• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Feed a family of 4 on €10 a day / €70 a week

Another thread is flagging up stats like 69% of kids are going to school hungry which seems excessive.

So here is a challenge for people.

Design a menu that will feed a family of 4 for day for €10 / €70 a week that includes a reasonable selection of meats / vegetables which ensures people don't go hungry and family have a cooked meal every evening.

spidermom

I can do a dinner a day for 6 for a tenner..have been doing so for years...!!
Not sure I could do a tenner a day for all the food...(have 3 teens.. :) )

asset test

Feed a family on 20 quid uk a week....

From Feed a family of four for £20 a week challenge - Page 2 - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

Week 2l
Carried over from week 1 is
Mayonaisse, salt, Plain flour, 2x cheese sauces, lemon curd, 5 stock cubes. 1.5kg of potatoes, gravy granuales and 400g of rice and spread.
Shopping list- All from Mrt unless stated.
500g of Cornflakes 31p
Creamfields milk 2l x 2 £2.00
500g dried mixed fruit 64p
Wholemeal loaf 47p
1 small fresh chicken whole £2.39 at Aldi
Mixed veg frozen 1kg 75p
Mixed herbs 19p
Potatoes 5kg £1.78
Coleslaw 500g 39p
12pk bread rolls 35p
15pk eggs £1.25
Sweetcorn tinned 33p
Custard 6p
Tinned peaches 29p
Tin tuna 49p
Tinned pineapple x2 64p
1kg of frozen sausages 20pk £1
Pasta 30p 500g
Stuffing 15p.
Tin of kidney beansx2 36p
6x tins of mushy peas 24p
Cooking bacon 74p
Tinned grapefruit 34p
Rice 1kg 40p
Rice pudding 12p
Tin of carrots 18p
Frozen broccoli 80p
Cooking onions £1.00
Cheese 100g from the deli grove valley 48p
Yoghurts x4 33p
Lemon squash 32p
Tea bags 27p
Bananas 1kg 68p
8pk of tesco goodness apples £1.00
Sultananas 84p
Total £19.75 so put in another 2 packets of stock cubes to start building up supplies.

Breakfasts.
Cornflakes with mixed dried fruit and milk for 4 days.
Lemon curd pancakes on the other 3 days. Make the batter up with plain flour, a touch of salt and an egg and a splash of milk.

Lunches.
Day 1, Egg mayonaisse with sweetcorn rolls. Followed by peaches with custard.

Day 2, Jacket potato with coleslaw.

Day 3, Left over chicken & sweetcorn mayonaisse on jacket potato.

Day 4, Bacon and pea soup with a roll.

Day 5, Bacon and pea soup with croutons made out of 1 slice of bread. Grapefruit for afters.

Day 6, Chicken and vegetable soup. This time made out of the carcass of the full chicken that is left. Rest of the method is the same but the luxury of a pinch of mixed herbs this time as well

Day 7, Kidney bean pasta.

Dinners
Day 1, Roast chicken with stuffing, home made yorshires and a tin of carrots and broccoli and roast potatoes. Roast the full chicken but just use the 2 legs and 1 breast.
Pineapple and custard to follow.

Day 2, Chicken pie, made with left over chicken breast, mixed veg and gravy. Make the pastry by mixing spread and flour with a pinch of salt and a dash of water to mix. Serve with peas. The rest of the chicken meat pull of for lunch on day 3. Keep the carcass in the freezer ready for lunch day 6.

Day 3, Tuna pasta bake. Mix the tin of tuna with a cheese sauce mix and broccoli.

Day 4, Bacon hash. 1/2 pkt of bacon, the last of last weeks potatoes cut in to disks, 2x onions roughly sliced. Layer up, top with 50g of cheese and serve with broccoli.

Day 5, Sausage, egg and chips with a slice of bread and spread. Use 4 sausages for this. Follow with pineapple.

Day 6, Veggie burgers made from the remaining mixed veg, two slices of bread as bread crumbs and some stuffing mix for extra flavour. Serve with kidney beans and rice.

Day 7, Make some pastry as before. Roll out in to a flan tin. Fill with 5 eggs, some bacon and an onion, add some cheese 50g with a pinch of salt and dash of milk. Serve with the remaining coleslaw.

There is plenty of fruit, yoghurts and dried fruit for snacks. And a lot more can carry over until the following week. Sausages as an example.

CookieMonster

Feed a family on 20 quid uk a week....

From Feed a family of four for £20 a week challenge - Page 2 - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

Week 2l
Carried over from week 1 is
Mayonaisse, salt, Plain flour, 2x cheese sauces, lemon curd, 5 stock cubes. 1.5kg of potatoes, gravy granuales and 400g of rice and spread.
Shopping list- All from Mrt unless stated.
500g of Cornflakes 31p
Creamfields milk 2l x 2 £2.00
500g dried mixed fruit 64p
Wholemeal loaf 47p
1 small fresh chicken whole £2.39 at Aldi
Mixed veg frozen 1kg 75p
Mixed herbs 19p
Potatoes 5kg £1.78
Coleslaw 500g 39p
12pk bread rolls 35p
15pk eggs £1.25
Sweetcorn tinned 33p
Custard 6p
Tinned peaches 29p
Tin tuna 49p
Tinned pineapple x2 64p
1kg of frozen sausages 20pk £1
Pasta 30p 500g
Stuffing 15p.
Tin of kidney beansx2 36p
6x tins of mushy peas 24p
Cooking bacon 74p
Tinned grapefruit 34p
Rice 1kg 40p
Rice pudding 12p
Tin of carrots 18p
Frozen broccoli 80p
Cooking onions £1.00
Cheese 100g from the deli grove valley 48p
Yoghurts x4 33p
Lemon squash 32p
Tea bags 27p
Bananas 1kg 68p
8pk of tesco goodness apples £1.00
Sultananas 84p
Total £19.75 so put in another 2 packets of stock cubes to start building up supplies.

Breakfasts.
Cornflakes with mixed dried fruit and milk for 4 days.
Lemon curd pancakes on the other 3 days. Make the batter up with plain flour, a touch of salt and an egg and a splash of milk.

Lunches.
Day 1, Egg mayonaisse with sweetcorn rolls. Followed by peaches with custard.

Day 2, Jacket potato with coleslaw.

Day 3, Left over chicken & sweetcorn mayonaisse on jacket potato.

Day 4, Bacon and pea soup with a roll.

Day 5, Bacon and pea soup with croutons made out of 1 slice of bread. Grapefruit for afters.

Day 6, Chicken and vegetable soup. This time made out of the carcass of the full chicken that is left. Rest of the method is the same but the luxury of a pinch of mixed herbs this time as well

Day 7, Kidney bean pasta.

Dinners
Day 1, Roast chicken with stuffing, home made yorshires and a tin of carrots and broccoli and roast potatoes. Roast the full chicken but just use the 2 legs and 1 breast.
Pineapple and custard to follow.

Day 2, Chicken pie, made with left over chicken breast, mixed veg and gravy. Make the pastry by mixing spread and flour with a pinch of salt and a dash of water to mix. Serve with peas. The rest of the chicken meat pull of for lunch on day 3. Keep the carcass in the freezer ready for lunch day 6.

Day 3, Tuna pasta bake. Mix the tin of tuna with a cheese sauce mix and broccoli.

Day 4, Bacon hash. 1/2 pkt of bacon, the last of last weeks potatoes cut in to disks, 2x onions roughly sliced. Layer up, top with 50g of cheese and serve with broccoli.

Day 5, Sausage, egg and chips with a slice of bread and spread. Use 4 sausages for this. Follow with pineapple.

Day 6, Veggie burgers made from the remaining mixed veg, two slices of bread as bread crumbs and some stuffing mix for extra flavour. Serve with kidney beans and rice.

Day 7, Make some pastry as before. Roll out in to a flan tin. Fill with 5 eggs, some bacon and an onion, add some cheese 50g with a pinch of salt and dash of milk. Serve with the remaining coleslaw.

There is plenty of fruit, yoghurts and dried fruit for snacks. And a lot more can carry over until the following week. Sausages as an example.
The cost of food in the UK is much lower than Ireland. You'll get a lot more for £20 in a UK supermarket than you would for €25 in an Irish one.

Shpake

I know this is meant as a rhetorical question rather than a real one. But the reality is that a lot of people are in bad shape. So the actual answer is
1) Oatmeal porridge for breakfast

2) Spuds and butter for midday... just like the old Irish... lots of nutriments in it

3) For the evening meal something exotic... like cornflakes... No keep that for Sundays
the other cheapie... pasta and tomatoes in season.

For sunday maybe pound of bacon and some cabbage. You have to have your greens.

The south americas go in for bean and rice a lot... supposed to be cheap and healthy.

trimmings such as cream with the porridge... veggies or an boiled egg with the spuds,
parmesan with the spagetti... wait till after the budget and I'll give my verdict.
:-¦

spidermom

Thks asset...they dont do veggie burgers...and neither does Spidey dad..and they've gone right off quiche!!
:)

Fav dinner is still mash,sausages and a fried egg on top!!

Occasional though...as I know its not exactly the most nutritionally sound!!

They forgot homemade pizza as well!!...(which is great for leftover anything) and is regarded as a treat.

And no more tuna pasta bake...(unless spidey dad away...he's absolutely had enough of that one too!!)

asset test

The cost of food in the UK is much lower than Ireland. You'll get a lot more for £20 in a UK supermarket than you would for €25 in an Irish one.
Yes true, I did mean to mention that, but forgot before I hit the button.

But still, ideas are there.

I read that site sometimes with my mouth open, the lengths some will go to save money.

I think some of it is because they are genuinely strapped, and some is total frugality handed down from the wartime make do and mend generation.

nonpartyboy

You must be shopping in tescos.....plently of bargains to be had, espically in aldi,lidl and dunnes.

spidermom

Opps...re the bacon hash...much wiser to buy a large piece of ham (when its on special)...you get a dinner,lunches and a ham hash....as the recipe says but with either spring onions/leaks (from the garden...) and tinned pineapple....YUM....

CookieMonster

Oh! I rarely have eggs any more. At home we used to have our own hens so I got out of the habit of it and shop eggs, even free range corn fed types, aren't as nice.

But I might have this for tea tomorrow.

asset test

Thks asset...they dont do veggie burgers...and neither does Spidey dad..and they've gone right off quiche!!

They forgot homemade pizza as well!!...(which is great for leftover anything) and is regarded as a treat.

And no more tuna pasta bake...(unless spidey dad away...he's absolutely had enough of that one too!!)
For some reason am unable to "thank" your post.

What in hells name is wrong with sausage and mash. It is divine. Esp with real sliced onions in gravy, no egg with that one!

CookieMonster

You must be shopping in tescos.....plently of bargains to be had, espically in aldi,lidl and dunnes.
Superquinn. Even still, if I do my shopping in Waitrose now the difference is still significant.

nonpartyboy

Not a Shepherd's pie, stew, lasagne, liver and bacon, spag bol to be seen......loads more things you can cook for little or nothing.

firefly123

Homemade pizzas.
Use a tortilla as the base. Cover with a thin layer of purée and grated cheese and then add anything you like once it's sliced thin. A couple of minutes in the oven and enjoy. Tasty. Good for getting rid of leftovers and kids have fun making them.

tigerben

If I can find a previous mention Wartime recipe book, I could post up some recipes. Mr Tigerben seems to have hidden it in retaliation on the recieving end of one to many dinners :), but they wasted nothing and it's not like today's cook books, where a meal cost 50 euro taken in to account " store cupboard supplies"

asset test

Not a Shepherd's pie, stew, lasagne, liver and bacon, spag bol to be seen......loads more things you can cook for little or nothing.
I think if you open the uk thread, you will find many a recipe such as you mention, for tough times. Even if you are not in need of thrifty menus, some of the ideas are great.

Anyhow they are trying to feed a family for 20 quid A WEEK!

Warren Poynt

Breakfast: Juice, muesli(Summer), porridge (Winter), slice of home baked brown bread with honey and tea.

11-ses: Yogurt and small choc bar.

Lunch: One fruit (apple, orange, banana), own-brand beans on toast (winter) or cheese/ham sandwich. Lemon/lime water.

4 p.m. snack:mug of soup/ drinking chocolate.

Dinner: choice of home-made spagetti bolognaise, pasta carbonara, bangers, mash and pea/beans plus gravy (no chips and no take-aways), Irish stew, home-made burgers with mash plus veg, home-made chicken curry and rice, any kind of home-made stir-fry and rice, a home-made lasagne, shepard's pie, home-made pizza, and so-on.

Any un-eaten food NOT to be thrown out, but re-cycled into a later meal or dinner next day.

Haven't costed it, but all of the above meals are easy to make, from cheap healthy ingredients, and should not break the maximum spending limit.

Main thing is not to buy processed foods. Look for supermarket bargains and tell your children about the nutritional value of what they are eating. Educate their eating habits as well as your own.

Final thought: Do our law-breakers and criminals in jail get better and free food compared with a family that may have fallen on hard times ?

Last edited:

former wesleyan

Easy. Mince for spagbol. Some left over ...par boil some rice add, stuff redgreenyellow peppers. Bacon and cabbage ( Northern style ) ...boil cabbage fry bacon, toss cabbage in bacon gravey for 6 seconds, serve w/spuds. Chicken legs and thighs..skin, fry add spices + spoon yoghurt = chicken curry, or add tandoori paste, put in oven, serve with homemade chips and salad.

asset test

Just remember reading on one of uk threads that they bulk up the chilli, spag Bol etc with lentils, oatmeal, and puréed leftover veg.

I did that a while ago for bolognaise, and it was grand. Felt very virtuous with all the healthy additions, then smothered the blooming thing with Parmesan...

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies