• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Federer v Nadal

Happycamping

Don't know if there are many tennis fans on here but that was some game this morning. Two legends of the game back to do battle and a match that lived up to expectations. It will be a long time before we see the likes of Federer again. An absolute genius on the court.

razorblade

Agreed most likely the greatest tennis player in the history of the game, 18 grand slam (singles) title wins speaks for it self.

Last edited:

Happycamping

It was great to see Nadal make such a game of it too. I know there have been some great rivalries down through the years. The likes of Borg/McEnroe etc. But this eclipses them all. It is probably true across sports as well.

former wesleyan

And all done with grace and no screaming and posturing. Role model is a dubious concept, but if ever there was one Federer would fit the bill.

Happycamping

And all done with grace and no screaming and posturing. Role model is a dubious concept, but if ever there was one Federer would fit the bill.
When you look at the likes of Ronaldo and the way he carries on, it shows how little class he has compared to someone like Federer, or Nadal for that matter.

redneck

well done to Mr Federer, 18 slams is good. That said what is Men's tennis like? Allowing a 35 year old to win. I mean surely there must be a new generation coming through.

Happycamping

well done to Mr Federer, 18 slams is good. That said what is Men's tennis like? Allowing a 35 year old to win. I mean surely there must be a new generation coming through.
There is a new generation and they are very very good. Federer is the best there has ever been. He got lucky that the top seeds were knocked out. He may not have won otherwise. That said, you can only beat what is put in front of you. And Nadal(joint second best ever) should not be dismissed too easily.

If you think 18 slams is 'good', what would you consider great?

Last edited:

TedHankey

18 slams is the record for men's tennis, so it has to be more than good surely? Federer, til this morning, hadn't won a slam since 2012 so the next gen has already come thru and Djokovic, Murray and Wawrinka have dominated slams in the last 2 yrs. It is good though to see Nadal and Federer (even at 35) back to their best.

max99

Don't know if there are many tennis fans on here but that was some game this morning. Two legends of the game back to do battle and a match that lived up to expectations. It will be a long time before we see the likes of Federer again. An absolute genius on the court.

He's gifted alright, but he is very dull... Himself and Andy Murrray .. quite the drab pair :roll:

Happycamping

He's gifted alright, but he is very dull... Himself and Andy Murrray .. quite the drab pair :roll:
His tennis is anything but and that is what counts. Most sports stars at the very top of their profession are probably dull. Especially those in individual sports. Bolt would be an exception.

Last edited:

redneck

I think people will look back on the Federer era and see a good player who won against fairly poor opposition. Compare Mr Federer to the Borg/McEnroe era, or against Sampras. Nadal not withstanding Federer won in a less competitive era in my opinion.

statsman

And the Williams sisters contested the women's final. The last hurrah of a golden generation, perhaps.

Happycamping

I think people will look back on the Federer era and see a good player who won against fairly poor opposition. Compare Mr Federer to the Borg/McEnroe era, or against Sampras. Nadal not withstanding Federer won in a less competitive era in my opinion.
No they won't. A 14-time slam winner, poor opposition. Get a grip. The best and the joint second best were in the same era.

Happycamping

And the Williams sisters contested the women's final. The last hurrah of a golden generation, perhaps.
Serena is an absolute machine. Won't see a woman that dominant for a long time I would think. Pity Venus wasn't at her best for a good part of her career.

Last edited:

gerhard dengler

I admire Roger Federer, he is a phenomenal player.

Like every discussion about "who is the GOAT", each candidate is locked in to the opponents in their given era.

Is the era of Federer/Nadal/Djoko better than the Sampras era or the Borg era?
Difficult to tell.

My own subjective view is that the quality of opponent in the Sampras era was deeper than the Federer era. But each player can only play against the opponent at the time.

GOAT : the contenders are Laver, Borg, Sampras, Federer.
Djoko if he adds to his 12 grand slam titles will join the Fab 4.

Black Swan

I didn't see the match but I was happy to hear that Federer won. I don't think Nadal has it in him to outdo Federer now.

Happycamping

Better than Graf? Navratilova?
I would think so yes. I always thought it was a bad sign of women's tennis at the time that no one could punish graf for not having a proper backhand.That said, the rest of her game was sensational. Nav was excellent too. Her battles with everett were a real pantomime.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies