False charge of careless driving

bagel

I'm notorious for my slow driving, rarely passing 55mph on the open road and 20mph in built up areas. A nasty individual has complained to the Gardai that I "drive like a maniac" and now I've been falsely charged with careless driving.

I believe I can beat the charge because there's no way my car can 'speed' within the alleged distance from a standing start while negotiating a ninety-degree bend because its only a couple of dozen yards and my car is quite old with a small engine that happens to be very loud.

I need to be able to provide irrefutable evidence in writing to the Judge of how quick from zero to 30mph is the 2000-'07 version Opel/Vauxhall Agila 1ltr and how far it can travel in that time, but I don't know how to go about acquiring this information.
I'd be extremely grateful for any guidance anybody can give me. Thanks.

Old Mr Grouser

I'm notorious for my slow driving, rarely passing 55mph on the open road and 20mph in built up areas. A nasty individual has complained to the Gardai that I "drive like a maniac" and now I've been falsely charged with careless driving.

I believe I can beat the charge because there's no way my car can 'speed' within the alleged distance from a standing start while negotiating a ninety-degree bend because its only a couple of dozen yards and my car is quite old with a small engine that happens to be very loud.

I need to be able to provide irrefutable evidence in writing to the Judge of how quick from zero to 30mph is the 2000-'07 version Opel/Vauxhall Agila 1ltr and how far it can travel in that time, but I don't know how to go about acquiring this information.

So you're alleged to have done something that amounted to Dangerous Driving. [HIGHLIGHT] EDIT, my mistake - Careless Driving.[/HIGHLIGHT]

What was that?

What it that you are alleged to have done?

And what have you admitted?

Last edited:

seanof

Are you aware that speed limits are in kph?

Falsely charged? I don't think you're disclosing the full details.

You don't need to be speeding to be charged with driving without due care and attention (ie "drive like a maniac").

Glad you're not driving on my road.

max99

Any motorist driving at 55kph on a main road should be prosecuted for careless driving...
I recall an uncle of mine, many years ago, being issued with a ticket for driving too slowly on a motorway.... It's drivers like you, that cause potential accidents, while lines of traffic are held up behind you, and motorists have no option but to overtake, :roll:

Last edited:

bagel

So you're alleged to have done something that amounted to Dangerous Driving.

What was that?

What it that you are alleged to have done?

And what have you admitted?
Thank you for your response.

However, all I'm interested in is:

"I need to be able to provide irrefutable evidence in writing to the Judge of how quick from zero to 30mph is the 2000-'07 version Opel/Vauxhall Agila 1ltr and how far it can travel in that time, but I don't know how to go about acquiring this information.
I'd be extremely grateful for any guidance anybody can give me. Thanks."

Can you offer anything pertinent in this regard?

Dame_Enda

When/if the Gardai questioned you did you you have the right tone? In Eastenders and Corrie they are more likely to suspect guilt if the tone is too confrontational.

Last edited:

bagel

Are you aware that speed limits are in kph?

Falsely charged? I don't think you're disclosing the full details.

You don't need to be speeding to be charged with driving without due care and attention (ie "drive like a maniac").

Glad you're not driving on my road.

"I need to be able to provide irrefutable evidence in writing to the Judge of how quick from zero to 30mph is the 2000-'07 version Opel/Vauxhall Agila 1ltr and how far it can travel in that time, but I don't know how to go about acquiring this information.

bagel

Any motorist driving at 55kph on a main road should be prosecuted for careless driving...
I recall an uncle of mine, many years ago, being issued with a ticket for driving too slowly on a motorway.... It's drivers like you, that cause potential accidents, while lines of traffic are held up behind you, and motorists have no option but to overtake, :roll:

I could take your approach and ridicule you for your inability to comprehend what I wrote in my opening post but I'll leave it to you to figure it out for yourself.

All I'm interested in is:

seanof

Contact the manufacturer for factory specifications. Nobody will give you "irrefutable evidence" as to the performance of your particular aged vehicle.

If you're charged in an Irish court, then try to familiarise yourself with the metric system. Speaking about mph wont help.

Niall996

I think you deserve to be prosecuted for buying such a pile of crap car in the first place. Jesus, life is too short.

midlander12

Glad to hear it. I don't know how many times I've seen drivers like you nearly cause accidents. I suppose you could try doing handbrake turns in the court carpark. I'm sure the judge would accept it as evidence.

Dame_Enda

"Failure to make progress" was a potential contributing factor to failing the Irish driving test in the past at least (I mean for anyone taking it). That means being too slow.,

Old Mr Grouser

I need to be able to provide irrefutable evidence in writing to the Judge of how quick from zero to 30mph is the 2000-'07 version Opel/Vauxhall Agila 1ltr and how far it can travel in that time ...
Would this be the sort of thing that you're looking for? Opel Agila I 1.0 12V (58 hp, petrol, 2000) - Acceleration

However, given that the AGS must have had reason to charge you, it's very unlikely that there's irrefutable evidence that your car wasn't capable of that performance.

If you've got the money you could get an Expert Witness to examine your car and give his opinion on the allegation; but unless you've got insurance cover for that you probably can't afford it.

You'd do better talking to a good solicitor..

I don't know anything about Irish lawyers but here's a webpage listing the GRA's solicitors - Legal Assistance. It's a certainty that they're all competent.

Gin Soaked

0 to 100kph in 18 sec.
0 to 60 mph in 17 secs. So tails off quick due to brick shape and 57bhp motor.

Assuming short gearing for 87mph top speed, so 30 mph might necessitate 2nd gear. Also include 10 to 15 years of power loss and I'd guess 8 secs to 30mph.

Go somewhere quiet and bring a pal with a stopwatch. Also was it dry on the day of the drag race....?

Orbit v2

If you turn up and contest the case, I don't see how you can be convicted unless you say something really stupid (and wrong). One person's word against another (with nothing else) doesn't generally result in a conviction. If what is alleged didn't happen, then just turn up and say that.

bagel

Contact the manufacturer for factory specifications. Nobody will give you "irrefutable evidence" as to the performance of your particular aged vehicle.

If you're charged in an Irish court, then try to familiarise yourself with the metric system. Speaking about mph wont help.
Thank you seanof, I will do as you've kindly advised.

bagel

When/if the Gardai questioned you did you you have the right tone? In Eastenders and Corrie they are more likely to suspect guilt if the tone is too confrontational.
Regarding your first question, yes, I reckon I passed the attitude test.
[video]https://youtu.be/jPISMWa0SMU?t=16[/video]

Half Nelson

This is the kind of thing that makes my blood boil.

A person can complain that another was driving carelessly or dangerously and the burden of proof is then shifted to the accused, who must convince a judge of their innocence.
The law in this area is a begrudger's charter.

Even the Bible states that there must be two witnesses to sustain a charge.

bagel

I think you deserve to be prosecuted for buying such a pile of crap car in the first place. Jesus, life is too short.

I reckon you probably feel great about your hilarious comment and can't wait to tell your buddies down in the pub. Good man yourself.

Can you offer anything pertinent in this regard or does your knowledge not extend beyond the inane?

cunnyfunt

If you turn up and contest the case, I don't see how you can be convicted unless you say something really stupid (and wrong). One person's word against another (with nothing else) doesn't generally result in a conviction. If what is alleged didn't happen, then just turn up and say that.
100%.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies