Fake News Irish style.How long has it been goin on.

Wagmore

I totally believe the thrust of this document but my thoughts were stirred by the revelation in the last couple of lines.It states the forensics on the IRA weapons found at the ambush site linked them to 40 to 50 murders and every sectarian attack in the counties of Tyrone and Fermanagh during the previous year.40 to 50 murders FFS. I remember the ambush and the tone taken by the Irish media. As I recall, it was all about Brit hate and the illegal killing of brave volunteers.No mention that each and every one of them was more than likely a cowardly mass murdering scumbag that the Brits did the world a good turn by taking out if circulation.Who made the decision to not make this information public at the time.Tiocfaidh ar la scummers in the state services and media?Wonder what they keep from us today?

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017/1229/930082-state-papers-1987-gerry-adams/

Last edited:

Analyzer

Fake News has existed in Ireland since The Irish Times was first printed.

Niall996

I totally believe the thrust of this document but my thoughts were stirred by the revelation in the last couple of lines.It states the forensics on the IRA weapons found at the ambush site linked them to 40 to 50 murders and every sectarian attack in the counties of Tyrone and Fermanagh during the previous year.40 to 50 murders FFS. I remember the ambush and the tone taken by the Irish media. As I recall, it was all about Brit hate and the illegal killing of brave volunteers.No mention that each and every one of them was more than likely a cowardly mass murdering scumbag that the Brits did the world a good turn by taking out if circulation.Who made the decision to not make this information public at the time.Tiocfaidh ar la scummers in the state services and media?Wonder what they keep fron us today?

You could say the same about any soldiers from any army killed by soldiers from another army. Most of the guns held by German soldiers on the front line at the Somme had probably killed dozens before they themselves were killed. Isn't that normal in war or revolutions?

Ex celt

You could say the same about any soldiers from any army killed by soldiers from another army. Most of the guns held by German soldiers on the front line at the Somme had probably killed dozens before they themselves were killed. Isn't that normal in war or revolutions?
Sf/Ira murder spree did not anount to a war or a revolution. It was a nasty sectarian criminal conspiracy.
You have been watching too much fake news and hans christian anderson history sites.

McSlaggart

I totally believe the thrust of this document but my thoughts were stirred by the revelation in the last couple of lines.It states the forensics on the IRA weapons found at the ambush site linked them to 40 to 50 murders and every sectarian attack in the counties of Tyrone and Fermanagh during the previous year.40 to 50 murders FFS. I remember the ambush and the tone taken by the Irish media. As I recall, it was all about Brit hate and the illegal killing of brave volunteers.No mention that each and every one of them was more than likely a cowardly mass murdering scumbag that the Brits did the world a good turn by taking out if circulation.Who made the decision to not make this information public at the time.Tiocfaidh ar la scummers in the state services and media?Wonder what they keep from us today?

or what's done is done and what's won is won
and what's lost is lost and gone forever
I can only pray for a bright, brand new day

The Celtic Lyrics Collection - Lyrics - The Town I Loved So Well

Niall996

Sf/Ira murder spree did not anount to a war or a revolution. It was a nasty sectarian criminal conspiracy.
You have been watching too much fake news and hans christian anderson history sites.
Ah that old nonsense. You have no definitions or criteria to make that claim. One man's terrorist is another mans freedom fighter or revolutionary. History is packed full of the same old stuff over and over again. The ambush sounds identical to a million other similar events in a thousand other wars. Sometimes the British ambushed and killed the IRA. Sometimes the IRA ambushed and killed the BA. IRA/French Resistance/French Revolution/American War of Independence/1798/Boadicea versus the Romans etc etc etc etc - what's the difference?

paddycomeback

Missing the second G of going does not make you Irish. You obviously have no notion of reporting on RTE or in the Irish print media, which is relentlessly pro-British and anti "subversive".
I suggest you go back to your tea in your Union Jack mug and do The Sun crossword.

Wagmore

Yeah, but I'm talking about the propaganda and tone adopted about the "Loughall Martyrs." The European Court of Human Rights decreed that their human rights had been violated by the Brits.What about the 50 or 60 innocents murdered by these psychos.It's a "war" when the spinners declare it so.

Wagmore

Missing the second G of going does not make you Irish. You obviously have no notion of reporting on RTE or in the Irish print media, which is relentlessly pro-British and anti "subversive".
I suggest you go back to your tea in your Union Jack mug and do The Sun crossword.
Just don't like green-tinted lies and spin. In my eyes, the heroes that day were those doing the killing.How many more lives did they save.

McSlaggart

Yeah, but I'm talking about the propaganda and tone adopted about the "Loughall Martyrs." The European Court of Human Rights decreed that their human rights had been violated by the Brits.What about the 50 or 60 innocents murdered by these psychos.It's a "war" when the spinners declare it so.
The UK specifically did not claim it as a war and thus from a legal point of view they must be judged by that standard.

McSlaggart

Just don't like green-tinted lies and spin. In my eyes, the heroes that day were those doing the killing.How many more lives did they save.
It would have changed the tactics of the IRA. The number of dead bodies piled up in "Northern Ireland" in the end did not count for much in London.

Niall996

All countries honour their fallen revolutionaries. Including Britain. What's your issue?

Wagmore

All countries honour their fallen revolutionaries. Including Britain. What's your issue?
It's how the message was managed. Read OP.I think we should have been told the blood of 50 or 60 innocents was on the hands of the "Loughall Martyrs." I stress the word innocents.

Niall996

It's how the message was managed. Read OP.I think we should have been told the blood of 50 or 60 innocents was on the hands of the "Loughall Martyrs." I stress the word innocents.
I read your OP and you're referring to something you 'recall.' You haven't presented an example. And furthermore, none of us know who these 50 or so people are so we have no notion of their innocence or otherwise? The word innocents is just your made up word. Plus, were the media at time aware off the forensics? And where do we draw the line between innocent and non innocent victims of war anyway?

Wagmore

I read your OP and you're referring to something you 'recall.' You haven't presented an example. And furthermore, none of us know who these 50 or so people are so we have no notion of their innocence or otherwise? The word innocents is just your made up word. Plus, were the media at time aware off the forensics? And where do we draw the line between innocent and non innocent victims of war anyway?
Described as sectarian so you can assume that most were murdered for the crime of being Protestant. Information has only been made public now.Why is the question.That question has nothing to do with the rights and wrongs of war

Niall996

Described as sectarian so you can assume that most were murdered for the crime of being called Protestant
So if a catholic solider kills a protestant soldier in a opposing army he's sectarian or vice versa? How many BA killings were sectarian?

stopdoingstuff

Surely the biggest episode of fake news has to be that time CJH persuaded RTE not to cover the FG presidential campaign so that a blind Dev could take the election.

dizillusioned

Fake News Irish Style??? All you have to do is read the Garda drug squads victories ... the value of drugs in Ireland?? No wonder they all wanna get it into the country.

Wagmore

So if a catholic solider kills a protestant soldier in a opposing army he's sectarian or vice versa? How many BA killings were sectarian?
The sense I get is that it was a border campaign so that suggests it was Protestants, farmers, part-time RUC. etc

Niall996

The sense I get is that it was a border campaign so that suggests it was Protestants, farmers, part-time RUC. etc
Well if you look at the list of of IRA actions in the link below there doesn't seem to be anything in it in the year given in the report 1987 that shouts 'innocent' to me in the sense that these individuals wouldn't have been considered military targets in any other war. Or quickly reviewing the earlier years. Where are you getting your 'innocents' claim from?

New Threads

Most Replies