Facebook rejects US Declaration of Independence as racist.

Wascurito

Well, this is awkward. On the very day that Americans were celebrating the anniversary of their independence, Facebook flagged a post containing some quotes from the Declaration of Independence as "against our standards on hate speech".

It's believed that a reference to "merciless Indian savages" was what caused the issue.

People can read the full text of the 1776 document here. The wording is rather more earthy than our 1916 Declaration.

Facebook apologizes for flagging Declaration of Independence as hate speech

Eventualities

This is politics.ie, not politics.us.

No-one cares. Go away.

Ramon Mercadar

I already posted about this. What I really fear is this:

Facebook's algorithm has also deleted famous war photography, mentions of police brutality against people of color, and, perhaps tellingly, articles about how to thwart the Facebook algorithm itself.

https://bigthink.com/ned-dymoke/facebook-algorithm-finds-the-declaration-of-independence-racist?utm_source=Daily+Newsletter&utm_campaign=f47a2cecf3-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_07_05_18&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_45b26faecc-f47a2cecf3-44221785

A tone deaf intersectional AI will send out drones to kill Anti-Fascists.

Dame_Enda

They don't appear to understand the difference between an historical document in the 18th century and the modern concept of hate speech.

silverharp

Little house on the prairie the book got into some trouble recently, my eyes rolled back in my head so hard I didn't see what the actual issue was. still popcorn it is hilarious

Wascurito

This is politics.ie, not politics.us.

No-one cares. Go away.
Check again, mo chara. This is the "US Politics" forum.

(I know. You hate me. I've been ruffling far-left feathers lately.)

cunnyfunt

Well, this is awkward. On the very day that Americans were celebrating the anniversary of their independence, Facebook flagged a post containing some quotes from the Declaration of Independence as "against our standards on hate speech".

It's believed that a reference to "merciless Indian savages" was what caused the issue.

People can read the full text of the 1776 document here. The wording is rather more earthy than our 1916 Declaration.

Fascistbook can go and fuk themselves.

GDPR

FaceBook still busily serving Russian interests, I see...

I bet the troll factories were on overtime, geeing up the Far Right geebags...

making waves

The 1776 Declaration of Independence was a document of, by and for rich, white men of property.

NYCKY

Saw this yesterday, hysterical stuff. Facebook will soon become Arsebook.

Dame_Enda

Don't publish the Witchcraft Act as FB may think it "sexist".:p

Wascurito

They don't appear to understand the difference between an historical document in the 18th century and the modern concept of hate speech.
Indeed. For example, God Save The Queen doesn't make for easy reading for Scottish people or Catholics and might similarly fall foul of Facebook's algorithms.

Wascurito

Little house on the prairie the book got into some trouble recently, my eyes rolled back in my head so hard I didn't see what the actual issue was. still popcorn it is hilarious
‘Little House on the Prairie’ author removed from book award over 'racist' language

"The US Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC) has removed Laura Ingalls Wilder's name from the title of a major children’s book award.

The BBC report how the association did so in response to repeated complaints over the author's 'anti-Native and anti-Black sentiments in her work'.
"

Watch out, Enid Blyton!

silverharp

‘Little House on the Prairie’ author removed from book award over 'racist' language

"The US Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC) has removed Laura Ingalls Wilder's name from the title of a major children’s book award.

The BBC report how the association did so in response to repeated complaints over the author's 'anti-Native and anti-Black sentiments in her work'.
"

Watch out, Enid Blyton!
watch out history , wiping out the past cant be a good idea, I doubt its on the KKK reading list and its educational to see the attitudes of people writing in the past

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies