False Widow Spider- let's just get rid of this pest!

JacquesHughes

It's Ireland's most venomous animal.
It's poisonous bite may need several days of hospital treatment for an adult. ( Well, they've got nothing else to do at the health service, have they?)
It's only arrived here in the last thirty years, from the Canary Islands.
It likes to live in our homes, (which , since we became affluent, are often warm and centrally heated).
There's some evidence it makes it's way into our beds and clothes - might like our body heat.

The weasel words are being trotted out; 'inoffensive' ie we're not actually a food species to it. We're a by-catch of living near a venomous animal that likes our houses.

They've been found in 18 counties of Ireland, at an unclear number of sites.

But......
We've got by through 12,000 years since the Ice Age without this addition to our eco-system and we DON'T NEED it now.

Do we have to wait for this to become the grey squirrel of arachnids?
The extreme passivity of the Irish government let's us all down; 'Isn't Nature cruel' 'Waiting for an EU directive on that'.
Will no Trumpian populist come along with simple solutions to obvious problems? LET'S ERADICATE THEM.

We're an affluent country, we have scientists, or can import them, there's a huge body of established good practice on the elimination of pests. There's an awful lot that can be done, and it's best and cheapest done at an early or middle stage. There's 'unfair' disruption of their breeding practices, pheromone baited traps, dissemination of sterilised individuals, targeted toxins to be developed or distributed, home owners could even be informed how to protect themselves and their children. If the Dail is completely out of ideas they should watch some PICK TV and see the New Zealand approach to 'bio-security'' where they know their impoverished fauna ( especially lack of pests) is something worth protecting and vigilantly KEEP OUT PESTS, even in tiny numbers.

Apologies if this has been a particularly one-sided post, unbalanced by contrary arguments. I hope someone agrees with me.

middleground

The need to manage invasive species and pests is well-accepted but doing it may be difficult especially if they have been here long enough to have already spread to at least 18 counties.

Baron von Biffo

It's Ireland's most venomous animal.
It's poisonous bite may need several days of hospital treatment for an adult. ( Well, they've got nothing else to do at the health service, have they?)
It's only arrived here in the last thirty years, from the Canary Islands.
It likes to live in our homes, (which , since we became affluent, are often warm and centrally heated).
There's some evidence it makes it's way into our beds and clothes - might like our body heat.

The weasel words are being trotted out; 'inoffensive' ie we're not actually a food species to it. We're a by-catch of living near a venomous animal that likes our houses.

They've been found in 18 counties of Ireland, at an unclear number of sites.

But......
We've got by through 12,000 years since the Ice Age without this addition to our eco-system and we DON'T NEED it now.

Do we have to wait for this to become the grey squirrel of arachnids?
The extreme passivity of the Irish government let's us all down; 'Isn't Nature cruel' 'Waiting for an EU directive on that'.
Will no Trumpian populist come along with simple solutions to obvious problems? LET'S ERADICATE THEM.

We're an affluent country, we have scientists, or can import them, there's a huge body of established good practice on the elimination of pests. There's an awful lot that can be done, and it's best and cheapest done at an early or middle stage. There's 'unfair' disruption of their breeding practices, pheromone baited traps, dissemination of sterilised individuals, targeted toxins to be developed or distributed, home owners could even be informed how to protect themselves and their children. If the Dail is completely out of ideas they should watch some PICK TV and see the New Zealand approach to 'bio-security'' where they know their impoverished fauna ( especially lack of pests) is something worth protecting and vigilantly KEEP OUT PESTS, even in tiny numbers.

Apologies if this has been a particularly one-sided post, unbalanced by contrary arguments. I hope someone agrees with me.
Well I can't think of anything we might better spend money on than chasing spiders.

milipod

Set the Vaccum cleaner to suck like fuuk.

Catahualpa

Website
irelandinhistory.blogspot.com
They need to be protected!

Has anyone gone to the bother to ask why they had to flee their Homeland in Africa and undertake a perilous journey to Ireland in order to seek sanctuary?

No of course they haven't!

They should be allowed to stay IMO

No one could deny that our native spider population could do with an injection of fresh blood!

JacquesHughes

It's not yet endemic. 18 counties is not yet ubiguitous. It's not yet 'out of control'- no-one in Ireland has tried to control it. False widow spider may still be vulnerable to ousting.
Some of the posters here are too pusillanimous, some are too defeatist.

Rhodendron is non-toxic, nor, I think is mink; they are nuisances but of a different character. This spider is actually a threat to our quality of life, in our own homes. When it fully exploits the opportunities here ( and it has survived so far from very unpromising beginnings), it may be impossible to eradicate without razing whole cities, and could be a significant recurring cost to many urban householders to control or curb on a house by house basis.

I know it's just one of a long list of invasive species ( gonnera, Japanese knotweed, giant hogweed, Lyme disease, rhododendron , then the mammals which are, by and large, harmless, though I don't see we should tolerate a population of coypu, all of which one would like to eliminate)…....but the venomous False Widow Spider may still be vulnerable to complete removal, IF our ambitions for ourselves were just a little higher.

And just think for a moment of the energetic action a powerful lobby ( farmers) elicit, with public funding and compensation, to eliminate Foot and Mouth Disease as soon as it appears. It's pile the corpses high and light the funeral pyres- and that's for an infection that doesn't even affect people!

Clanrickard

Surely it's better that the spiders catch other insects. That's why my house is full of cobwebs.
Yeah I leave the webs up. I'd rather the spiders caught those feckin flies and bluebottles.

Emily Davison

Yeah I leave the webs up. I'd rather the spiders caught those feckin flies and bluebottles.
To be honest I don't actually have a house with lots of webs, they periodically get hooverd up. But I don't mind spiders. What I really hate is bluebottles, and flying ants. I prefer the dead birds and mice the cat brings us over them.

Destiny's Soldier

They're in my house in Cork of recent years. The lie in their webs upside down. You'll notice their black-looking body from a distance.

If they are predating upon native spiders then it's time to eradicate them.
I brought one of those French hunting spiders in my car coming back on the Ferry. The little xxcker came all the way from the South of France and showed on my dash as we were coming off the boat in Cork. He's somewhere on Brittany Ferries now or else found his way onto dry dock in Ringaskiddy.

By the way: how can there be equality among the sexes if only men are called upon to do the spider catching all the time? Include mice, creepy crawlies and all types of other little critters in that category.

Emily Davison

By the way: how can there be equality among the sexes if only men are called upon to do the spider catching all the time? Include mice, creepy crawlies and all types of other little critters in that category.
Speak for your own man self. My husband is worse than the children when it comes to insects. If he so much as sees a wasp he goes do la li. Last summer it was me had to try and kill the wasp nest which was in a hole in the ground at the fence right beside the house. I wouldn't have gone near it only it was so close to the house and my second child has been stung a couple of times. So that you know throwing a basin of hot water with washing up liquid doesn't work. Himself though is very good with with the semi dead half mice.

Destiny's Soldier

Speak for your own man self. My husband is worse than the children when it comes to insects. If he so much as sees a wasp he goes do la li. Last summer it was me had to try and kill the wasp nest which was in a hole in the ground at the fence right beside the house. I wouldn't have gone near it only it was so close to the house and my second child has been stung a couple of times. So that you know throwing a basin of hot water with washing up liquid doesn't work. Himself though is very good with with the semi dead half mice.
What is happening to the male these days. Hen pecked emasculated through the media brainwash losing the basics and the capability to defend their families.

The OD

Spiders are good.

Flies are not good.

Spiders eat flies and thats my take on them.

Also, they sometimes bite somebody, but seeing as that person either ends up in a big photo story in The Irish Daily Mail, The Sun or the Indo, that's probably not a bad thing.

We should try get some real black widow spiders in instead.

The OD

What is happening to the male these days. Hen pecked emasculated through the media brainwash losing the basics and the capability to defend their families.
You can set up a patrol so.

220px-Dadsarmy_1.jpg

Destiny's Soldiers. They *may* like it up them.

Emily Davison

You will note it was a male who started the thread.

BTW how good with the washing machine and mop are you?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies