• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Fast-track security

IDBI0

I was travelling through Dublin Airport recently and noticed that there is a fast-track security service for the wealthier in society. Airport security is not something people choose to go through. It is compulsory and very necessary to keep everyone safe. Surely prioritising people in a compulsory security check based on their ability to pay is wrong? I certainly think it is. To me it is the equivalent of calling the Gardai for help and being offered a speedier response if I am prepared to pay a fee.

brughahaha

I was travelling through Dublin Airport recently and noticed that there is a fast-track security service for the wealthier in society. Airport security is not something people choose to go through. It is compulsory and very necessary to keep everyone safe. Surely prioritising people in a compulsory security check based on their ability to pay is wrong? I certainly think it is. To me it is the equivalent of calling the Gardai for help and being offered a speedier response if I am prepared to pay a fee.

But they arent subject to any less scrutiny than any other passengers , they just have a dedicated line for those that wish to pay.

I can understand how people might see it as unfair but then the same could be said for the family line on the other side which Is often faster than the "normal" lanes

I use when travelling business early morning especially if doing day hops to London.It can be purchased with a car park ticket for Car Park A and I usually have a shoulder bag only and want to spend as little time in the airport as possible or don't need to be stuck behind a gang of 8 heading to Spain for a month with everything in hand luggage

Getting the company to buy me this means car park to gate is less than 10 minutes

Its fairly standard globally ...and if you dont like that you'd be really pissed if you ever saw the inside of an airline lounge ...free drink and food in calm well appointed surroundings away from the masses :D (some even have free masages)

Pabilito

Your analogy with calling the Gardai is not a good one as typically that would be in response to an urgent emergency where a timely response is critical to the outcome.

Paying for fast track security is simply buying time and makes sense if you’re under time pressure. I’ve often gone through security in a few minutes and then other times up to twenty minutes depending on the unpredictable nature of the queue.
To me the need for private medical insurance is a more disturbing form of paying to skip the queue.

Sexual Harassment Panda

Another way for the Globalist elite to differentiate themselves from us peasants.

IDBI0

But they arent subject to any less scrutiny than any other passengers , they just have a dedicated line for those that wish to pay.

I can understand how people might see it as unfair but then the same could be said for the family line on the other side which Is often faster than the "normal" lanes

I use when travelling business early morning especially if doing day hops to London.It can be purchased with a car park ticket for Car Park A and I usually have a shoulder bag only and want to spend as little time in the airport as possible or don't need to be stuck behind a gang of 8 heading to Spain for a month with everything in hand luggage

Getting the company to buy me this means car park to gate is less than 10 minutes

Its fairly standard globally ...and if you dont like that you'd be really pissed if you ever saw the inside of an airline lounge ...free drink and food in calm well appointed surroundings away from the masses :D (some even have free masages)
Airline lounges are optional, I've used them many times myself, security checks are not an option. Security checks have been imposed by the government on everyone, no one should have the option of skipping ahead of the queue. And I think you'll find that the majority of people want to spend as little time in the airport as possible. Quite clearly a deal has been done with the car park operators. There is no way this essential security service imposed by the state should be hijacked by anyone to make money.

IDBI0

Your analogy with calling the Gardai is not a good one as typically that would be in response to an urgent emergency where a timely response is critical to the outcome.

Paying for fast track security is simply buying time and makes sense if you’re under time pressure. I’ve often gone through security in a few minutes and then other times up to twenty minutes depending on the unpredictable nature of the queue.
To me the need for private medical insurance is a more disturbing form of paying to skip the queue.
I agree with your reference to private medical insurance but it is not the same thing. You cannot pay to jump the public treatment list in a hospital. And you should not be able to pay to jump the government imposed security check.

Pabilito

Airline lounges are optional, I've used them many times myself, security checks are not an option. Security checks have been imposed by the government on everyone, no one should have the option of skipping ahead of the queue. And I think you'll find that the majority of people want to spend as little time in the airport as possible. Quite clearly a deal has been done with the car park operators. There is no way this essential security service imposed by the state should be hijacked by anyone to make money.
Paying for Fast Track Security is every bit as optional as paying for an Airline Lounge as opposed to slumming it with the riff raff in airport shops and restaurants as you wait for your flight ..

As far as I know the DAA run the airport including the car parks and security.. yes the state imposes the security requirement but the DAA is responsible for delivering it and good to see that they are being creative in making the service pay for itself..

You seem bothered by people enjoying a service they are willing to pay for and a company making money from providing a service customers are willing to pay for…?

IDBI0

Paying for Fast Track Security is every bit as optional as paying for an Airline Lounge as opposed to slumming it with the riff raff in airport shops and restaurants as you wait for your flight ..

As far as I know the DAA run the airport including the car parks and security.. yes the state imposes the security requirement but the DAA is responsible for delivering it and good to see that they are being creative in making the service pay for itself..

You seem bothered by people enjoying a service they are willing to pay for and a company making money from providing a service customers are willing to pay for…?
I have no issue with people enjoying a service they are willing to pay for, however, this isn't a service. It is a compulsory security check. DAA is owned by the state and is carrying out compulsory security checks on behalf of the state. Fast track security is not buying a service, it is the equivalent of paying to jump the public hospital treatment queue while still being treated publicly. By all means pay for an airport lounge or priority boarding, but everyone should have to go through the same security checks without queue jumping.

Pabilito

I have no issue with people enjoying a service they are willing to pay for, however, this isn't a service. It is a compulsory security check. DAA is owned by the state and is carrying out compulsory security checks on behalf of the state. Fast track security is not buying a service, it is the equivalent of paying to jump the public hospital treatment queue while still being treated publicly. By all means pay for an airport lounge or priority boarding, but everyone should have to go through the same security checks without queue jumping.

Security in itself is not a service but the fast track element of it is a service in the same way as boarding is mandatory whereas priority boarding is an optional extra service.

Everybody goes through the same security checks regardless of which queue.

toughbutfair

The O.P is full of jealousy. Do you get annoyed at people having more room in business class, having nicer cars , better looking wives, nicer clothes etc ? Paying money to save time is like getting a taxi instead of a bus. If they could pay to skip security checks the extreme Muslims would do so and kill us all.

IDBI0

Security in itself is not a service but the fast track element of it is a service in the same way as boarding is mandatory whereas priority boarding is an optional extra service.

Everybody goes through the same security checks regardless of which queue.
You are talking nonsense.

IDBI0

The O.P is full of jealousy. Do you get annoyed at people having more room in business class, having nicer cars , better looking wives, nicer clothes etc ? Paying money to save time is like getting a taxi instead of a bus. If they could pay to skip security checks the extreme Muslims would do so and kill us all.
Nope, not jealous. Have often paid extra for better service. Airport security is not a service. It is an inconvenience imposed on every traveller through necessity. No one should be able to get around that universal inconvenience by paying money. As for your Muslim comment, I suspect you may have been up all night.

Hillmanhunter1

Nope, not jealous. Have often paid extra for better service. Airport security is not a service. It is an inconvenience imposed on every traveller through necessity. No one should be able to get around that universal inconvenience by paying money. As for your Muslim comment, I suspect you may have been up all night.
If you don't understand that part of the attraction of money is it's ability to make inconveniences go away then you don't understand money!

Money may not make us happy, but it is nicer to cry in the back of a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

toughbutfair

They don't get around the inconvenience, they pass security and go through the exact same procedure you do. As I said in my previous post, if you could skip security terrorists would do so. Your o.p has no basis.

IDBI0

They don't get around the inconvenience, they pass security and go through the exact same procedure you do. As I said in my previous post, if you could skip security terrorists would do so. Your o.p has no basis.
They don't go through the exact same procedure as they don't have to queue. Again, this is not a service, it is a necessary procedure imposed on everyone. As such it should be imposed equally on everyone, bar the infirm.

IDBI0

If you don't understand that part of the attraction of money is it's ability to make inconveniences go away then you don't understand money!

Money may not make us happy, but it is nicer to cry in the back of a Mercedes than on a bicycle.
And if you don't understand that there are certain restrictions that are placed on all members of society and that these should be placed equally, then you don't understand society.

silverharp

They don't go through the exact same procedure as they don't have to queue. Again, this is not a service, it is a necessary procedure imposed on everyone. As such it should be imposed equally on everyone, bar the infirm.
The queue is infrastructure, if you want you can be picked up from the plane with a airport limo, you just need to pony up the cash

Pabilito

You are talking nonsense.
Not at all.. boarding is mandated by the laws of physics in order to get on the plane.. Priority boarding and fast track security are not mandatory, they are optional services.
You're deliberately conflating the mandatory security requirement with the optional Fast Track service.

They don't go through the exact same procedure as they don't have to queue.
It is precisely the same security check and there is also a queue, albeit a generally faster queue.:

“Fast Track minimises any waiting time and gets you through Security in less than 10 minutes.”

https://www.dublinairport.com/at-the-airport/travel-services/fast-track?=AW-DATS-FT&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9KvU_vqG4wIV1_hRCh3tkAeUEAAYASAAEgI-c_D_BwE

IDBI0

Not at all.. boarding is mandated by the laws of physics in order to get on the plane.. Priority boarding and fast track security are not mandatory, they are optional services.
You're deliberately conflating the mandatory security requirement with the optional Fast Track service.

It is precisely the same security check and there is also a queue, albeit a generally faster queue.:

“Fast Track minimises any waiting time and gets you through Security in less than 10 minutes.”

https://www.dublinairport.com/at-the-airport/travel-services/fast-track?=AW-DATS-FT&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9KvU_vqG4wIV1_hRCh3tkAeUEAAYASAAEgI-c_D_BwE
I think you're living up to your avatar here ;-)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies