Fearing suicide bomb, soldier shoots terrorist; now faces prison

O

Oscurito

I salute the Israeli military for holding their personnel to a standard which is probably higher than that of any other defence or armed force in the world. And should any one doubt that, look at the shoot to kill policies of US police or the zero conviction rate for those who gunned down unarmed civilians in Derry in 1972.

Nevertheless, it does raise concerns. What is a soldier to do when faced with a terrorist who has already attacked others and may be wearing a suicide vest? A military investigation did subsequently determine that at the time the terrorist was shot, the team present at the scene were operating under the possibility/concern that he may have had a bomb on his person.

The natural impulse is - like Elior Azariya - to protect the surrounding civilians. But now, doing that, may result in a long prison term - up to 20 years - away from one's friends and family.

Elor Azariya found guilty of manslaughter - Inside Israel - News -

Last edited:

derryman

You didn't read the article did you. Had you you would note that the court who listened to the evidence arrived at a different conclusion to yourself.
How ever I do admire the Israeli Army's approach on this matter.

O

Oscurito

You didn't read the article did you. Had you you would note that the court who listened to the evidence arrived at a different conclusion to yourself.
How ever I do admire the Israeli Army's approach on this matter.
I did read the article. I think the court was unduly harsh and acted with the benefit of hindsight which a soldier in the heat of battle doesn't have.

Levellers

The video tells a different story.

[video=youtube;gB5EWNF71ug]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB5EWNF71ug[/video]

Clanrickard

I salute the Israeli military for holding their personnel to a standard which is probably higher than that of any other defence or armed force in the world. And should any one doubt that, look at the shoot to kill policies of US police or the zero conviction rate for those who gunned down unarmed civilians in Derry in 1972.

Nevertheless, it does raise concerns. What is a soldier to do when faced with a terrorist who has already attacked others and may be wearing a suicide vest? The natural impulse is - like Elior Azariya - to protect the surrounding civilians. But now, doing that, may result in a long prison term - up to 20 years - away from one's friends and family.

Elor Azariya found guilty of manslaughter - Inside Israel - News -
You don't shot an unarmed and badly injured person. He did and he is rightly being punished for it.

former wesleyan

I did read the article. I think the court was unduly harsh and acted with the benefit of hindsight which a soldier in the heat of battle doesn't have.
He wasn't in the heat of battle, he arrived 15 mins later pissed off that his mate had been stabbed. It's high time the Israelis scrapped using army conscripts at checkpoints and put in full time border guards

derryman

The video tells a different story.

[video=youtube;gB5EWNF71ug]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB5EWNF71ug[/video]
Oops.
Now that is kind of hard to argue with. And the OP does little for his credibility by so doing.

corporal punishment

They've obviously moved on from the incident where an officer strolled into a no go area to shoot a 13 year old girl point blank untill he emptied his pistol. She had inadvertantly entered the area on her way home from school. the private who refused to shoot her made a complaint against the officer who was court martialled and found guilty of unlawful discharge of his weapon.

razorblade

If a soldier feels there life is threatened in any way, than of course they should use any means necessary to aleviate the danger.

White Horse

From my reading of the facts of the case, the soldier was correctly convicted. Indeed, he should consider himself fortunate not to be charged with murder.

It is also appropriate to praise the IDF and the Israeli judicial system for applying high standards to the conduct of soldiers, even though they are being targeted by Islamofascist terrorists.

O

Oscurito

You don't shot an unarmed and badly injured person. He did and he is rightly being punished for it.
A military analyst was on Sky News a few minutes ago describing incidents in the past where a terrorist attacked people, seemed to have been incapacitated but then detonated a suicide vest when the Israeli military approached him.

I'm not saying that what he did was right but prison (certainly the long prison sentence of 20 years that's being discussed) is too harsh.

Fullforward

A military analyst was on Sky News a few minutes ago describing incidents in the past where a terrorist attacked people, seemed to have been incapacitated but then detonated a suicide vest when the Israeli military approached him.

I'm not saying that what he did was right but prison (certainly the long prison sentence of 20 years that's being discussed) is too harsh.

Rubbish,the Man on the ground CLEARLY had several Military around him if he needed a target before he was murdered. 20 years in jail is the LEAST he should get.

Look at the Mans hands just before he was murdered.

Cellachán Chaisil

Don't suicide vests have a dead man's switch. In such a scenario isn't is as dangerous to shoot them as to not?

Fullforward

Don't suicide vests have a dead man's switch. In such a scenario isn't is as dangerous to shoot them as to not?
The armed friends of the murderer didn't feel there was any danger as they appear at ease standing over the murdered man. They only time they appear scared is when the nutter fires his gun.

razorblade

Watch the Video.
Intentially shooting unarmed civilions is murder and is certainly a prison sentance, i was referring to the op question if you have reason to believe, that the suspect is in anyway a terrorist or a threat to your life,than you would use any means you would to defend yourself or others around you.

O

Oscurito

Rubbish,the Man on the ground CLEARLY had several Military around him if he needed a target before he was murdered. 20 years in jail is the LEAST he should get.

Look at the Mans hands just before he was murdered.
I think that decent people will be ignoring your moral whinging given that your comment on the murder of Lord Moutbatten and several civilians (including children) was the following:

You speak about the death of the old fart like it was a bad thing.

Cellachán Chaisil

I haven't heard of this.
Apparently, the Brussels attackers had them. It means that as soon as a band around the attacker's fingers no longer detects a pulse, it will trigger.

O

Oscurito

The armed friends of the murderer didn't feel there was any danger as they appear at ease standing over the murdered man. They only time they appear scared is when the nutter fires his gun.
Was the murderer of several people in Mullaghmore in August 1979 "in any danger". You seem to have some doubts as to whether it was a bad thing.

New Threads

Most Replies