• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Farmers against fox hunting:

rubensni

The Farmers Against Fox Hunting and Trespass group is staging a protest at the Department of Agriculture today in support of a ban on fox hunting.

The group supports drag hunting on a defined route. It claims the “vast majority” of farmers did not want hunts on their land.

Here's the details of today's protest:

Farmers protest against fox-hunting - The Irish Times - Wed, Oct 13, 2010

The following is a leaflet about the group:
[ame="http://www.scribd.com/doc/17651383/Farmers-Against-Foxhunting-and-Trespass-Leaflet"]Farmers Against Foxhunting and Trespass Leaflet@@AMEPARAM@@document_id=17651383&access_key=key-2s8bxnhamla56g82ibk&@@AMEPARAM@@17651383@@AMEPARAM@@key-2s8bxnhamla56g82ibk[/ame]

Interesting to see a coalition of farmers that support a ban on hunting.

Last edited:

Odyessus

The Farmers Against Fox Hunting and Trespass group is staging a protest at the Department of Agriculture today in support of a ban on fox hunting.

The group supports drag hunting on a defined route. It claims the “vast majority” of farmers did not want hunts on their land.

Here's the details of today's protest:

Farmers protest against fox-hunting - The Irish Times - Wed, Oct 13, 2010

The following is a leaflet about the group:
Farmers Against Foxhunting and Trespass Leaflet

Interesting to see a coalition that supports a ban on hunting!

What percentage of farmers does this organisation represent?

meriwether

Little known fact, farmers don't like fox hunting.

When people talk about 'rural Ireland wants to hunt', farmers don't want their fences trampled and stock scattered by marauding packs of horses and hounds.

In any event, its far easier to burn the foxes out of the set and bash him with a shovel. Far more cost effective than horses and hounds.

Sync

I'm in support of their aims, but honestly, a little dignity please. Although I suppose if you don't dress up you don't get the photo, or the attention you want. Still, if this was the best shot it's unintentionally hilarious.

The groups been around for a couple of years, no idea how many members. Their Myspace page might have it.

harryshounds

What percentage of farmers does this organisation represent?
a very small %. the ifa supports hunting. i hunt, all the land i hunt on is owned by farmers that give me permission to hunt away. they are quite happy to see someone hunt foxes for em. i hunt hounds on foot not horse back. hunting wouldnt exist if farmers were against it. alot of hunters are farmers them selves

smitchy2

The majority of fox hunters are elitist and landowners.

Why we continue to have a disgusting sport that was started by the British landowner class is beyond me.
The people who participate in this are generally descendants of this lineage.

harryshounds

Why we continue to have a disgusting sport that was started by the British landowner class is beyond me.
bxll************************. i hunt hounds on foot, most hunting in ireland is on foot not horse back. all men i've met through hunting are working class or small farmers, certainly not landed gentry. there some of the horse brigade that are of the gentry type but cant tar every one that hunts as brit ruling class, in fact i hunt sometimes with lads along the border who wouldnt like it one bit to be called british ruling class.

Casualbets

I'm in support of their aims, but honestly, a little dignity please. Although I suppose if you don't dress up you don't get the photo, or the attention you want. Still, if this was the best shot it's unintentionally hilarious.

The groups been around for a couple of years, no idea how many members. Their Myspace page might have it.
There seems to be more placards than people.

Mind you, the three ladies in the front are kind of cute in an odd menopausal way... because.... THEY'RE FOXY!!!.... (Boom, boom... Tiscccch....)

padraig.od

In my experience farmers are not so much against fox hunting, but against people on horses trampling all over their land. A lot of fox hunting is done over the winter and spring. Land is generally wetter and softer over winter and spring so its easier damaged by horses hooves.

wexfordman

Do you not get embarrassed by making idiotic statements like that ?

You obviously have no clue whatsoever!!

Odyessus

a very small %. the ifa supports hunting. i hunt, all the land i hunt on is owned by farmers that give me permission to hunt away. they are quite happy to see someone hunt foxes for em. i hunt hounds on foot not horse back. hunting wouldnt exist if farmers were against it. alot of hunters are farmers them selves

Thank you for that. Being a city boy myself, foxes don't bother me, but I always understood farmers consider them a pest.

I have heard it argued that healthy foxes avoid human habitations, preferring to hunt in the wild, while old and weak foxes are driven by desperation to look for easy pickings on farms.

The hunt weeds out the old, weak and sick foxes, while the fit young foxes, who do not bother the farmers in the first place, easily evade the hunters and hounds.

This means that the hunt controls the fox population in a natural "survival of the fittest" way, rather than killing foxes indiscriminately, which other methods of fox control do.

Seems like an excellent argument to me.

P.S. This argument caused me to change my opinion on the subject. I was formerly opposed to fox hunting; having considered the above argument, I am now in favour of it.

Last edited:

sue flanker

Thank you for that. Being a city boy myself, foxes don't bother me, but I always understood farmers consider them a pest.

I have heard it argued that healthy foxes avoid human habitations, preferring to hunt in the wild, while old and weak foxes are driven by desperation to look for easy pickings on farms.

The hunt weeds out the old, weak and sick foxes, while the fit young foxes, who do not bother the farmers in the first place, easily evade the hunters and hounds.

This means that the hunt controls the fox population in a natural "survival of the fittest" way, rather than killing foxes indiscriminately, which other methods of fox control do.

Seems like an excellent argument to me.

P.S. This argument caused me to change my opinion on the subject. I was formerly opposed to fox hunting; having considered the above argument, I am now in favour of it.
Yes! and it's bloody good sport too! Tally ho!

Odyessus

Yes, I'm sure it is, although I've never tried it. Seriously, I believe a lot of opposition to fox-hunting stems from a resentment of "toffs" out yelling "tallyho!", rather than a concern for animals.

Have you ever heard anyone objecting to a small farmer hunting rats with a terrier?

MikeM55

Farmers severely threatened by foxhunting

Have to disagree...hunts cause absolute havoc on farmland. There are thousands of "hunt ban" notices in the provincial papers...but what really enrages farmers is when hunts enter their lands in defiance of a "hunt ban"...and this happens a lot.

This is why drag hunting is so ideal an alternative. Apart from taking the cruelty out of hunting, it avoids interference with farmers and their property because the scent can be laid in advance along a suitable route....so no angry confrontations with farmers...no galloping over fields of crops and chasing cows and sheep in all directions...or tearing farmyards cats to shreds in front of children (as happens)...just plenty of healthy outdoor fun for everyone in drag hunting...except maybe those who need something else from the experience...

MikeM55

rats and terriers

Yes, I'm sure it is, although I've never tried it. Seriously, I believe a lot of opposition to fox-hunting stems from a resentment of "toffs" out yelling "tallyho!", rather than a concern for animals.

Have you ever heard anyone objecting to a small farmer hunting rats with a terrier?
Such a farmer is not setting dozens of mounted riders and a pack of hounds racing across a field of crops or into the middle of a herd of sheep or cattle.

It's the damage caused by hunt incursions that annoys farmers, not the way the hunters are dressed. Drag hunters also dress up in traditional hunting regalia...but nobody objects to them

MikeM55

Arguments

If you were a fox about to be ripped apart by the pack you might not, with the greatest respect, like the "sport"...

If you were a farmer whose pedigree herd has been deciminated by a pack of runaway hounds, you might not like the "sport" either.

Cael

Its not actually their land. The land of Ireland belongs to the Irish People - as stated in the 1916 Proclamation.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies