• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Fairness across all of the Public service

realistic1

The Government and HSE are currently trying to recruit nurses into the HSE at 80% of current salaries. While this recruitment drive seems very unfair to me, I would like to make the following point that may make this sort of recruitment more acceptable to the public and potential recruits. I suggest that going forward all Public service/Government recruitment be 80% of current salaries. Why is the Nursing profession been singled out for such cuts? Is it an easy option for the Government as they know most Nurses will not leave patients on trolleys. Time to implement the 20% cut on all new entrants to the PS/Government roles in the spirit of fairness.

Simo Sepper

The Government and HSE are currently trying to recruit nurses into the HSE at 80% of current salaries. While this recruitment drive seems very unfair to me, I would like to make the following point that may make this sort of recruitment more acceptable to the public and potential recruits. I suggest that going forward all Public service/Government recruitment be 80% of current salaries. Why is the Nursing profession been singled out for such cuts? Is it an easy option for the Government as they know most Nurses will not leave patience on trolleys. Time to implement the 20% cut on all new entrants to the PS/Government roles in the spirit of fairness.
Why such little steps all the time, stop messing around, call it like it is. Total payroll and pension costs in Public Sector need to be reduced, substantially. 20-30%.
5 years in this mess and they are still pussyfooting around the place with joke measures. So please dont start a thread with some mini half solution.

Rocky

The Government and HSE are currently trying to recruit nurses into the HSE at 80% of current salaries. While this recruitment drive seems very unfair to me, I would like to make the following point that may make this sort of recruitment more acceptable to the public and potential recruits. I suggest that going forward all Public service/Government recruitment be 80% of current salaries. Why is the Nursing profession been singled out for such cuts? Is it an easy option for the Government as they know most Nurses will not leave patients on trolleys. Time to implement the 20% cut on all new entrants to the PS/Government roles in the spirit of fairness.
Is everyone being recruited into the public sector not at a lower wage?

I know teachers are, although maybe not at 80% of current salaries. After that is there really that much recruitment into the public sector at all?

firefly123

Why such little steps all the time, stop messing around, call it like it is. Total payroll and pension costs in Public Sector need to be reduced, substantially. 20-30%.
5 years in this mess and they are still pussyfooting around the place with joke measures. So please dont start a thread with some mini half solution.
Of course You've worked out how much that saves after tax and reduced spending etc? you haven't just plucked it from your ass?

Clanrickard

All public sector salaries should be benchmarked against other EU nations. Nurses in this country are overpaid by EU standards this simply attempts to bring them into line with other EU nations.

realistic1

All public sector salaries should be benchmarked against other EU nations. Nurses in this country are overpaid by EU standards this simply attempts to bring them into line with other EU nations.
Why just target the Nurses? easy option? Cut every new recruit including TDs.

Bobcolebrooke

Why is it unfair in the current economic context?

New entrants will be in a position to buy housing at half the cost or less than the price their colleagues paid, who entered service over the last 15 years.

Do you really think thet there are not 1000 nurses who will take these jobs to live beside their families, boyfriends, husbands etc?

Lots of kids inherit houses. Do you think nurses in who are inheriting a home or a farm will not want to take one of these jobs or emigrate instead?

sic transit

Why just target the Nurses? easy option? Cut every new recruit including TDs.
Getting good quality TDs needs an attractive salary. Do you think that they are all in it solely for the good of the nation? Couldn't see too many of the current crop embracing SF's "average industrial wage".

Bobcolebrooke

Getting good quality TDs needs an attractive salary. Do you think that they are all in it solely for the good of the nation? Couldn't see too many of the current crop embracing SF's "average industrial wage".

Sinn Féin T.D.s do not cost the taxpayer any less than other T.D.s!

sic transit

Sinn Féin T.D.s do not cost the taxpayer any less than other T.D.s!
I'm referring to their claims about what TDs take home as a level of salary.

Spanner Island

Of course You've worked out how much that saves after tax and reduced spending etc? you haven't just plucked it from your ass?
Seriously?

I'm so tired of this self serving argument - that claims pay rates and pensions etc. in the PS/state should be maintained because if they aren't then that sector won't be able to throw a few quid around elsewhere in the economy.

The rest of the economy has had to adapt one way or another. No reason why the 'state' shouldn't do likewise or why compulsory redundancies shouldn't be imposed when and where they're needed. The rest of the economy would adapt again if the 'state' started living within its means...

The world won't end.

You may have valid points ff, but this is not one of them.

Welfare and benefits need to be seriously tackled too.

BrightDay

Grand. But if you are doing that you need to consider other costs such as VAT, VRT, car-tax etc. as well.

ger12

But getting good quality nurses does not need an attractive salary.

Trainwreck

Let's just bin the "fairness" problem shall we?

Here is the job.
Here is the pay.

Do you want it?

End.

Bobcolebrooke

I'm referring to their claims about what TDs take home as a level of salary.
We don't really know what Sinn Féin T.D.s take home as I have yet to see a Tax return published.If Sinn Féin T.Ds really want to show example let them reduce the amount they charge the State for their service!

How many big houses has Gerry Adams?