FAS CE Schemes Supervisors

johnboy

Many of us are aware of the valuable contribution that FAS Community Employment schemes have brought to communities throughout the the country.

I know of at least three CE schemes where supervisors are still employed by FAS where these people have gone way past the statutory retirement age of 60 and 65. Infact I am aware of one supervisor in Co. Galway who is in his late 70's and still drawing a salary from FAS. I would like to ask the question why special provisions made by FAS to allow these people to comtinue on long after the Statutory Retirement Age?.

I would also like to know who appoints these supervisors and what qualifications you need to qualify.

JCSkinner

Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
Jinx Lennon said:
I pissed around for years, was a dead loss,
I ended up in a place called Fas learning about fork lifts and inventory.
On the last day the instructors told us they'd take us out for a feed of drink.
"You're on the brink of success" they said "now lads" in a patronising voice.
I knew I was going to be back in hole yeah, back on the dole yeah.
From Song of the Day: City of Styrofoam Cups - Vox

jerryp

" I would also like to know who appoints these supervisors and what qualifications you need to qualify. "
Being a card carrying FF member is often sufficient.

popular1

" I would also like to know who appoints these supervisors and what qualifications you need to qualify. "
Definitely, or FG for that matter

They had a scheme fixing up houses round here for old people and the work they did was scandalous. the supervisor had no qualifications what so ever he was from\ up the road and to think that this person was teaching the FAS trainee's is just mindboggling. But he was in the job till he died.

essexboy

In the country areas we have the Rural Social Scheme instead (a pet scheme of Eamon O Cuiv's).
Our local scheme is supervised by a man whose occupation is CE Supervisor; whatever the formal title that is his past-time which allows him to be active for FF - and harass the members of the local groups he belongs to.

drjimryan

if my memory serves me correctly, I think that cllr maurice ahernes wife is a ce supervisor of some sort in swords castle......I imagine shes over 65.....

johnboy

Definitely, or FG for that matter

They had a scheme fixing up houses round here for old people and the work they did was scandalous. the supervisor had no qualifications what so ever he was from\ up the road and to think that this person was teaching the FAS trainee's is just mindboggling. But he was in the job till he died.
That is my point, "No Qualifications" and probably in the pocket of the local FF TD.

louis bernard

You have to “know someone”. This is Ireland after all.

johnboy

My original post questioned why FAS are permitting CE Supervisors to carry on working long after the statutory retirement age when these roles could be given to someone younger and more capable.

I think we need to tell Shane Ross about this.

Akrasia

I have applied for a number of these CE supervisor jobs that were advertised in the last 6 months, I have a MA in community Development and experience of managing staff and I haven't even been offered a single interview.

johnboy

I have applied for a number of these CE supervisor jobs that were advertised in the last 6 months, I have a MA in community Development and experience of managing staff and I haven't even been offered a single interview.
You are far too qualified to work for those morons. With your qualifications you should be running the country.

A friend of mine works for FAS and obyained an MBA in business and has been rejected at least twice for Assistant Manager roles within the organisation. FAS will only promote muppets and yes yes people.

scitilop

You are far too qualified to work for those morons. With your qualifications you should be running the country.

A friend of mine works for FAS and obyained an MBA in business and has been rejected at least twice for Assistant Manager roles within the organisation. FAS will only promote muppets and yes yes people.
In terms of CE Supervisor positions, you are not correct - as with most positions in the community sector, highly qualified people are applying for these positions and are successful in their applications. I do agree though, the being a CE supervisor is no help in progressing to FAS management. They tent to promote from within their ranks rather than from CE Supervisors, who are funded but not employed by FAS

louis bernard

All very well and good, but do you KNOW someone who will put in a word? This is Ireland.

selfemployedmar

And you wont either, these jobs are already gone before they are advertised! They just have to go threw the motions just to been seen to advertise correctly, that came from a fas employee who was not part of the clicks...
He told me that was a waste of time applying for anything do with FAS unless you knew someone that knew someone. Sorry but this is Ireland thats why we are in such a shamble. Corrupt

johnboy

Can anyone out there in p.ie land tell me why FAS retain the services of supervisors on CE schemes who are at least 10 years past the Statutory Retirement Age of 65. It beggers belief when thousands of hard pressed individuals are loosing the jobs every week???????????????????????????????????????

C

caveman

Can anyone out there in p.ie land tell me why FAS retain the services of supervisors on CE schemes who are at least 10 years past the Statutory Retirement Age of 65. It beggers belief when thousands of hard pressed individuals are loosing the jobs every week???????????????????????????????????????
Because they either have dirt on their local TD or the local TD owes them a favour.

undecided01

CE Supervisors

Can anyone tell me whether it would be considered unethical to continue to hold the post of CE Scheme Supervisor after election to the county council when the scheme is based in the same electoral district, candidate is independent but it still means the councillor is determining the work that will be done by participants within his constituency and seems a bit dodgy to me open to allegation and abuse. Any thoughts.

wonbadood

Another useless waste of our hard earned money.. Fas Fairyland
I'm currently on a Fás C.E. scheme and working in a local charity whose rules & regulations are stringent except when it comes to the C.E supervisor. 1,000's of €'s spent yearly on items which have nothing to do with participants development. Endless empty promises of training etc. Many unhappy participants on this scheme but if you want to exit with a reasonable reference you must do it on their terms.
The charity is well funded by the state/taxpayers but seems to have no problem taking some extras via Fás.
The whole thing stinks and i'm sorry i got involved with Fas (again). I tried other courses with them in the past and it was like the blind leading the blind.
Fás=Probably the most useless organisation in the country

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies