• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Father who won miscarriage of justice case murders returned child.

rainmaker

Administrator
A family who won a high profile case to win their daughter back from Social Services have been sentenced for her murder less than a year later. Ben Butler has been sentenced to life, and the childs mother to 42 months.

The appeal judge said at the time said it was 'a joy' to be able to reunite the family. She even ordered that social services & the police were to have no contact with Ellie Butler, aged 6, again.

Even when the school had serious concerns for her well being they found that thanks to the court order they were unable to involve social services or police. This child was failed not by social workers or police but by a judge.

I have had many an engagement on here with those who vilify social services for the removal children. But this is what can happen when a judge believes the best place for a child is with a parent, against all evidence.

I hope Ellie rests in peace now - but this case raises serious questions about the power of courts in child protection cases.

The appeal judge Mrs Justice Hogg, had sided with the family when Butler had appealed her removal for shaking the child, despite objections from police & social services, said handing the couple back their child 'had been a joy', and passed an order effectively banning social services from any contact with the child whatsoever.

Mrs Justice Hogg ordered that every public body that held files on Ellie should prominently mark them with the statement that Ben Butler "has been exonerated by the High Court of all allegations of the physical abuse of Ellie Butler".

The court orders also gave permission for Butler to serve parts of Justice Hogg's judgment on any school, doctor, social worker, health worker or police officer that came into contact with the family.
Ben Butler: The exonerated father who went on to kill - BBC News

Scheming father played the victim on TV claiming there had been a miscarriage of justice as he launched a campaign to win back his daughter
How Ben Butler went on TV in publicity campaign to win back daughter he killed | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:

Truth.ie

THIS case raises questions???
How so?
Havent there been countless other cases of Mothers getting custody and their kids ending up dead.

SeanieFitz

awful case. the grandparents warned the judge that returned the child to her parents

dammit_im_mad

THIS case raises questions???
How so?
Havent there been countless other cases of Mothers getting custody and their kids ending up dead.
Mad fathers, mad mothers......dead or miserable tortured or mentally scarred children.

Isn't it time we did the rational thing and brought in a parenting license which includes
a written test and a psych test to weed out psycopaths, sociopaths and narcissists.

Why not, you need a license to drive a car. Is parenting so much less important than driving?

Astral Peaks

A family who won a high profile case to win their daughter back from Social Services have been sentenced for her murder less than a year later. Ben Butler has been sentenced to life, and the childs mother to 42 months.

The appeal judge said at the time said it was 'a joy' to be able to reunite the family. She even ordered that social services & the police were to have no contact with Ellie Butler, aged 6, again.

Even when the school had serious concerns for her well being they found that thanks to the court order they were unable to involve social services or police. This child was failed not by social workers or police but by a judge.

I have had many an engagement on here with those who vilify social services for the removal children. But this is what can happen when a judge believes the best place for a child is with a parent, against all evidence.

I hope Ellie rests in peace now - but this case raises serious questions about the power of courts in child protection cases.

Scheming father played the victim on TV claiming there had been a miscarriage of justice as he launched a campaign to win back his daughter
How Ben Butler went on TV in publicity campaign to win back daughter he killed | Daily Mail Online
Mrs Justice Hughes surely has questions to answer?
I note she retired on the start of the trial.

willow68

Followed your link. That poor child. Am having a little cry.
I hope that evil man will be put in general population. As for the so called mother dont even get me started. Heartbreaking.

Truth.ie

Mad fathers, mad mothers......dead or miserable tortured or mentally scarred children.

Isn't it time we did the rational thing and brought in a parenting license which includes
a written test and a psych test to weed out psycopaths, sociopaths and narcissists.

Why not, you need a license to drive a car. Is parenting so much less important than driving?
Quite a lot of people out there should be neutered.

sadmal

Mrs Justice Hughes surely has questions to answer?
I note she retired on the start of the trial.
She should be held to account but judges are never made to answer for their decisions. It would be nice to know that this case and her decision will haunt her for the rest of her days, but i doubt she'll even give it a second thought.

GDPR

This is one of those incredibly complex cases which in retrospect looks oh so simple. You can find a detailed analysis of Justice Hoggs ruling over-turning the 2007 conviction here

https://suesspiciousminds.com/2012/10/12/a-tapestry-of-justice/

To summarise, what seems to have happened is this:

(1) The medical evidence regarding the probable cause of the childs injuries was inconclusive. She was born with various syndromes which could have resulted in her presenting with the same injuries for an innocent reason. None of the expert medical witnesses were prepared to stick their necks out and say she was definitely conclusively a victim of shaken baby/child syndrome.

(2) The parents lied their heads off -- as we now know - to provide what appeared to be a convincing explanation for how the child was injured. There was no other evidence to contradict this. Butler seems to have been a very cunning sociopath who presented himself in court in a a very different light from his actual behaviour. He even fooled Max Clifford much less Dame Hogg.

You can see the Judges reasoning in the link presented - and far from the usual image of secretive family courts being eager to take children into the care of the state, it seems to me she was motivated by a commitment to keeping the family together.

As ever, not quite so cut and dried as the media likes it to be.

EUrJokingMeRight

The most pressing licensing issue facing the world is the public representative licence. Any twat can get voted in but all that means is that lots of people like twats.

A 'fitness to govern' licence should be required before being allowed to run for office.

Watcher2

Very, very sad.

How many children die in the "care" of social services?

EUrJokingMeRight

How could a woman put this girl at risk and then ban social workers/police?

Insane.

artfoley56

While it's easy to fire the blame in this case at the judge, the media must also take some of the blame because they frequently, especially the mail, go off half cocked with only half the story. the in camera rule especially the UK version has helped these half stories to get out and for parents to scream secret conspiracy. and again under the in camera rule we only have half the story of this case. we dont know what evidence was heard or how cafcass failed to make their case so spectacularly or why they didnt JR the decisions

But that is in no way to excuse in any shape or form the horrific parents for whom hanging is too good

artfoley56

Last edited:

sadmal

Very, very sad.

How many children die in the "care" of social services?
How many of them are actually murdered in the care of social services? That's the difference, in this case she was in the care of her grandparents until Judge Hogg send her back to her killers.

GDPR

NO; that would just lead to busy body PC muppets deciding who can have kids or not.

GDPR

How many of them are actually murdered in the care of social services? That's the difference, in this case she was in the care of her grandparents until Judge Hogg send her back to her killers.
My name is Sadmal and I didnt read the link to Hoggs judgement ... :)

General Urko

It would of course never happen here!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies