• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Farmleigh economic forum

Mikecp

There is an economic forum on at Farmleigh this weekend.

http://www.businessandleadership.com/news/article/15464/leadership/key-business-leaders-for-forum

On Matt Coopers show yesterday Minsiter Micheal Martin mentioned that this is costing €300k despite the fact that all participants are travelling at their own expence and are giving frrely their own time and expertise..

My question is if they are all participating at their own expense where does the € 300k come from, and how much do similar events cost when people are not so generous....

DCon

They are all going to Croke park for the All-Ireland final. Must not be cheap.

Our government are accustomed to treating themselves like Kings. Is not cheap.

I have no issue in treating those coming to the forum well, as they should be thanked for coming, but any lavishing on our useless government should be done away with.

I also notice FF are giving no credit to David McWilliams for them (belatedly) acting on his idea.

Hal

Business And Leadership: Key business leaders due at Farmleigh in September - Leadership

On Matt Coopers show yesterday Minsiter Micheal Martin mentioned that this is costing €300k despite the fact that all participants are travelling at their own expence and are giving frrely their own time and expertise..

My question is if they are all participating at their own expense where does the € 300k come from, and how much do similar events cost when people are not so generous....
Security, catering and transport while they’re here.

powderfinger

They are all going to Croke park for the All-Ireland final. Must not be cheap.

Our government are accustomed to treating themselves like Kings. Is not cheap.

I have no issue in treating those coming to the forum well, as they should be thanked for coming, but any lavishing on our useless government should be done away with.

I also notice FF are giving no credit to David McWilliams for them (belatedly) acting on his idea.
A call to Richie or Eugene should get a fistful of tix.
Do Anglo still box in Croker?

stanley

Business And Leadership: Key business leaders due at Farmleigh in September - Leadership

JOD probably chairing the meeting as "the nuetral CC", Kate Anne will be taking the notes, therefore everything has to be Roll Royce standard, arrival at Croker will be like the Queen of Sheba's entry, will luck though the crowd will answer them.

Have to say I'm with Mick O'Leary on this one who says it is a total waste of time, they should get some real business leaders around a table to sort it out, as he rightly says what the hell is Bob Geldoff doing there, I agree he is the King of the free-loaders.

stanley

Wonder which of the FF'ers breaks ranks and starts going for the "personal political donations" or will they look for a corporate donation requesting the payee to be left blank, ala Pee Flynn.

No way the FF'ers will leave the high rollers away for nothing, State entertainment means less money for them, the books have to be balanced, in their favour.

Terry O'Connor

Hello,

re: Live Forum Streaming

I am delighted this discussion is taking place as I have a quick question.

I hope you'll forgive me for barging in but I'd rather not open a new thread.

To the point. Towards the end of today's Irish Times article Farmleigh forum aims to create new ideas for recovery - The Irish Times - Fri, Sep 18, 2009 it mentions live streaming of the Farmleigh Forum.

Would anyone know where on the net I could find this as I'd be interested in having a listen-in to the proceedings.

Gratefully

Terry

MsAnneThrope

I just hope they remember to bring a sandwich and a few cocktail sausages out to Michael Wall, waiting in the bus outside. A cup of tea if it's chilly too...

powderfinger

Hello,

re: Live Forum Streaming

I am delighted this discussion is taking place as I have a quick question.

I hope you'll forgive me for barging in but I'd rather not open a new thread.

To the point. Towards the end of today's Irish Times article Farmleigh forum aims to create new ideas for recovery - The Irish Times - Fri, Sep 18, 2009 it mentions live streaming of the Farmleigh Forum.

Would anyone know where on the net I could find this as I'd be interested in having a listen-in to the proceedings.

Gratefully

Terry
More here Terry.

Global Irish Economic Forum | Dublin, 18-20 September 2009

http://www.globalirishforum.ie/ForumVideoClips.aspx

mmrebel

Full text of Taoiseach's opening address

A Chairde Gael,

Cuirim cead mile fáilte romhaimh anseo go Farmleigh inniu. Do chuid agaibh is teacht abhaile atá i gceist, do dhaoine eile is cuairt ar tír bhur sinsir. Ach dúinn uilig is teacht le cheile ata anseo do chlann mór na hÉireann.

I am honoured to welcome all of you to the inaugural Global Irish Economic Forum.

The time and effort you have taken to attend the Forum is deeply appreciated by me personally, and by the Government.

This is a unique occasion. While many of you have a longstanding history of meeting and engaging with the Irish Government, this is the first occasion that the most influential and succesful members of our global community have assembled in one place and with a common purpose.

I hope our discussions will lead to a number of practical outcomes to help with the current economic challenge. However, they should also take a longer term view of the relationship between Ireland and its diaspora and how we can deliver sustainable progress in the years to come.

There is, of course, no exclusive definition of what it means to be Irish.

Nor should there be. We are a country of just over 4 million people yet millions more around the world claim Irish descent. We are proud of our diaspora and view all those who have an affinity with our island as a great resource.
Read the full text RTÉ News: Taoiseach's opening address

The Field Marshal

This is needed to fund the Jordan directed DVD

As everybody knows know Bob Geldof, Moya Doherty, & Neill Jordan are all
attending this glittering social event on a par with the balls presented in Dublin Castle at the heyday of the Act of Union.!

All this event this will be packaged and sold as a DVD with Jordan directing.

Its going to be called "Namadance."

Geldoff will have a leading role.

Proceeds from sales have been confidently predicted to clear the national debt

greengoose2

So is this Michael O'Leary showing his true colours on his views in Ireland?

"Ryanair chief executive Michael O’Leary is one of the executives who were invited but declined to attend."

Robinson offers to advise Government - The Irish Times - Fri, Sep 04, 2009
This little bash is not in the same league as Davos!

O'Leary is a very shrewd operator and his success is undisputed. You may discuss his means but the fact remains that his thing works. Now most if not all his detractors are simply begrugers and non achievers. It sums up the economic woes we are having. That and the fact that the successful Irish are doing their thing outside of Ireland.

Captain Con O'Sullivan

Full text of Taoiseach's opening address

A Chairde Gael,

Cuirim cead mile fáilte romhaimh anseo go Farmleigh inniu. Do chuid agaibh is teacht abhaile atá i gceist, do dhaoine eile is cuairt ar tír bhur sinsir. Ach dúinn uilig is teacht le cheile ata anseo do chlann mór na hÉireann.

I am honoured to welcome all of you to the inaugural Global Irish Economic Forum.

The time and effort you have taken to attend the Forum is deeply appreciated by me personally, and by the Government.

This is a unique occasion. While many of you have a longstanding history of meeting and engaging with the Irish Government, this is the first occasion that the most influential and succesful members of our global community have assembled in one place and with a common purpose.

I hope our discussions will lead to a number of practical outcomes to help with the current economic challenge. However, they should also take a longer term view of the relationship between Ireland and its diaspora and how we can deliver sustainable progress in the years to come.

There is, of course, no exclusive definition of what it means to be Irish.

Nor should there be. We are a country of just over 4 million people yet millions more around the world claim Irish descent. We are proud of our diaspora and view all those who have an affinity with our island as a great resource.
Read the full text RTÉ News: Taoiseach's opening address
As a member of the diaspora Cowen is so proud of I regret I cannot return the compliment.

I'm not surprised that he regards those who emigrated as a 'great resource', given that it means untold thousands of unemployed people not on the dole in Ireland.