• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Far-Right Nationalist Appointed Defense Minister of Israel - Avigdor Lieberman

owedtojoy

maxflinn

This is fantastic news for the BDS movement. Absolutely brilliant in fact.

roc_

The following article provides some good insight into his (Lieberman's) mind-set.

The Case For ‘Responsible Citizenship’ in Israel, by Avigdor Lieberman.

Btw Bill Clinton warned of this right-leaning tendency taking a hold in Israel after the failure of the camp David talks. Here is an extract from Clinton's memoirs:

"... Right before I left office, Arafat, in one of our last conversations, thanked me for all my efforts and told me what a great man I was. “Mr. Chairman,” I replied, “I am not a great man. I am a failure, and you have made me one.” I warned Arafat that he was single-handedly electing Sharon and that he would reap the whirlwind.

In February 2001, Ariel Sharon would be elected prime minister in a landslide. The Israelis had decided that if Arafat wouldn’t take my offer he wouldn’t take anything, and that if they had no partner for peace, it was better to be led by the most aggressive, intransigent leader available.
Sharon would take a hard line toward Arafat and would be supported in doing so by Ehud Barak and the United States. Nearly a year after I left office, Arafat said he was ready to negotiate on the basis of the parameters I had presented. Apparently, Arafat had thought the time to decide, five minutes to midnight, had finally come. His watch had been broken a long time.

Arafat’s rejection of my proposal after Barak accepted it was an error of historic proportions. However, many Palestinians and Israelis are still committed to peace. Someday peace will come, and when it does, the final agreement will look a lot like the proposals that came out of Camp David and the six long months that followed..."​

No doubt the Israelis are being pushed further and further to the right. (And not only by the hostile campaigns of the Palestinian Arabs.)

Last edited:

roc_

Dadaist

Good article today in the IT concerning Lieberman.

‘Please don’t write about Ya’ir Golan!’ a friend begged me. “Anything a leftist like you writes will only harm him.” So I abstained for some weeks. But I cannot keep quiet any longer.

Gen Ya’ir Golan, deputy chief of staff of the Israeli army, made a speech on Holocaust Memorial Day. Wearing his uniform, he read a prepared, well-considered text that triggered an uproar which has not yet died down.
Uri Avnery: Israeli politics bears comparison with end of Weimar Germany and rise of fascism

Before that, Golan received robust support from minister for defence Moshe Ya’alon and chief of staff Gadi Eisenkot. Probably this was the immediate reason for the kicking out of Ya’alon and the appointment of Lieberman in his place. It resembled a putsch.

Last edited:

YouKnowWhatIMeanLike

We hear clearly your intent in your emphasis.

But consider such as the following article:

‘A long and oddly intertwined history’ – Irish nationalism and Zionism | The Irish Story (Why did Modova Jews flee to Israel. Also you should look into similar anti-semitic incidents occurring in that region even today. There is a continuous history of it there.)
what's with the royal we roc_ . I haven't even mentioned the Limerick pogrom yet, stay on topic please or we will ...

maxflinn

Four posts in and roc is blaming the Palestinians.

RasherHash

roc_

what's with the royal we roc_ ...
"We" refers to those of us who are sensible to the more well known and well-honed directions of attack on Jews.

One such route is attack on Jews' lineage, blood, genes, and so on. In the current attacks on Jews in Israel (anti-Zionism etc.), what is sometimes emphasised are the "semi-Mongolian" "Ashkenazim" origins of these Jews. It is maintained that none of the forefathers of these Jews ever set foot on Palestinian soil, and that they originated in Asia Minor. That they are "false Jews" separate from the Twelve Tribes of Israel, in actuality being the despised descendants of Esau.

Now, I am not saying that you are aware or conscious of the entirety of the above stereotype. But in your emphasis on the origins of Lieberman as being in Russia, you are unconsciously drawing on this stereotype. - No doubt you have unconsciously picked it up somewhere in your rovings to find material with which to demonise and delegitimise the Jews in Israel. Point is you were drawn to it.

I am much more conscious of what this stereotype you are perpetuating consists of than you obviously are. So the 'We' refers to others also conscious of it to one degree or another.

Analyzer

Quick - somebody alert Jean Claude W@nker to use his special powers to punish the Israeli people for doing something that W@nker does not consent.

maxflinn

And now roc is on about attacks on Jews.

If someone started a thread about poor weather in Israel he'd jump in blaming the Palestinians and anti-semitism.

Clanrickard

Lieberman is a nasty individual compared to Jorg Haidar by some Israeli politicians. A really bad move by Nethanyahu which will do nothing to help the situation.

Analyzer

Hardliners get appointed to government ministry position on a frequent basis, in most Middle Eatern countries.

And nobody ever seems to notice, let alone start a thread to express outrage.

maxflinn

It is a sad indication of how fu**ed up Israeli society has become to see this.

BDS support around the world is growing like never before, and now this psycho is controlling the already evil, murderous IDF.

This maniac illegal settler: Lieberman is almost certain do something crazy very soon as the pressure ramps up.

The whole sick right-wing Naziesque government is going to implode!

roc_

Lieberman is a nasty individual compared to Jorg Haidar by some Israeli politicians. A really bad move by Nethanyahu which will do nothing to help the situation.
Moshe Y'aalon resigned, he said because he lost confidence in Netanyahu's leadership.

I have a lot of respect for Moshe Y'aalon. He took some extremely difficult decisions, but he always took great pains with those decisions, and always with the key decisive factor being that he as a good man should be able to look at himself in the mirror on taking those decisions. - He carried a great burden to do his duty by the Israeli people to the best of his ability.

It appears Lieberman is not of this calibre, and indeed has ideological impetuses which may drive him to take actions which would not pass usual standards of morality.

But as always in this conflict, how much do we 2500 miles away know really about Lieberman, beyond what is promulgated in a media riven by propaganda imperatives related to the conflict?

And how should one come to a judgement, if they are wont to pass judgement? Is it not by ascertaining as much of the facts as possible, and removing themselves as far as possible from pre-existing prejudice, sentiment and emotion?

I note this is not what is happening with Lieberman here. What are the Israelis saying about it? We are really only hearing the Haaretz side of it so far. And it is hard to hear anything really in the din of all the usual flapping predatory vultures descending on this development.

Clanrickard

Moshe Y'aalon resigned, he said because he lost confidence in Netanyahu's leadership.

I have a lot of respect for Moshe Y'aalon. He took some extremely difficult decisions, but he always took great pains with those decisions, and always with the key decisive factor being that he as a good man should be able to look at himself in the mirror on taking those decisions. - He carried a great burden to do his duty by the Israeli people to the best of his ability.

It appears Lieberman is not of this calibre, and indeed has ideological impetuses which may drive him to take actions which would not pass usual standards of morality.

But as always in this conflict, how much do we 2500 miles away know really about Lieberman, beyond what is promulgated in a media riven by propaganda imperatives related to the conflict?

And how should one come to a judgement, if they are wont to pass judgement? Is it not by ascertaining as much of the facts as possible, and removing themselves as far as possible from pre-existing sentiment and emotion?

I note this is not what is happening with Lieberman here. What are the Israelis saying about it? We are really only hearing the Haaretz side of it so far. And it is hard to hear anything really in the din of all the usual flapping predatory vultures descending on this development.
He has a long track record of thuggish statements and inflammatory statements. This will damage relations with the EU and US.

Clanrickard

It is a sad indication of how fu**ed up Israeli society has become to see this.

BDS support around the world is growing like never before, and now this psycho is controlling the already evil, murderous IDF.

This maniac illegal settler: Lieberman is almost certain do something crazy very soon as the pressure ramps up.

The whole sick right-wing Naziesque government is going to implode!
You will feel more at home here I think..........https://www.stormfront.org/forum/f41/

roc_

He has a long track record of thuggish statements and inflammatory statements.
So do nearly all Israeli politicians. But you know as well as I do that on closer examination, and looking to their actual context, these "cherry-picked" statements are rarely what they appear to be on the surface.

His essential position appears to be that any Arab-Israeli who makes violent statements or takes violent actions against the state of Israel, who wishes its demise, ought not to have the privilege of citizenship, and be removed as far away as possible from the state, where they cannot consist a threat anymore. Have you read this, for example.

Yes, he appears to be quite thuggish. But I am saying that without knowing much about him, and I suspect others are too.

This will damage relations with the EU and US.
I think the prevailing sentiment in Israel is that the EU have failed them by supporting insidious Palestinian Authority and O.I.C. "law-fare" initiatives, and showing certain support of campaigns like BDS (which any precursory analysis easily shows is dedicated to the demise and end of Israel and nothing else. You have to be either an idiot or an anti-semite not to see that.)... And the US have failed them by facilitating Iran to win such significant strategic advantage in their hostility and efforts against Israel, without any concession or receding of aggressive rhetoric and intent etc... So they are looking to "strong" uncompromising politicians without heed to these relationships anymore. - In other words, have the Israelis been driven to being beyond caring at this point?