Fancy chomping on a lidl reindeer this Christmas? This is the place for you.

He3

Donner und Blitzen!

German discount chain Lidl is selling frozen Siberian reindeer leg steaks at €7 for a 350g pack as part of its deluxe range.

Lidl, which has more than 530 stores in Britain, said the reindeer were fed on 'local aromatic herbs and grass.

'They live in their natural habitat and have plenty of space to move around,' a spokeswoman said

Supermarket criticised for selling reindeer meat - RT News

Last edited:

chriskavo

They murdered Rudolph!:eek:

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
I have reindeer every year when I'm in Stockholm and it's absolutly delicious. I've they sold it in one meal size potions, I'd be at the front of the queue. The days of being snobbish about shopping at Aldi and Lihl are gone as far as I'm concerned.

Sync

It's really fantastic meat. Good on Lidl, it might tempt me in to shop there.

locke

What's wrong with selling reindeer meat?

The only critics there seem to be people who would do away with meat eating entirely.

And at least they are free range.

Would it not be better to save criticism for battery turkeys?

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
I was out shopping with my father and grandfather and little sister years ago (she was about 4) and someone in Dunne was offering samples of Venison. My dad tried some and offered some to my sister, who tried it. My dad then informed her it was Bambi's mother.

Any reference to the incident since has resulted in a look of disgust on her face.

bungo

You can get reindeer in Ikea already - sliced like salami. A bit rubbery but not bad.

He3

;)

Their outlets in Donegal may have a special on whale meat this week.

Chrisco

Fancy chomping on Rehn, dear?

Grumpy Jack

Donner und Blitzen!

frozen Siberian reindeer...were fed on 'local aromatic herbs and grass'
Do they glow in the dark? If not, they soon will...

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Russia-Set-To-Become-The-Worlds-Biggest-Nuclear-Dump-As-Lucrative-US-Deal-Edges-Closer/Article/201011315808868?lpos=UK_News_First_World_News_Article_Teaser_Region_3&lid=ARTICLE_15808868_Russia_Set_To_Become_The_Worlds_Biggest_Nuclear_Dump_As_Lucrative_US_Deal_Edges_Closer

Russia is set to become the world's biggest nuclear dump as a lucrative agreement with the US edges closer.

The deal - withdrawn by President George W Bush but resubmitted by President Barack Obama - gives the green light for storage of all nuclear waste from American power stations - 80% of the world's total amount.

Amid the tranquillity of the forests and rivers of deepest Siberia lies the closed nuclear city of Zheleznogorsk.

Green pools next to the river are already contaminated. Construction is under way amid the silver birches on extending this plant to house an overwhelming proportion of the world's nuclear waste.

Legacy

I was out shopping with my father and grandfather and little sister years ago (she was about 4) and someone in Dunne was offering samples of Venison. My dad tried some and offered some to my sister, who tried it. My dad then informed her it was Bambi's mother.

Any reference to the incident since has resulted in a look of disgust on her face.
Classic! You've given me a great idea for a surprise announcement after this years Xmas dinner! Lidl here I come.... evil cackle.....

junius

I bought venison in Lidl (or was it Aldi, can't remember) but it was the most delicious meal and I went back for another pack of it but it was all gone and I don't think they've had it in since. I have a pack of their Springbok steak in the freezer now - hope its as delicious! As for references to Bambi, have those people ever seen the beautiful eyes of calves or the trusting eyes of lambs! I don't eat a lot of meat and could never eat an animal I knew personally or even the offspring of one I know personally but if you're a meat eater, whether its a 'Bambi' or a charolais X bullock should not make one iota of difference!

He3

TheBear

I bought venison in Lidl (or was it Aldi, can't remember) but it was the most delicious meal and I went back for another pack of it but it was all gone and I don't think they've had it in since. I have a pack of their Springbok steak in the freezer now - hope its as delicious! As for references to Bambi, have those people ever seen the beautiful eyes of calves or the trusting eyes of lambs! I don't eat a lot of meat and could never eat an animal I knew personally or even the offspring of one I know personally but if you're a meat eater, whether its a 'Bambi' or a charolais X bullock should not make one iota of difference!
Lidl have frozen ostrich steak at the moment. At least, I'm pretty sure it was ostrich. Could have been alligator.

Podolski1.5

I'm told that Lidl also stock Ostrich and Springbok (antelope) steaks this week.

Mind you, at the rate the country is going down the tubes it may only a matter of time before we're queueing up for soup and cheese. Cannibalism, anybody?

asset test

We always have steak filled with a good stuffing and slow cooked for Christmas. Means you can leave it there for ages and it just gets better as it cooks for longer. So you can have any amount of dropper inners and the dinner is always ok. We don't like turkey, so that's the only reason for the slow cooked steak. It's always fab anyway.

Anyone know if Reindeer meat would be similar to say round or rib steak here?

I would try it. Maybe cook and eat it next week or something to make sure before the visitors visibly blanch at the taste of reindeer? Certainly would be a conversation opener/stopper.

Might have to have a bit of the real steak in reserve. Cannot make granny and mammy sick now, can we... even if they hate turkey!

junius

We always have steak filled with a good stuffing and slow cooked for Christmas. Means you can leave it there for ages and it just gets better as it cooks for longer. So you can have any amount of dropper inners and the dinner is always ok. We don't like turkey, so that's the only reason for the slow cooked steak. It's always fab anyway.

Anyone know if Reindeer meat would be similar to say round or rib steak here?

I would try it. Maybe cook and eat it next week or something to make sure before the visitors visibly blanch at the taste of reindeer? Certainly would be a conversation opener/stopper.

Might have to have a bit of the real steak in reserve. Cannot make granny and mammy sick now, can we... even if they hate turkey!
I would assume that reindeer, springbok etc... all taste just like venison - they are all just different varieties of deer aren't they? You don't usually ask the butcher if the beef you are buying is charolais, hereford or angus do you? I would think there is no more difference than that.

And yes, Lidl do have ostrich steaks at the moment. I put a pack of them in the freezer too. Also goose breasts. These 'exotic' meats I have tasted so far from these outlets has been really good and tasted wonderful - and I'm not a big meat eater, often preferring vegetarian options. What do you mean 'real steak'? The opportunity to purchase and try these sorts of food from local retail outlets is, as far as I'm concerned, one of the only few good outcomes of globalisation. Cook the reindeer, springbok or venison in red wine - look up recipes on the internet - appreciate and enjoy!

He3

P.ie world exclusive - how Prince William popped the question to Kate:

Reign, dear?

New Threads

Most Replies