• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Favourite shoes and boots

Calculusmadeeasy

I recently procured a pair of these:

5.11 RECON Urban Boot - Low Profile, Lightweight Boot

At 159 yo yos, they're expensive, but having previously purchased 5.11's "skyweight" boot (Skyweight Waterproof Side Zip Boot - Footwear), I was suitably impressed with their comfort and durability to invest in a pair of 5.11's recons.*

I also have a pair of German Paratrooper boots. These were in fact cheaper, costing around 40£ sterling. Here's a review. I love wearing these for long mountain walks. For a heavy duty boot, they're incredibly comfortable (once they've been broken in).

[video=youtube;l-z988LOzJQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-z988LOzJQ[/video]

As for shoes, I own a humble pair of clarks which I wear for formal occasions. Since I hate formality, I don't wear them that often. Consequently they look as good as when I bought them 10 years ago. I can't recall what they cost, but I think they were about mid range.

What are your favourite shoes and boots and why? Also, what type of shoe polish do you use, and why?

*I bought the skyweights 2.5 years ago. Aside from some minor wear to the heel, they are in excellent condition. Admittedly, I only wear them to work, and when I'm pottering about at the weekends, so I haven't stress tested them with long walks across mountains and through rivers. Still though, regarding comfort and durability, they've done the job I bought them for. Money well spent. :)

Cato

Berghaus Fellmaster II boots for hillwalking, with SealSkinz waterproof socks within. I've enjoyed dry feet in some horrendous conditions.

former wesleyan

Burgundy loafers from Church and Sebago. Black from Barker. Bought from a really good discount site.

twokidsmanybruises

I usually only own two pairs of shoes at any one time.

- Military boots ( the German para boot is a good one, if you can find a pair )
- A pair of Converse ( comfy and the shoe sizes never change, irrespective of what country I'm in )

truthisfree

Loakes for formal wear, Hi-tec boots for walking, then a variety of casual from Dubarry to Hilfiger.....have given up on Riker as rubbish as most sub €100 footwear is a complete waste of money. I do have a pair of Cat boots that are well into their second decade though won't replace them as too heavy but a damm good boot.

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
Rainbows for most of the year.
Merrells for boots and work.
A couple of different pairs of formal shoes.

Irish-Rationalist

Boots are for poofs. I walk 6 miles barefoot over broken glass every day. Okay, my feet are ripped to shreds, but at least I'm a real man.

Calculusmadeeasy

Your poor feet.

RodShaft

What exactly do you gain from wearing those stupid things?
They look sexy.

I'm sure she wears them for herself, and not for what random men on the internet think of them, but they are definitely sexy...

truthisfree

George Webb did close down as you say. Their shoes, all leather, were and are very very durable. I've still got three pairs of their shoes!
Very good, that is some testimony to their durability. There does not seem to be any shoemakers here anymore apart from Dubarry and I am not at all sure they make their shoes here anymore instead sourcing from elsewhere.

I used to wear decent shoes when younger but got into useless fall apart "fashion" items....have copped on now and only buy what I believe will last....Loakes are the best available to me where I am and so far have yet to wear a pair out.....heels and soles yes :D Way cheaper footwear and way more comfortable....and I am a walker :)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies