• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

FDR's legacy

20000miles

Website
www.irishliberty.wordpress.com
As there's one on Ronald Reagan, there should be one on Roosevelt too. So when you hear the name what do you think?

My thoughts:

Imagine you are living in a country where the government has passed a law that says no private citizen can own gold. People have all their gold confiscated, and those who don't face 10 years in prison.

Also, imagine you are a shopkeeper. You are only allowed to operate if you have a government sticker of a blue eagle in your shop window. An old lady enters your store and tells you that she cannot afford to pay the government price for bread because her husband is unemployed. You sell her the bread at a lower price. However the old lady is a secret snitch for the government. She informs the authorities and your shop is closed down.

Also, your government is buying up loads of food and destroying it. Over 5,000,000 pigs are slaughtered. Piles of potatoes are burned in giant bonfires. Vats of milk are poured into the sewers as starving onlookers watch.

You might think that this country resembles a totalitarian regime, however these are the policies that FDR persued in 1930s USA.

youngdan

Have you any idea of how many here are hoping to hear that I was hauled off for owning a few ducats

Big Bobo

Killing livestock, burning crops and pouring fresh milk down drains just to keep prices high while people starved to death is how I will remember the great FDR. That and interning hundreds of thousands of American citizens during WW2 just because they looked Asian.

20000miles

Website
Killing livestock, burning crops and pouring fresh milk down drains just to keep prices high while people starved to death is how I will remember the great FDR. That and interning hundreds of thousands of American citizens during WW2 just because they looked Asian.
Oh yeah, that too.

For once we agree on something Bobo.

Catalpa

And the EU creates butter mountains and wine lakes....?

Our Government gives away almost €900 million of the Irish People's money annually with hardly any accountability....

Sure FDR was no Mr Innocent but the good he did outweighed the bad in the eyes of the American People.

He was elected President in 1932, 1936, 1940 & 1944.

So he must have been doing something right!

PhoenixIreland

Website
www.huffingtonpost.com
Social Security is a pretty big legacy, which Bush tried to dismantle but luckily even a republican congress was not dumb enough to invest peoples retirement in the stock market (good thing too considering).

He did save capitalism from itself when it was about to die though, thats definitily a black mark against him though, had he taken a diffrent path we might be living in a much better world today.

youngdan

Social Security is the biggest rip off ever. Earn 1000 dollars a week and 143 goes to social secutity. Even if a person is 50 they will never get a penny back. A ponzi scheme. The fund contains only treasury bonds and payouts will surpass income soon.

It is a capped tax where income over about 100g is not taxed at all. That is, it is a tax on the poor

PhoenixIreland

Website
www.huffingtonpost.com
Social Security is the biggest rip off ever. Earn 1000 dollars a week and 143 goes to social secutity. Even if a person is 50 they will never get a penny back. A ponzi scheme. The fund contains only treasury bonds and payouts will surpass income soon.

It is a capped tax where income over about 100g is not taxed at all. That is, it is a tax on the poor
As the seniors if they think it's a good programe.

youngdan

They think it is great indeed. They paid little in and are now getting a lot out. Not enough to live on though. I am just dealing with the facts here. As in every ponzi scheme it is unsustainable. Nobody is denying that it is unsustainable so as soon as the election is over they will either raise the age where you become eligible or increase the upper cap on income subject to the tax. In round figures a person on 100g pays 7 grand or 7% (matched by employer) A person earning 6000000 like Obama or Mrs McCain pays 7 grand or 0.13%.

Only the poor gets taxed and the dumb donkeys vote democrat every time

PhoenixIreland

Website
www.huffingtonpost.com
They think it is great indeed. They paid little in and are now getting a lot out. Not enough to live on though. I am just dealing with the facts here. As in every ponzi scheme it is unsustainable. Nobody is denying that it is unsustainable so as soon as the election is over they will either raise the age where you become eligible or increase the upper cap on income subject to the tax. In round figures a person on 100g pays 7 grand or 7% (matched by employer) A person earning 6000000 like Obama or Mrs McCain pays 7 grand or 0.13%.

Only the poor gets taxed and the dumb donkeys vote democrat every time
I guess they should have invested it in the stock market.
Stock market investments always work out

20000miles

Website
Social Security is a pretty big legacy, which Bush tried to dismantle but luckily even a republican congress was not dumb enough to invest peoples retirement in the stock market (good thing too considering).

He did save capitalism from itself when it was about to die though, thats definitily a black mark against him though, had he taken a diffrent path we might be living in a much better world today.
You've rewritten the history of the Great Depression. Capitalism is not inherently unstable like Marx or Keynes would lead you to beleive. But lax monetary policy can make it so. The Fed has caused every economic crisis in US history yet is has not been abolished.

Roosevelt turned what could have been a sharp downturn and turned it into over a decade of hell.

junketman

He contributed to the downfall of Nazism and an expansionist Japanese Empire which had killed millions in China.

He made the US into a Superpower and probably saved America and the world from Communism in the long run.

He gave over one hundred million Americans hope and a better standard of living and rescued a country from disaster. He would be in my top 3 presidents of the US.

Big Bobo

He contributed to the downfall of Nazism and an expansionist Japanese Empire which had killed millions in China.

He made the US into a Superpower and probably saved America and the world from Communism in the long run.

He gave over one hundred million Americans hope and a better standard of living and rescued a country from disaster. He would be in my top 3 presidents of the US.
It was the Soviet Union who defeated nazi Germany, don't forget that. They are the ones who did 90% of the fighting and the dying. The war was decided on the eastern front. The Soviet Union would have triumphed regardless of the US or Britain.

Saved America and the world from Communism? Please tell me your joking? And hope doesn't feed people. His economic policies were disaterous. In fact in his years 1932-34 things got far worse for people.

junketman

It was the Soviet Union who defeated nazi Germany, don't forget that. They are the ones who did 90% of the fighting and the dying. The war was decided on the eastern front. The Soviet Union would have triumphed regardless of the US or Britain.

Saved America and the world from Communism? Please tell me your joking? And hope doesn't feed people. His economic policies were disaterous. In fact in his years 1932-34 things got far worse for people.
I said he contributed, I didn't say he did it on his own...one example of US contribution to the Soviet effort was lend-lease and the selling of tens of thousands of trucks, motor vehicles, tanks and guns to the Soviets at crucial times in the war which undoubtedly kept them in the conflict, you cannot simply ignore that help. Without that help it's probable the Soviets would not have survived the early years.

Another way was to launch the important second front in France as well as a third front in Italy and also defeating the Nazis in Africa.

Yes, in the longer term he contributed to this, because a strong America stopped communism taking hold in the States and in the end it was the Cold War and costly build up or arms that put the Soviets out of business and bankrupted the state. So it was a superpower USA which prevented the spread of communism in Korea and contained it elsewhere leading to its eventual collapse.

PhoenixIreland

Website
www.huffingtonpost.com
They could have given it back to the people they stole it from...
The reason it was created is because the private investment account that makes everyone a millionare paradise was not happening.
People were starving to death.

sandar

He aped Hitler buy refusing to shake hands with Jesse Owens whemn the latter returned from the Berlin olympics. FDR got lucky, the second worl d war created organic demand in the economy at just the right time, same thing happened in germany for a bit(and indeed Ireland even though we were not combatents.

wombat

The Soviet Union would have triumphed regardless of the US or Britain.
Ever hear of the Alaska highway or the convoys to Murmansk?