• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Favourite Comics/Graphic Novels

S

Starkadder

Inspired by Slartibuckfast's thread on favourite TV shows, and the upcoming film of
Marjane Satrapi's graphic novel autobiography "Persepolis",

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0808417/

I'd like to ask
if P.ie posters have any favourite comic strips, comic books and graphic novels,
preferably with a political aspect.

As a child, I loved the Tintin and Asterix strips, and the Flash Gordon strips
in Ireland's Own. Later I used read the Victor, with its stalwart WWII patriotism.

I also discovered DC Thompson's "Commando" and Fleetway's "Battle", which
had a harder and more cynical take on the war comic (Battle was home to
Pat Mills' and Joe Colquhoun's superb "Charlie's War", a graphic and powerfully written
WWI strip, described by Alan Moore as the best war comic ever).

I also used to occasionally read a super-hero title (Superman, Spiderman,
Batman, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles). Oddly, I never really got into "2000AD"-I
didn't realize Judge Dredd was meant to a be a parody of a
fascistic policeman. I went through a big Alan Moore phase,reading
"Watchmen" (Superheroes/Nixon/threat of nuclear war) "V for Vendetta"
(Costumed Anarchist in a Fascist Britain) and "A Small Killing" (Artist sells
out to corporatism).

With regard to newspaper strips, I enjoy reading Doonesbury, Tom Mathews' "Artoon" in the IT,
as well as Steve Bell's "If" and the "Perry Bible Fellowship".The
Daily Telegraph's "Matt" and the Times "Nature Notes" are occaisonally
spot-on too.

ibis

Watchmen, and V.

kaleidoscope

Or about Obelix and Asterix books, they're classics.
The puns in the names such as Unhygenix, Fulliautomatix, Getafix, Obelix, Vitalstatistix, Geriatrix, Bacteria, Impedimenta, and Influenza, are just one example of their brilliance!

CookieMonster

Bunty.

S

Starkadder

kaleidoscope said:
Or about Obelix and Asterix books, they're classics.
The puns in the names such as Unhygenix, Fulliautomatix, Getafix, Obelix, Vitalstatistix, Geriatrix, Bacteria, Impedimenta, and Influenza, are just one example of their brilliance!
Yes, very clever use of puns. Much of the reason for Asterix's popularity in the English=speaking
world is down to the high quality of Anthea Bell's translations. She has an essay about the
plucky little Gaul here;

http://www.asterix-international.de/ast ... y_love.htm

More politics: In the 1950s, characters like Asterix and Dan Dare were created by
Europeans worried that American comic books would threaten their culture and
morality.Dan Dare's Eagle comic, for instance, was envisioned as a wholesome
alternative to the horror comics Wertham was worried about.*

*I'm sure I read a story that Archbishop McQuaid disliked the "Eagle" comic
and tried to have it banned. Anyone know if this is true?

I think I have only ever read one graphic novel, I am really not into comics or graphic novels but this one was on the book shelf and I have to say, twas a brilliant read, it was called Maus, it was the story of a Jewish man who records his fathers memories of the Holocaust and his life during that time. The difference in this is that the Jews are mice, Germans are cats and Americans are dogs.

S

Starkadder

It should be pointed out that the idea that comics/graphic novels are only for children
seems to be mainly a concept in the English-speaking world. There's quite a strong
market for comics aimed at adults in France,Italy and Japan. Some of these would
be quite intellectually sophisticated: e.g. the work of the French artist Moebius (Jean Giraud) who
created works like "The Incal" and "Blueberry".

kaleidoscope

As the film Spirited Away showed, there is also a huge culture in Japan of animated movies that are not aimed only at child audiences.

kaleidoscope said:
As the film Spirited Away showed, there is also a huge culture in Japan of animated movies that are not aimed only at child audiences.
Studio ghibli films are amazing!! Makes Disney look like crap! But I do have to say, I really hate most of the manga I have seen, just dreadful rubbish, only good things are the art!

But Ghibli films are perfet! :)

jjacollins

As a youngster I loved the read the Eagle comic.

with Dan Dare, Storm force and Johnny Red.

Loved Commando and Battle too.

Loved the likes of Buster and Whizzer and chips not forgetting The Dandy and Beano.

I love anime movies like Ghost in the Shell and Ninja Scroll.