Fantasist O'Callaghan is dead:

Strawberry

He did his best to undermine the Peace Process. That is something that I cannot help holding against him.
Same here. If anyone doubts that O'Callaghan was a fantasist just look up what he was peddling in the mid to late 90s - that he had inside information that the IRA ceasefire was a scam and they were secretly planning to go back to violence within a few years.

McSlaggart

WTF is wrong with people on this site. The man's dead. Leave it at that.
It should be noted that he murdered a family friend one detective inspector Peter Flanagan. I actually think the man was not well and should be remembered in that context.

Strawberry

Was that the only reason he didn't go back?
He would have been in danger if he went back too. Given that he did everything he could to derail the peace process and continue the Troubles I find it impossible to have any sympathy with him on that score.

johnny365

Same here. If anyone doubts that O'Callaghan was a fantasist just look up what he was peddling in the mid to late 90s - that he had inside information that the IRA ceasefire was a scam and they were secretly planning to go back to violence within a few years.
I sure the families of Paul Quinn and Robert McCartney and Denis Donaldson can testify that PIRA violence never really ceased it was just " managed".

SeanieFitz

I am afraid a lot of it was bogus. He was badly used by West Brit types. He struck me as a sad and lonely figure.
He got the same treatment as anyone else who "turned" against SF/IRA, vilified, abused, isolated, threatened, intimated, assaulted and, sometimes, even worse!

some don't even have to have "done anything" and are murdered anyway, as a deterrent

New evidence sparks probe into IRA murder of farmer - Independent.ie

I note the usual suspects are rolled out again to discredit Mr O'Callaghan, even when he is dead they still take a pop at him however witness how annoyed they got when effigies of Mr McGuinness were burned on the 12th (equally disgusting act)

The man is dead, leave him in peace

Bea C

I wouldn't have been an admirer, but we'll refrain from taking the balloons out, lads.

johnny365

He got the same treatment as anyone else who "turned" against SF/IRA, vilified, abused, isolated, threatened, intimated, assaulted and, sometimes, even worse!

some don't even have to have "done anything" and are murdered anyway, as a deterrent

I note the usual suspects are rolled out again to discredit Mr O'Callaghan, even when he is dead they still take a pop at him however witness how annoyed they got when effigies of Mr McGuinness were burned on the 12th (equally disgusting act)

The man is dead, leave him in peace
The disgusting smear campaigns that are launched against anyone who falls foul of the SF/IRA leadership be they "informers" or victims of sexual violence, shows us they are not fit for government. Who can forget the disgusting smearing of jean mcconvilles children.

Blokesbloke

Man is dead.

He won't be doing anything more, bad or good, and any truth or lies he had to tell have died with him.

Clearly a divisive figure but one who isn't around to cause any more issues now.

Blokesbloke

I'm wary of death threads since the anguish I caused by suggesting Bruce Forsyth wasn't very talented... :shock:

johnny365

I suppose one his most revealing bits of information was the fact that the Provo leadership had sanctioned the kingsmill sectarian massacre.

Blokesbloke

He turned into a sad pathetic figure in the end.
So many people do.

It's something I am terrified of.

No childer for me, at some point nobody will exist who gives a shíte about me.

Old age is scary!

SeanieFitz

Stop with your virtue signalling. He was a controversial figure and he will be discussed alive or dead.
ah but there is a difference between having a person being "discussed" and abused, mocked, vilified, accused of all sorts without evidence, ridiculed etc etc.

Blokesbloke

He was a controversial public figure and people are entitled to comment on his life, simple as!
I agree, but I think it would be better if the thread title used his actual name at least.

For maturity's sake if nothing else. If we're to discuss the man, his actual first name and last name instead of his first name being replaced with an insult might befit a thread for adult discussion, no?

johnny365

I agree, but I think it would be better if the thread title used his actual name at least.

For maturity's sake if nothing else. If we're to discuss the man, his actual first name and last name instead of his first name being replaced with an insult might befit a thread for adult discussion, no?
You are dealing with shinners here, they confuse smear and insult with debate.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies