Facebook to halt all non-national Repeal the 8th ads from today

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I see from the BBC that Facebook will be calling a halt to all Facebook hosted ads around the current referendum campaign from non-national sources from today.

Ireland abortion poll: Facebook to block foreign ads - BBC News

I think this is a good idea (and am a 'Yes' voter). Not sure how effective it will be but it will be interesting to note whether it affects volume and reach from foreign funded organisations.

slysnara

As a No voter, I agree with that. It's good to block out foreign interference as much as possible.

ScoobyDoo

I see from the BBC that Facebook will be calling a halt to all Facebook hosted ads around the current referendum campaign from non-national sources from today.

Ireland abortion poll: Facebook to block foreign ads - BBC News

I think this is a good idea (and am a 'Yes' voter). Not sure how effective it will be but it will be interesting to note whether it affects volume and reach from foreign funded organisations.

So Facebook can pick and choose which referenda/elections it wants to block ads for if it doesn't like the side these ads are on?

Sounds very democratic.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
As a No voter, I agree with that. It's good to block out foreign interference as much as possible.
So you wouldn't agree then with a foreign religious cult sermonising from the pulpit on the subject?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
So Facebook can pick and choose which referenda/elections it wants to block ads for if it doesn't like the side these ads are on?

Sounds very democratic.
Indicates to me that they are trialling such a block in order to prevent arses from all ends of the spectrum whinging down the internets at their staff about a perceived bias...

slysnara

Better tell the Roman church
Obsessed you are. I'm sure a bunch of Italians have been very busy spending money on Irish Facebook.

Or maybe it's George Soros and the money he pumped into the pro-choice campaign.

slysnara

I hate to break it to you after all this time but the RCC is a foreign religion. Jerusalem is not, as you might suspect, in Cavan.
Irish people who are in whatever religion, be it Judaism, Catholicism, Islam etc would be fine.

I wouldn't be too impressed by foreigners without a vote sermonising though.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Irish people who are in whatever religion, be it Judaism, Catholicism, Islam etc would be fine.

I wouldn't be too impressed by foreigners without a vote sermonising though.
What about those who would view themselves as adherents of a foreign cult before their nationality?

slysnara

What about those who would view themselves as adherents of a foreign cult before their nationality?
I don't mind what's going through their head as long as they have a vote.

I feel the same for those who follow the foreign cult of communism.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I don't mind what's going through their head as long as they have a vote.

I feel the same for those who follow the foreign cult of communism.
Were you aware that cardinals are Roman citizens? Until they retire and then they lose that status, I believe.Unless they are in Rome on the run from the law. At which point they become the 'frail patient'.

smitchy2

This is definitely a good move as it should be an irish decision by the irish decision.

Its ironic that a multinational company such as facebook is looking to prove an entity is irish. They could probably give plenty of tips on how to create an irish entity to suit your needs

sadmal

I hate to break it to you after all this time but the RCC is a foreign religion. Jerusalem is not, as you might suspect, in Cavan.
But the priests are Irish - and I believe Our Lady is a regular visitor to these shores.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
But the priests are Irish - and I believe Our Lady is a regular visitor to these shores.
I've never seen any evidence to say that Holy Flyin' Mazza has even the cupla focal. She wouldn't pass any kind of nationality test or indeed even immigration status checks.

As for working in Ireland without an appropriate visa well that's just not on. Quite telling that the RCC in Ireland has never applied for a working visa on her behalf.

Mind you I'm told she doesn't bother much with airports or customs.

New Threads

Most Replies