• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

FÁS executive charged with €600k fraud

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
This definitely needs a thread by itself.....

A FÁS executive was charged today with 47 counts of defrauding the state training agency of more than €600,000.

Mr James Brooke-Tyrell (aged 53), with an address at Church Gate, Church Road, Greystones, Co. Wicklow, was brought before Dublin District Court this morning.

He was charged with 47 counts of deception by manufacturing a false tender, inducing FÁS while in his position as assistant video production manager, at Upper Baggot Street, D4, resulting in cheques being issued into accounts in the name of Yard Media, controlled by Mr Tyrell, from 2002 to 2008.
Read more: FÁS executive charged with ?600k fraud | BreakingNews.ie

iartaoiseach

I feel faint. actual accountability in a state body. it's a start, a late one but a start nonetheless.

DCon

I always said you should never trust people with double barrel surnames.

Pauli

Accountability? In Ireland? Surely not??? This is indeed a break with a long-established and utterly shameful tradition. I wonder who he pissed off!

HarshBuzz

Accountability? In Ireland? Surely not??? This is indeed a break with a long-established and utterly shameful tradition. I wonder who he pissed off!
let's not go nuts here:

I presume that FAS have fired the internal auditors and finance staff that allowed this fraud to pass undetected for six years?

Ger Nalist

does anyone know if there is a second garda investigation into FAS, possibly into overcharging, and whether this investigation is going anywhere

orbit

I presume that FAS have fired the internal auditors and finance staff that allowed this fraud to pass undetected for six years?
alleged fraud.....

People should be careful here, so that justice is done.

sandar

Hes probably and alolegedly a scapegoat for bigger fish but its something I suppose

controller

How come an Assistant Manager is getting done and not a manager?? Surely someone higher up had to sign off on paperwork??

sandar

if he was allegedly cretaing dummy invoices then the prourelment or purh aisng manager is the guy to be looked at

DCon

Digout (RIP) was severely hinting at such a fraud for a long time.

I wonder who the "ultimate beneficiaries" were??

LDF

Digout (RIP) was severely hinting at such a fraud for a long time.

I wonder who the "ultimate beneficiaries" were??
Where is the boul Digout?

sandar

the first few months are always the hardest to settle as well, leave it a bit longer and see jhow you feel,

sandar

sorry just poseted that in the wrong thread

DCon

Tommy Tayto

He's probably and allegedly a scapegoat for bigger fish but its something I suppose
Yeah, that was my first thought too. A sacrificial lamb, as it were. Throw a few crumbs to the little people to give them the impression that something is being done to combat alleged corruption. It's the same with John O Donoghue, a shabby PR stunt to deflect criticism from the big boys.

Sync

I view this as seperate to the lax oversight by the board though. This is a case of crimes alledgedly being committed. In any company, if identified, that would be rooted out. The main problem with Fás was the freedom a few members of the management team were given to expense pretty much anything they wanted. You can't hold a board responsible for an individual's fraud, you can for the systemic waste that went on.

I have known this man for 25 years, and am shocked. I believe him to be an honest and reputable man and have no doubt that he is being used as a scapegoat. I firmly believe that all these charges will be thrown out.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies