• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Faster Higher Stronger, The thread for the 31st Olympiad in Rio

automaticforthepeople

Well the big day is here. As Mary Wilson said on Drivetime, “Tonight’s the night we’ve all been waiting for. The Olympics open in the Macarena”.

[video=youtube;Z1Df-YjO8W8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1Df-YjO8W8[/video]

So it’s time to sit down and get ready for all those sports that the Olympian Gods considered great and good; Beach volleyball, Synchronised swimming, golf and ping pong. Doubtless in the next fortnight we’ll experience the highs and lows of Irish competitors and the realities of being an elite athlete.

So put away the cynicism at least for a fortnight, get out the green jersey, Team Ireland isn’t just a team from the south of Ireland, it represents all sports bodies on the island which apart from association football are all organised on an all island basis.

There’s those who’ve come to this country and declared themselves as sons and daughters of the old sod and there’s those whose parents left and now are wearing the green proudly.
Anna Lise Murphy has waited 4 years for this, Rob Heffernan thought he had to wait also. There’s the boxers all 7 of them, Gymnasts, showjumper, runners, badminton team and our hockey team. Divers, swimmers rowers, canoers and sailors. We’ve a world wide reputation for water sports.

Best of luck to all in Team Ireland So who will perform? Who’ll achieve and who’ll underperform? Here it is the thread for all things Rio!

Accidental sock

Surely it's higher, higher,higher.

Analyzer

Dopier ?

I presume our horses will be keeping their snouts out of the coffee jar this time...

Best of luck to all the competitors. Taking part fairly is better than winning by cheating.

The gymnastics might be drug free. The rest I would be so sure about.

I will not be watching it. Keeping up my boycott of PRAVDA. There will highlights on the internet later if anything interesting happens.

Seanie Lemass

I'll watch the running, and some of the boxing. No interest whatsoever in any of the rest of it.

ruserious

Can't wait for the sailing. They have new cadaver obstacles this year.

devoutcapitalist

Whatever about our own athletes many of the medalists in sports like swimming, cycling and athletics will be quite high as a result of taking certain types of drugs.

I'll probably watch the swimming, boxing and some of the athletics.

Analyzer

Polly Ticks

When snooker is made an Olympic event I might take the whole thing seriously. Until then, the Olympics will remain a sad empty shell of sporting maybes and athletic what-might-have-beens.

devoutcapitalist

When snooker is made an Olympic event I might take the whole thing seriously. Until then, the Olympics will remain a sad empty shell of sporting maybes and athletic what-might-have-beens.
Making snooker an olympic sport would be just as bad as the decision to allow golf into the golf.

I strongly believe footbal should not be an Olympic sport.

ShoutingIsLeadership

I presume that this thread will be banished to "sport", just like the Euro 2016 thread.

Or perhaps it would be better in a science forum?

Polly Ticks

Making snooker an olympic sport would be just as bad as the decision to allow golf into the golf.

I'm going for a personal best this year.. all going well, this will be my 3rd Olympics not watching a single event.

Polly Ticks

I presume that this thread will be banished to "sport", just like the Euro 2016 thread.

Or perhaps it would be better in a science forum?
Is there a 'crime' forum? Those athletes have more banned substances than Snoop Doggy Dog's tourbus.

automaticforthepeople

I've no problem with amateur association football, I wonder what tennis or golf is doing there. As for synchronised swimming and that bit of gymnastics where you wobble a ball or a ribbon in the air, I find it hard to get what the point is in these sports. I won't be watching the Greco Roman wrestling.
Who remembers the Olympics when Ronan Collins was sent to commentate on the weightlifting? His commentary on the clean lift and jerk final was classic. Collins described the wining lift "What a clean, what lift and what a jerk".

I wasn't able to tune in to Collins' late hours piece on the snatch, but I'd imagine he wasn't asked back by the sports department to another Olympiad.

de valera's' giddy goat

The women's hockey game between Netherlands and Germany may have been penciled in by me as one to watch next saturday :D

wombat

I'll watch the running, and some of the boxing. No interest whatsoever in any of the rest of it.
Probably similar though in the opposite order. I usually prefer the distance running to the sprints but Bolt is exceptional, other than that, the male boxing. I'll watch Katie Taylor but I have a fundamental objection to female boxing - they have too many parts to damage by body punching.

de valera's' giddy goat

Here's a hypothetical question, if the Ireland mens hockey team were to win gold will they play the Irish anthem, surely they can't play the normal or abnormal as some would have it Ireland's call..as is done normally at their games

devoutcapitalist

I'm going for a personal best this year.. all going well, this will be my 3rd Olympics not watching a single event.
In my younger naive days I used to watch plenty of sports, for 2008 and 2012 I severely cut down on the amount of time I spent watching events.

wombat

Here's a hypothetical question, if the Ireland mens hockey team were to win gold will they play the Irish anthem, surely they can't play the normal or abnormal as some would have it Ireland's call..as is done normally at their games
I doubt the Brazilians have a disc of Ireland's call - which is a compliment to their musical taste.

wombat

In my younger naive days I used to watch plenty of sports, for 2008 and 2012 I severely cut down on the amount of time I spent watching events.
Sometime in the 80's, I tried to watch the heats of the 5000m in Canada, unfortunately, 2 Canadians were on their way to gold in synchronised swimming so it wasn't covered. I lost interest in the Olympics thereafter. Who wants to watch a bunch of skinny n1ggers anyway?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies