False alert issued in Hawaii re incoming ballistic missile

Beachcomber

Breaking news:

a false alert was issued in Hawaii referring to an incoming ballistic missile. The text and social media alert message stated "this is not a drill".

It's now being called a mistake.

But it took 38 minutes to retract the message.

Betson

CNN saying security forces look into to see if the warning system was hacked or was it just a mistake.

OrderoftheDragon

Well I presume nobody wants to make the same mistakes as '41....

Beachcomber

CNN saying security forces look into to see if the warning system was hacked or was it just a mistake.
Maybe it was deliberate.

It's some mistake to make if that's what it was. Surely a single person isn't able to issue such a message. As someone on CNN just said, surely the language in the message should never get typed, never mind typed by one person and then checked and released by a second person.

Betson

Maybe it was deliberate.

It's some mistake to make if that's what it was. Surely a single person isn't able to issue such a message. As someone on CNN just said, surely the language in the message should never get typed, never mind typed by one person and then checked and released by a second person.
I assume it is all computerized and does not rely on any manual intervention to type or send out messages..

Beachcomber

False alarm + idiot president = ???

The idiot president may be responsible. I wouldn't put it past him to have had this alert issued, in order to ramp up the worry about the threat of North Korea.

Beachcomber

I assume it is all computerized and does not rely on any manual intervention to type or send out messages..
Rubbish.

You think a computer alone decides to issue such messages?

Is the US using Skynet?

Beachcomber

Snowden?

Was based in Hawaii. Now living in Russia. Hacker.

qed

On the issue of possible hacking, what if the first message had been genuine, and then hackers had sent out false secondary messages saying that the first message was false?

Bill

Oh brudda somebody gonna kiss the donkey.

Betson

Rubbish.

You think a computer alone decides to issue such messages?

Is the US using Skynet?
Of course it is computerized , there are military test ongoing in the region. it could just be a case of warning system been set up for live instead of simulator mode etc by mistake.

But the text etc is already pre-stored in the completer , nobody sits down and writes out a Text when they see a missile on their screens.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies