fooking don't and they move to wealthy areas by ignoring facebook as they use estate agents websites like any normal person.

We have a housing crisis and 100% of the commentators from all the media and politicians live in wealthy areas ? and would move in the morning if a reception centre for 3rd world immigrants was built next door to them.

Mary Lou lives in a million euro big house in Castleknock ? Lilly Allen ended her marriage to her white English husband and was carrying on all with kinds of stuff with black rappers and has since sold her £4 million pound Country house and moved to London ? ehh, has she got something to get off her chest or a new album to launch ? is she bat-sh1t crazy and the last person on earth to listen to regarding,, well, anything ?

Joe Soap is fed up to the teeth listening to spoofers in million pound houses telling them to knuckle down and accept that their house price is just crap because they want to feel good about themselves, I am getting the fook out of my town, all the welfare tourism has wiped 100K off my house price and it is never coming back.

Reality is a bitch,
Do you still have fits of jealous rage when you see black men driving mercs?

stopdoingstuff

I was using your Islamophobia as an example.
That is fascinating but of course establishes nothing relating to whether or not people can target their advertising toward people to whom they want to sell products and services.

ManUnited

That is fascinating but of course establishes nothing relating to whether or not people can target their advertising toward people to whom they want to sell products and services.
That's because it wasn't meant to. It's about excluding people not targetting them.

GDPR

Nobody has a right to any product
Maybe the real question is does anyone have a right to make Ferraris. They are beautiful toys, but does anyone have the right to waste so much productive capacity on making them? I would say not.

GDPR

Nobody has a right to any product
The members of any tribe will have claim on a share of the social production of the tribe. You assertion that "nobody has a right to any product" is an example of the criminal mentality of Liberalism.

storybud1

Do you still have fits of jealous rage when you see black men driving mercs?
Do you still have fits of realising you are pathetic when you resort to insults and know 100% nothing about the subject ?

For Fooks sake, you can rent a house in my town for double the mortgage lifetime then sell it for the same after 25 years thanks to social welfare? clowns like you read sh1t in a "manifesto" or some other liberal bollixology and love the sound of their own opinions (that are really just plagiarised sh1te) and have no idea about reality.

Fooking laughing at you and so are the house prices,

do you not realise how sad you are when you cannot understand reality you pull out the race card ? Sure that sh1te went out with the Irish homeless people you fooking have no answers to?

You are on a very few ignore list as you are simply not worth debating with, you,, now get this ,, DO NOT KNOW REALITY ?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies