Farmer finds book while spreading cow manure ---- ULYSSES--- for mugs.

12 bens

Is it true that as part of his Presidential responsibilities, Michael D will stand upon the dung heap and read Ulysses to any citizen as they dig the grape upon the shíte...or is that just metaphor for the office of President?
Wrong thread!

Go to the Finnegans Wake thread...NOW.

Verhofstadt

Website
Confirmation, if such were needed, of the validity of my view.
If he rates Ulysses as the most overrated novel, dare one guess which novels he rates?

TFMs top five novels.. anyone?

Huxley's "A Brave New World" ?

C.S. Lewis perhaps

Last edited:

The Field Marshal

Confirmation, if such were needed, of the validity of my view.
Ulysses is an over rated book.
Only poorly
educated people are deceived into thinking it contains anything of real value.

Joyce knew his talent was mediocre and compensated for it by deliberately fostering inane obscurity and trite word play.

Idiotic socially backward American scholars are the principal culprits in promoting this mediocre novel.

12 bens

Ulysses is an over rated book.
Only poorly
educated people are deceived into thinking it contains anything of real value.

Joyce knew his talent was mediocre and compensated for it by deliberately fostering inane obscurity and trite word play.

Idiotic socially backward American scholars are the principal culprits in promoting this mediocre novel.
...yes but have you read Ulysses?

Its hard to follow, but I read it that Stephen is gone for a walk on the strand. I am confused if its him or Bloom, but I think its Stephen. The dog is sniffing around. I take that to refer to the dog looking for information, news from sent. Everyone is out to hear the gossip and so is the dog, Stephen is looking for more than news, he is searching for a more basic answer (meaning of life perhaps). Then the dog pisses, then Stephen pisses.

Next there is a couple courting in the grass near the beach. Is it Stephen of Bloom sees this. Bloom is a day dreamer, and its not just floral arrangements he is thinking of. He is a Walter Mitty type. Joyce is using imagery and I still think he suffers from synesstesia. He sees everything in colour. A fella called Duignam has died and of course there is a funeral.
Don't give in to the temptation to micro-analyse. A lot of the layers are removed when rereading at a future point.

12 bens

Don't give in to the temptation to micro-analyse. A lot of the layers are removed when rereading at a future point.
Indeed, but should one avail of annotations on a first reading?

'Tis a very important bone on contention among Joyceans.

The Field Marshal

...yes but have you read Ulysses?
Yes.
I have also read Finnegans Wake.
Both a complete waste of my time.

Mediocre works at best.
The status of Joyce as some literary giant is completely false.

statsman

If he rates Ulysses as the most overrated novel, dare one guess which novels he rates?

TFMs top five novels.. anyone?

Huxley's "A Brave New World" ?
The Collegians by Gerald Griffin
The Nowlans by the brothers Banim
The Key Above the Door by Maurice Walsh
Her Irish Heritage by Annie MP Smithson
Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure by John Cleland

Just a wild guess.

The Field Marshal

What did think of Mr Deasy's politics in the Nestor episode?
Antisemitism was a well worn literary device even when Joyce was scribbling his drivel.
That he invokes it so crudely merely proves the paucity of what passes for a literary imagination.

12 bens

Antisemitism was a well worn literary device even when Joyce was scribbling his drivel.
That he invokes it so crudely merely proves the paucity of what passes for a literary imagination.
Antisemitism is very much a triptych in Ulysses; Haines, Deasy and the Citizen.

It was more your view of Deasy's weltanschauung that interests me.

Fr Peter McWhinger

Oliver Gogarty got himself into a spot of bother on account of Anti Semitism became the subject a lawsuit brought forth by Harry Sinclair, a Jewish art dealer, who said that two passages in the book contained libels against himself and his recently deceased twin brother, William Sinclair

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/As_I_Was_Going_Down_Sackville_Street

The Field Marshal

Antisemitism is very much a triptych in Ulysses; Haines, Deasy and the Citizen.

It was more your view of Deasy's weltanschauung that interests me.
You have now moved from asking me about Deasys,s political views to his philosophical views.
When you have yourself sorted , if ever, concerning what precisely you want to know, please revert to me.

What is the mythical mystical link between tons of cow dung and a novel, one wonders.

The Field Marshal

What is the mythical mystical link between tons of cow dung and a novel, one wonders.
The tons of cow dung are the perfect metaphor for the writings of James Joyce.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies