Facebook, Trolls and Paid Activists on P.ie

bactrian

There was a report in the IT yesterday about paid for posts on Facebook about the forthcoming abortion Referendum.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/almost-100-facebook-posts-on-referendum-were-paid-for-1.3436765

As far as I can figure out , both sides of the debate have offended.

Anyone who is fair-minded is appalled that dishonest measures are being employed in order to sway the debate.

Most of us who are on P.ie have identified those who we call Trolls.

Then there are the paid activists posing as "ordinary persons just expressing an opinion". There are a surprising large number of these . They disrupt discussions , attack those who differ in politics ,and propound ideas as popular when they are only confined to a particular philosophy.

My own method of discovering these activists is to look at the count of their posts , look at when they joined (you can get the date from their profile), divide by the number of years , and then divide by 1365(the annual national working hours)see

https://mywage.org/ireland/home/labour-law/annual-leave-holidays

Some of the avatars are especially industrious making one suspect that there is a team and not just a single person.

Am I a conspiracy theorist or do I have some justification for thinking so .Do the experiment and make up your own mind.

The Field Marshal

Poster username OWEDTOJOY admitted he was paid to post on the climate change thread.

[ about half of the many thousands of posts on that now destroyed thread are from him]

Wilkinson

Telstar62 maybe is a paid troll,but such is his level of intelligence in his posts, it's hard to ascertain if he is really out to cause harm to Israel.
If he does get paid,i bet it's in Dolly Mixtures or Dinky toys.

_FARAH_

So why does it matter even if it is true ? Its nothing illegal.

The Field Marshal

razorblade

Why would anyone be paid to come on here when there's far bigger platforms elsewhere to do that.

Maranatha

Poster username OWEDTOJOY admitted he was paid to post on the climate change thread.

[ about half of the many thousands of posts on that now destroyed thread are from him]
I suspect newcomer "Buchaill Dana" may be getting paid to post as he has only posted on one thread since joining a few days ago...

Of the Sword

Well if someone is hiring.....
I'm willing to defend the indefensible!
Take any side of an argument!
Be warned would switch side for a higher hourly rate!
PM me!

razorblade

This is a small insignificant site by the scheme of things what possible benefit could it bring anyone to be paid to post here.

The Field Marshal

This is a small insignificant site by the scheme of things what possible benefit could it bring anyone to be paid to post here.
Poster owedtojoy is paid to post not just here but on other sites as well.

paddycomeback

Why would anyone be paid to come on here when there's far bigger platforms elsewhere to do that.
But a lot of them post on other sites too. I don't go on any other Irish boards, but an occasional look will see verbatim posts from the "usual suspects" on them with different usernames.

Spirit Of Newgrange

Is it Al Queda or Baku Harem that you belong to?
Farah is a member of the trouser manufacturing consortium.

on an aside, if somebody is on the dole and posting here all day ( or a civil servant, which is almost the same thing ) does that count as a 'taxpayer Troll' ?

bactrian

i have a large number of posts, why, it helps pass the day

All of us have hobbies. You would have to increase significantly your output before you would ping on my radar as a paid activist!!

shoneen

Does anyone honestly believe that someone will change their mind based on what they see written here ... or in fact in ANY comments section?

DaveM

There was a report in the IT yesterday about paid for posts on Facebook about the forthcoming abortion Referendum.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/almost-100-facebook-posts-on-referendum-were-paid-for-1.3436765

As far as I can figure out , both sides of the debate have offended.

Anyone who is fair-minded is appalled that dishonest measures are being employed in order to sway the debate.

Most of us who are on P.ie have identified those who we call Trolls.

Then there are the paid activists posing as "ordinary persons just expressing an opinion". There are a surprising large number of these . They disrupt discussions , attack those who differ in politics ,and propound ideas as popular when they are only confined to a particular philosophy.

My own method of discovering these activists is to look at the count of their posts , look at when they joined (you can get the date from their profile), divide by the number of years , and then divide by 1365(the annual national working hours)see

https://mywage.org/ireland/home/labour-law/annual-leave-holidays

Some of the avatars are especially industrious making one suspect that there is a team and not just a single person.

Am I a conspiracy theorist or do I have some justification for thinking so .Do the experiment and make up your own mind.
There are no paid activists on p.ie for the simple reason that p.ie is seen by next to nobody and could not be more irrelevant if it tried. It would be the very definition of a waste of time and money.

Spirit Of Newgrange

if you post a lot for free, does that count as doing some voluntary work ?

bactrian

There are no paid activists on p.ie for the simple reason that p.ie is seen by next to nobody and could not be more irrelevant if it tried. It would be the very definition of a waste of time and money.
P.ie is now the domain of Trolls, angry extremists, paid activists, spotty youths who don't know how to talk to girls and us poor eejits who hanker after the good old days when you could have a rational discussion.

P.ie has lost most of it's relevance , I agree.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies