FAS training courses

hammer

Can find the 1999 report

FAS - Training and Employment Authority

At the end of 1999, 36,579 people were employed on FÁS supported Community Employment projects throughout the country. The numbers on the Job Initiative stood at 2,198 bringing the total to 38,777 on Community Employment/Job Initiative.

There would appear to be a lot more on FAS courses than we think. They are not included in Live Register figures.

fiannafailure

This is a true story.

A friend of mine who until recently worked as an investment analyist was made redundant about 9 months ago.

He is a proud man and did not immediately sign on the dole, believing that with his skillset, he wrote a lot of the software required, he would soon be back in work.

Alas, after 3 months he had to bring himself to sign on and register with FAS, where he was advised that the economy no longer required his skillset and he should re train.

He was offered a course in basic computing. :lol::lol:

wombat

This is a true story.

A friend of mine who until recently worked as an investment analyist was made redundant about 9 months ago.

He is a proud man and did not immediately sign on the dole, believing that with his skillset, he wrote a lot of the software required, he would soon be back in work.

Alas, after 3 months he had to bring himself to sign on and register with FAS, where he was advised that the economy no longer required his skillset and he should re train.

He was offered a course in basic computing. :lol::lol:
The local VEC in DL set up courses to train students in newer trades, being a bit proactive as the building boom came to an end. Due to cutbacks, they need to layoff teachers. The traditional trades have seniority so we will continue to train apprentice carpenters rather than IT techs. Welcome to the knowledge society;)

Cassandra Syndrome

Gosh where's Tonic / Hal / Tonys and Petervalha ha ha today to defend this iconic government from such allegations?

neutral_lurker

Are people on these WPP courses included in the figure as well as they are not community employment courses - have you seen how many of them there are on the Fas website - if not included unemployment may be nearly double the figure released by the Govt

hammer

Are people on these WPP courses included in the figure as well as they are not community employment courses - have you seen how many of them there are on the Fas website - if not included unemployment may be nearly double the figure released by the Govt
If you are on a WPP ( Work placement program ) you are not included in the live register figure.

Cassandra Syndrome

Quick question. If a person signs on the dole and goes ahead witha FAS course, I take it they are still included in the unemployment figures?
They are not included on the Live Register. As for the Quarterly National House Hold Survey, I do not know whether they are categorised as Students outside the labour force or in employment in the labour force.

hammer

CS - you were right. No FF trolls to disclose the true extent of under employment in the State, just when we need to be powering ahead, we need more money available to keep the unemployed from the soup kitchen.

patslatt

€26,000 a year to train FASers

Can find the 1999 report

FAS - Training and Employment Authority

At the end of 1999, 36,579 people were employed on FÁS supported Community Employment projects throughout the country. The numbers on the Job Initiative stood at 2,198 bringing the total to 38,777 on Community Employment/Job Initiative.

There would appear to be a lot more on FAS courses than we think. They are not included in Live Register figures.
With the FAS budget of about a billion,it would cost €26,000 a year to train FASers if the 38,777 on FAS projects stayed on the courses for a year. How many of those actually find jobs related to their courses,as opposed to jobs they could have got anyway without the courses? There needs to be a focus on results,not inputs. If the results are poor as I suspect,it would be better to give the FAS budget to colleges of technology, universities and private trainers for adult education and training.

Christel

With the FAS budget of about a billion,it would cost €26,000 a year to train FASers if the 38,777 on FAS projects stayed on the courses for a year. How many of those actually find jobs related to their courses,as opposed to jobs they could have got anyway without the courses? There needs to be a focus on results,not inputs. If the results are poor as I suspect,it would be better to give the FAS budget to colleges of technology, universities and private trainers for adult education and training.
I was wondering as well when I saw Fas courses announced in the local papers whether they will help anyone to find a job. They are often very broad and cover all sorts of basic stuff. And if you hadn't experience with computers so far, I doubt that a FAS computer course will qualify you to get the job.

FAS creates some amount of jobs though, I suppose, for the trainers. On the other hand they will be part time workers, I suppose?

asknoquestions

I did a FÁS course over 10 years ago now and I found it was of definite benefit. It filled a gap in terms of applying theory I learned at college in a practical way. But the courses have not changed much in the past ten years although the economy, in Ireland and elsewhere has.

I reckon FÁS were listening to the multinationals in the 90s but they were listening to the developers in 00s and had far too much of a focus on construction. There still seems to be more construction courses than anything else.

Some of the computer courses seem to have potential but I reckon they should be doing more in terms of languages. There are a lot of call-centres all over the country with all sorts of European languages but they are staffed by non-nationals. Employees in a call-centre usually just need to be able to ask the same questions again and again and the business model is highly standardized all over the world so it's not exactly brain surgery.

There is usually a bit of a gap from doing a language in school to being able to speak it at work and this is where FÁS should be focussing.

kevmac

FAS are rubbish (understatement) they called me asking if I was interested in a job working as a sales admin role for 24k a year gross. Apparently I met all the criteria (I suspect because I lived within one mile of the place of employment) despite having 2 years chartered surveying and eight years financial services background. I've two kids and a mortgage so essentialy if I took the job I'm not even getting enough net to pay for the creache fees, I'm minding them at the moment so what is the point? Same with their worthless courses, how can i go on one who is going to mind my kids and pay for them? BTY my dole goes on our weeky shop so no money for a child minder

Newsy

No, if you are on a FAS course you are excluded
I also imagine that self-employed who have gone bust, are also exclued???? :confused:

wombat

I also imagine that self-employed who have gone bust, are also exclued???? :confused:
They are excluded from everything. Unfortunately, many building workers operated as sole traders and have no dole entitlement.

Newsy

They are excluded from everything. Unfortunately, many building workers operated as sole traders and have no dole entitlement.
I knew the self-employed where not entitled to dole. I am self-employed.

I presumed they were not included in the figures. Needed to check.

Thanks wombat.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies