• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

FÁS fail to apply for EU funding in 2010, Ruairi Quinn calls for it's closure

Indy-pendant

Link to RTE story here:
RTÉ News: Govt has not applied for EU funds for FÁS

Not that I think that more funding should be shovelled into the FÁS-pit, but this funding is vital for re-training NOW. If ever it was needed - it's NOW...

With the variety of agencies who could do 110% better job than FÁS, WHY oh WHY could the Gov. not apply to have the training delivered by an agency other than FÁS?

Thoughts?

mmclo

Fair enough but the report says the problems were with the private contractors which might suggest less rather than more use of these

Indy-pendant

Can't argue with that.

But other agencies provide training, and are far more rigorous from the point of view of tutors' and agencies' contracts, delivery and evaluation of course delivery, etc.

Could the auditors not work through the stuff with FÁS, while the badly needed funding be used for upskilling / re-training with quality assured training agencies, such as FETAC centres or VEC?

This just makes me grind my teeth in frustrations... :(

making waves

Over the past 20 years FAS has been systematically privatising the provision of FAS courses to private companies. The private companies have been charging and arm and a leg (and FAS have been paying it) and providing a p*ss-poor service. Instructors are badly paid and facilities are poor (bad accomodation and poor equipment) as the private companies maximise profits (and many companies run multiple courses).

It is not surprising that the EU are kicking up about it - they should have done it 20+ years when FAS started privatising the course provision - but of course that went against the 'market is better' philosophy of the EU Commission. It is also not a surprise that the government have done nothing about it - they would have a problem admitting that the privatisation of these courses was a mistake and then recruiting the staff to do the job right (irrespective of the fact that the money would come from the EU).

cry freedom

Dept of Education flush with money?

On RTe news this morning [approx 07.15] it was announced that the Dept of Education were not applying for European structural funds for the time being.
This is tied up with an investigation by European auditors into the spending of Fás funds on outside examining bodies.
At a time when unemployed workers are crying out for retraining, this beggars belief!
What is going on here?
Will "Important to say" be enlightening us any time soon.
This stinks!

cry freedom

On RTe news this morning [approx 07.15] it was announced that the Dept of Education were not applying for European structural funds for the time being.
This is tied up with an investigation by European auditors into the spending of Fás funds on outside examining bodies.
At a time when unemployed workers are crying out for retraining, this beggars belief!
What is going on here?
Will "Important to say" be enlightening us any time soon.
This stinks!
I've noticed that this has been covered already by another poster.
Mods, please delete or merge as you see fit

4horsemen

Link to RTE story here:
RTÉ News: Govt has not applied for EU funds for FÁS

Not that I think that more funding should be shovelled into the FÁS-pit, but this funding is vital for re-training NOW. If ever it was needed - it's NOW...

With the variety of agencies who could do 110% better job than FÁS, WHY oh WHY could the Gov. not apply to have the training delivered by an agency other than FÁS?

Thoughts?
I agree with Ruairí Quinn's proposal on Morning Ireland - we should close FAS down asap. It is outdated and grossly inefficient. What people want, by way of re-training, is access to courses in IOT's and universities. Courses organised by mates and delivered in hotels etc have no value to job seekers and those wanting to re-train. The FAS budget [along with the county enterprise board budgets] need re-focussing on well structured programmes.

adrem

Ruairi Quinn - "Time to close FÁS

I heard Ruairi Quinn on this morning (Morning Ireland) calling in a personal capacity for the closure of FÁS and for the redirection of the training, skills and education budget of FÁS to the ITs and Uni's.

I have to say I think that is an eminently sensible idea !! (I know, me supporting a Lab idea - the world has clearly gone mad !!)

Any views out there in the world of P.ie??

Last edited:

Outlander

Ruairí Quinn: Shut down FAS

RTÉ News: Quinn calls for closure of FÁS

The bit where Ruairí calls for FAS to be shut down isn't particularly interesting, however the following is:

Following a European Union audit of FÁS last November, the European Commission said that in order to protect taxpayers, it wanted issues to be resolved before further funds were requested or paid.
Withdrawal of European funds because the organisation is at best incompetent, and at worst corrupt.

Wait till they take a closer look at where the rest of their money is going.

fizzgig

FAS, total joke. My sister registered with them about 15 yrs ago in a brief period of unemployment, has been working since. Few weeks ago she received her very first letter from FAS offering her a job.

Hewson

I heard Ruairi Quinn on this morning (Morning Ireland) calling in a personal capacity for the closure of FÁS and for the redirection of the training, skills and education budget of FÁS to the ITs and Uni's.

I have to say I think that is an eminently sensible idea !! (I know, me supporting a Lab idea - the world has clearly gone mad !!)

Any views out there in the world of P.ie??
It's not at all surprising. He said, almost word for word, what I said to my wife last evening after listening to the news item on FAS. It's an organisation which has become a monster that seems to exist to propagate its own existence. The Roddy Molloy fiasco was an indication of how disconnected the upper echelons in FAS have become from their core mission.

Time to redirect scarce resources into expanding facilities into ITs and Universities to improve the skill levels of graduates. Training units can be established at these facilities kitted out with the best of equipment and training personnel and a break made once and for all with the expense-culture bureaucrats who know nothing of the challenges that face 18 to 22 year olds in a banjaxed economy.

stalins granny

I have been unemployed for a year now, i used to be a self employed IT contractor but work has just died in my area of speciality. i registered with fas and applied to do certain online courses which carry IT industry recognised certififcations, i was told that the course i wanted would be to dificult to do online (despite the fas website offering it online and instead i would have to do it at a training providers in dublin (i live in cavan), i have done the course and the subsequent one at the private providers where i was told that they never offer the online course as the tutor driven course is far more profitable.So i can only conclude someone in fas has a vested interest in filling spaces in private training companies calenders, as the 2nd course i attended had 10 participants 8 sent by fas and 2 from a private firm.

stanley

Christy Cooney should resign from the GAA immediate and go back to Fas and earn the roll-royce salary and expenses he has been on for years, his reward for failure was 3 years as Pres of the GAA, who is fooling who.

Time to step up the enquiry on Greg Craig, hand it over to the Fraud Squad and get results, the guys at Fas are sidestepping everyone because the FF'ers in Govt let them and they do not want it all exposed.

Twin Towers

It's an organisation which has become a monster that seems to exist to propagate its own existence. The Roddy Molloy fiasco was an indication of how disconnected the upper echelons in FAS have become from their core mission.
Precisely, a monster propogating its own existence.

Brought my neighbours unemployed son for an interview for a short course at the local training centre one evening last week. Just 7 candidates there and 4 desks, 1 desk for each training course on offer and 2 FAS admins at each desk. 8 people picking up out of hours OT when one person would have sufficed.

Asparagus

Quinn Calls for FAS to be shut

Fás 'should be shut' - Quinn - The Irish Times - Fri, Sep 03, 2010
He said: “The entire retraining budget should be put into the institutes of technology infrastructure because the vast cohort of young people who are going to turn this economy around have leaving certificates.”

“They want up-skilling and training within the Fetac system of awards and they don’t need half-baked consultants coming in running half-baked courses in hotel rooms around the country.
Labour Policy?

I like it.

baldur0300

[Mod]Thread here. Closed. [/Mod]

stanley

Christy Cooney should resign from the GAA immediate and go back to Fas and earn the roll-royce salary and expenses he has been on for years, his reward for failure was 3 years as Pres of the GAA, who is fooling who.

Time to step up the enquiry on Greg Craig, hand it over to the Fraud Squad and get results, the guys at Fas are sidestepping everyone because the FF'ers in Govt let them and they do not want it all exposed.

From the Irish Times last May

"The serving president of the GAA, Christy Cooney, who is on leave from the authority since April of last year, was paid expenses averaging more than €20,000 per annum during his last years working with Fás, the figures show.

The figure is substantially higher than the equivalent figure for Mr Molloy, who tended to make claims for annual amounts ranging between €1,000 and €3,000.

Mr Cooney is an assistant director at Fás and is still paid by the authority. The authority is reimbursed for this by the GAA.

An assistant director at Fás is paid between €127,588 and €145,952, depending on length of service.

The expenses data shows Mr Cooney made an average of 200 expenses claims each year in the 2005 to 2008 period, with the vast majority of the claims to do with travel, meals and accommodation.

The spokesman for Fás said that in 2005 and 2006, Mr Cooney was assistant director general community services, and between 2007 and 2008 he was assistant director general human resources / organisational development."

The price of failure, he is just one of many in the Org, journos should pop down to Christy and ask him some hard questions.