Fat but Fit is a Myth

General Urko

Given our supposed obesity epidemic here (I don't see any more signs of it in Ireland than I do elsewhere) and increasing levels of gym addiction, I think this is an interesting one.

The latest research out seems to debunk the myth that you can be fat and healthy even if your bloods are currently within parameters, damage is being done to your heart by carrying excess weight!

The research comes from an extensive study done by Imperial College and Cambridge University

'Fat but fit' are at increased risk of heart disease

Researchers have found that being overweight or obese increases a person’s risk of coronary heart disease (CHD) by up to 28 per cent compared to those with a healthy bodyweight, even if they have healthy blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol levels.

Trainwreck

Given our supposed obesity epidemic here (I don't see any more signs of it in Ireland than I do elsewhere) and increasing levels of gym addiction, I think this is an interesting one.

The latest research out seems to debunk the myth that you can be fat and healthy even if your bloods are currently within parameters, damage is being done to your heart by carrying excess weight!

The research comes from an extensive study done by Imperial College and Cambridge University

Researchers have found that being overweight or obese increases a person’s risk of coronary heart disease (CHD) by up to 28 per cent compared to those with a healthy bodyweight, even if they have healthy blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol levels.
Uh-oh.

You FATIST BIGOT!!!!!!!!

General Urko

I'm still totally very much opposed to nanny statism e.g. fat taxes and minimum unit pricing for alcohol!

paulp

Given our supposed obesity epidemic here (I don't see any more signs of it in Ireland than I do elsewhere)

I do believe that we don't think we're fat because our size is our norm, we don't notice it because it's there all the time.

PBP voter

I'm still totally very much opposed to nanny statism e.g. fat taxes and minimum unit pricing for alcohol!
Don't complain about high taxes then.

Everybody has a duty to live a healthy lifestyle and be as little of a burden as possible on the health service.

Fat people, smokers and drunks are taken up valuable resources that unlucky people need.

Morgellons

If you carry a suitcase weighing 20 kilos around the airport for a while you'll appreciate just how heavy 20 kilos are. I'd like to lose 10-20 kilos, it makes sense that extra weight is bad and unhealthy.

General Urko

even when it works?
It doesn't!
Well the minmum pricing per unit of alcohol will work in so far as it will help the publican labby who will also take advantage by upping their prices to maintain a gap with the offies!
The primary thing both of those nanny state acts, I have mentioned, will achieve is diverting family resources away from essentials towards pandering further to the family addict's poision of choice! So impoverished familes are further hit!:mad:

General Urko

Don't complain about high taxes then.

Everybody has a duty to live a healthy lifestyle and be as little of a burden as possible on the health service.

Fat people, smokers and drunks are taken up valuable resources that unlucky people need.
And imposing higher taxes on the families of those clowns, crucifies those families further as resources will still be spent and at a higher level on the addiction! That's bleeding obvios!

ger12

The more fat you carry the more hormones swirl about encouraging e.g. cancer cells to grow.

The more you exercise the more you regulate/lower these hormones.

Fat is not good. Inactivity is really not good.

GDPR

[video=youtube;CaPHRJaJ7Lc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaPHRJaJ7Lc[/video]

General Urko

The more fat you carry the more hormones swirl about encouraging e.g. cancer cells to grow.

The more you exercise the more you regulate/lower these hormones.

Fat is not good. Inactivity is really not good.
Indeed, the study related to heart disease!

GJG

Website
blog.hereshow.ie
If you carry a suitcase weighing 20 kilos around the airport for a while you'll appreciate just how heavy 20 kilos are. I'd like to lose 10-20 kilos, it makes sense that extra weight is bad and unhealthy.
That type of common sense is what gives us bad science (Injecting a disease into you? How can that be good?), but what is important is that there is proper, peer-reviewed science that happens to coincide with your common sense. However, where science and common sense collide, I side with science.

ger12

Indeed, the study related to heart disease!
It's much wider than heart disease.

A third of deaths in Ireland are related to heart disease. Another third to cancer. Lifestyle is a factor for many of these deaths.

You'll find in the coming years that a much bigger emphasis will be placed on getting us to lose that fat and get off our arses.

Happycamping

I work in the fitness area and can't believe what some people consider to be a healthy weight. People in this country need a wake up call. Not only to prolong their lives but so they can actually enjoy their lives as well.

General Urko

I work in the fitness area and can't believe what some people consider to be a healthy weight. People in this country need a wake up call. Not only to prolong their lives but so they can actually enjoy their lives as well.
And IMHO that is down to education!

razorblade

Unless you're muscular its really not healthy to be carrying around a bit of weight,unfortunately there seems to be too much sensitivity and political correctness around the issue, so pointing out to someone that they may need to lose a few pounds, doesnt tend to go down well.

General Urko

Unless you're muscular its really not healthy to be carrying around a bit of weight,unfortunately there seems to be too much sensitivity and political correctness around the issue, so pointing out to someone that they may need to lose a few pounds, doesnt tend to go down well.
Well it's much easier than telling somebosy they have BO or their breath stinks!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies