Farmers need more subsidies.

valamhic

Farmers are the custodians of our environment. They do get subsidies from the EU and Irish government. These include capital grants and a number of yearly payments and a payment for extra environmental friendly payments. Suckler herd farmers get a special subsidy for maintaining the quality of their livestock and co-operating with Department of Agriculture monitoring schemes.

However many farmers have low incomes, some as low as 20,000 euros and few earning over 70,000 euros annually. Most are driving second hand jeeps which can be embarrassing if going to the bloodstock sales to buy and sell horses. They work hard, up at night during calving season and out in all weathers. They don't complain.

Surely it is time to increase the subsidies. The single farm payment should not be subject to income tax at all. When tax is taken out, a payment of 20,000 euros might be only worth 12,000 or less. We need to encourage young people to take up agriculture and the existing ones to stay in it. The EU pays most of the money and I suggest it be matched euro for euro by Irish government funding. Our economy is recovering and we can afford it. Please support and comment favourably.

The_SR

We do in our arses. A politically connected parasite class has nearly destroyed the industry.

They don't complain? Pull the other one, it has bells on it.

Imagine offering to pay bankers who allow the CB inspect them more.

devoutcapitalist

We have too many farmers in Ireland who are woefully inefficient at running their farms, all farming handouts should be abolished and just like New Zealand in the mid to late 1980's they should be forced to stand on their own two feet.

Survival of the flexible and fittest needs to apply to farming.

The_SR

Artisan/small farm produce has never been bigger and more lucrative. If farmers chose not to move with the consumer, that is their business, not mine.

between the bridges

Farmers are the custodians of our environment. They do get subsidies from the EU and Irish government. These include capital grants and a number of yearly payments and a payment for extra environmental friendly payments. Suckler herd farmers get a special subsidy for maintaining the quality of their livestock and co-operating with Department of Agriculture monitoring schemes.

However many farmers have low incomes, some as low as 20,000 euros and few earning over 70,000 euros annually. Most are driving second hand jeeps which can be embarrassing if going to the bloodstock sales to buy and sell horses. They work hard, up at night during calving season and out in all weathers. They don't complain.

Surely it is time to increase the subsidies. The single farm payment should not be subject to income tax at all. When tax is taken out, a payment of 20,000 euros might be only worth 12,000 or less. We need to encourage young people to take up agriculture and the existing ones to stay in it. The EU pays most of the money and I suggest it be matched euro for euro by Irish government funding. Our economy is recovering and we can afford it. Please support and comment favourably.
I've no bone to pick with farmers, but yer second hand jeeps which can be embarrassing if going to the bloodstock sales comment caught moi's eye, I occasionally pass the local mart and granted there's the odd wan still using baling twine for door handles, but the vast majority of both the vehicles and trailers are top of the range...

FunkyBoogaloo

70% of all monies Ireland has ever received from the EU/EEC/ECSC/Whateveritwascalled went to farmers. Would you like to take a guess at how much that is?

How much more do you think we should give them, before we tell them to f*ck off that is?

Dame_Enda

Farmers should diversify into renewable energy. The budget had tax breaks for solar panels on agricultural land. Food should not become the equivalent of the potato during the Famine, with farmers having all their eggs in the one basket.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No

I fear that things will go the other way entirely. At global trade level the Chinese will be seeking to eliminate farming subsidies in the EU and North America altogether as they are a barrier to entry to those markets. They will under WTO rules and philosophy have a very good case and increasingly will have more sway at GATT talks.

I think the effect of that is likely to be a phasing out of subsidies and farming in Europe as a result will become much more like farming in the US. Much larger holdings made out of many small farms combined and robotics replacing the human effort in farming at a much increased pace.

Assessing these dynamics I suspect that the days of the small family run farm may well be numbered.

GDPR

CAP destroyed farming in my view. Diversify and find new markets is part of the answer rather than all following the grant chasing dairy sector for instance. I've no issue with farmers receiving payments for environmental schemes to protect water, biodiversity and so on, for they are the custodians of the land.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

wexfordman

Troll alert

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Well unfortunately it will be the landowners with the big estates who will on the one hand prolong the EU subsidy and tax breaks and probably ultimately be the death of it.

In the UK there are huge country estates raking in EU subsidy and national tax breaks which is not what was intended for these kinds of financial support.

the secretary

Farmers need to change their methods. This applies particularly to the West as they need to keep less stock and adapt better to the wetter climate.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
If your business model absolutely depends on subsidies to keep going then you need to find another business model that doesn't. And fast.

blinding

Farmers are Gods and should be worshipped as such .

Ye lot would be no good at a farming crisis on a wet windy Saturday night in December .

Get back under yer’e Duvets......

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I acknowledge that it is the sort of life that one generally has to be born into to understand.

Only problem is that if we have a lot of small to medium sized farms that depend on subsidy to keep going what happens when the subsidy is removed?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies