Father's Day cards banned in Scottish schools

Electro

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... hools.html

The politically correct policy was quietly adopted at schools "in the interests of sensitivity" over the growing number of lone-parent and same-sex households.

It only emerged after a large number of fathers failed to receive their traditional cards and handmade gifts...

The Father's Day card ban has been introduced by schools in Glasgow, Edinburgh, East Renfrewshire, Dumfries and Galloway and Clackmannshire.

Tina Woolnough, 45, whose son Felix attends Edinburgh's Blackhall primary school, said several teachers there had not allowed children to make Father's Day cards this year...

The Father's Day edict follows a series of other politically correct measures introduced in primary schools, including the removal of Christian references from festive greetings cards.

Matt O'Connor, founder of campaign group Fathers For Justice, said: "I'm astonished at this. It totally undermines the role and significance of fathers whether they are still with the child's mother or not.

"It also sends out a troubling message to young boys that fathers aren't important."
I wonder will the Scots ban Mother's Day cards on the same basis, that it might offend a subset of the school population (e.g. those raised by a father only, or fostered children)? The feminist educationalists and Labour councillors once again frame it as being pro-"equality", when really it is anti-father and anti-male.

coc

Father's day is a ridiculous invention anyway.

factual

It does make the fatherless children feel excluded so there is a compassionate motivation to it.

Just as Valentines day cards can make the loveless feel excluded...(so I am told).

coc

Eddie Collins said:
coc said:
Father's day is a ridiculous invention anyway.
As is mother's day - but I bet they don't ban cards on that day.
More's the pity.

Eddie Collins

I 'd have thought that the "butch" partner in a lesbian relationship could wear a kilt on father's day and the kid wouldn't know the difference. Problem solved.

factual

Eddie Collins said:
I 'd have thought that the "butch" partner in a lesbian relationship could wear a kilt on father's day and the kid wouldn't know the difference. Problem solved.
:roll:

Universal_001

Eddie Collins said:
[quote="Universal_001":mus9pj04]What about parents day? :D
Nah - that could upset orphans.[/quote:mus9pj04]

Oh the PC game, I love it :D

"Parents, Guardians and group home managers day"?

atlantic

The next thing they will ban is christmas day .
The Pc bridage will cause and create havoc in Europe in the next few years.

Centurian

atlantic said:
They will - But only if we allow them to - It's time for the large silent majority to speak out now before these fanatical PC zealots destroy our way of life. :evil:

Universal_001

atlantic said:
The next thing they will ban is christmas day .
Ahh in the US they have the opposite to the PC brigade, but oddly, they are exactly like them, they are the "dying to take offense brigade", and they've invented a "war on Christmas" to complain about (the WAR consisting of the words "happy holidays")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzIoS9_0aA4

BEWARE THE SECULAR PROGRESSIVES UNDER YOUR BED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Centurian said:
atlantic said:
They will - But only if we allow them to - It's time for the large silent majority to speak out now before these fanatical PC zealots destroy our way of life. :evil:
Fanatical pc zealots destroying our way of life? :D

Does your way of life involve using the most offensive terms to refer to those who aren't the same as you?

If this story is true then it shows excessive caution about the feelings of some individuals, and should be ridiculed as such, but there's no point getting hysterical about the Euro PC Brigade kicking our doors in and gaffer-taping our mouths shut.

I'm sure if someone made your kids feel like sh*t you wouldn't be too pleased about it...

Cookie68 said:
factual said:
It does make the fatherless children feel excluded so there is a compassionate motivation to it.
That's a good point Factual and a fair enough motivation behind it.

However, children aren't actually 'fatherless' as such. Their mothers may no longer be in touch with the father but there is usually a known father (unless the mother went and got an anonymous sperm donation either artificially or naturally ;) ).

Perhaps this Fathers' Day tradition should be defended, even if it is upsetting for some, as it could:

1) encourage the mother to allow some sort of relationship betwen the child and the father (if appropriate) and

2) teach the children that, even if they don't know their own father, that when they go on to have children that they should be an integral part of those childrens' lives.
Well put.

eoinod

Personally I think that this is disgraceful.
The happiness of many should not be sacrificed for few.
Just because some people conform does not mean that they should be punished.

Universal_001

Marty J said:
Shouldn't they be doing, you know, schoolwork and stuff instead anyway?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Finally someone states the obvious.

Probably a good idea for the mammys to be making the cards with them not school

Pidge

Two things.

Firstly, this is a classic "PC GONE MAD" Telegraph/Mail-esque story. It's probably untrue, exagerrated or taken out of context (as these things often are). Often with these stories, the "ban" is a term used to describe not doing something. So, for example, if there was a majority of a class who didn't have fathers present who they could make cards for, it'd make sense that the teacher not take a part out of the day so a minority of the class can make cards. That'd translate into a "ban" in Daily Mail-land, but it'd be perfectly reasonable otherwise.

Secondly, even if that wasn't the case, I'd be quite happy with this. Not only is making cards in school for fathers' day an irrelevant part of school life, and fairly pointless, it's pretty nasty for kids who don't have the privelege of having two parents. I don't mean to make this in anyway emotional, but it's an important topic. When I was two, my father died. I always understood and understand that, by necessity, school and broader social life will have to, at some point, involve a specific parent. There'll be parent teacher days (when only one parent turns up), go to work with Daddy days, father-son races in sports day etc. I always understood that different people have different needs, and not every event can cater for them. Even with that understanding, there's something horrible about being left out of an activity, especially when you're of a primary school age. It sets out early on that you're different, and that you're at a disadvantage. Without meaning to be melodramatic, I remember the day at a summer camp, where every single person made cards for fathers' day, and I did colouring. I think that I've generally dealt fairly well with not having a father, but that event sticks with me, even though I have very few other memories from that time. (Incidentally, somehow I doubt anyone who made those cards remembers now.) Anyway, there are lots of little things like that, which can make it a little harder.

These things are part of growing up. Most systems are, understandably, built around the idea of a nuclear family, with a mum, dad and two kids. As that nuclear family system changes (with divorce, separation, death, same-sex couples, unmarried parents or absentee parents), society should adapt to those changes. Considering that children are most affected by family changes, and have the strongest desire to conform or fit in, it strikes me as being only compassionate to minimise the hurt caused to children in classrooms. Outside of school, there is plenty of marketing power aimed at fathers' and mothers' day. That'll be hurtful for some, but it's generally accepted as a necessary evil. In classrooms, I don't see the need, and all I see is pain and harm.

Without knowing the exact circumstances of this case, I'd wager that it has a lot less to do with grown up, abstract issues of feminism, fathers' rights or gender issues. I'd say that it's more to do with showing some basic decency to children who - for whatever reason - are able to participate in fathers' day.

atlantic

They did its called bullying.teachers did nothing,parents did nothing ,until I told the young gurriers shoe,hole ,sore.
Mister Fogpatches said:
Centurian said:
atlantic said:
Fanatical pc zealots destroying our way of life? :D

Does your way of life involve using the most offensive terms to refer to those who aren't the same as you?

If this story is true then it shows excessive caution about the feelings of some individuals, and should be ridiculed as such, but there's no point getting hysterical about the Euro PC Brigade kicking our doors in and gaffer-taping our mouths shut.

I'm sure if someone made your kids feel like sh*t you wouldn't be too pleased about it...

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies