• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Feeding the 5000 Dublin

truthforsooth

Hi I was just wondering if anyone attended this event yesterday or heard anything about how it went? Great initiative, long overdue...
- Welcome to Feeding 5K Dublin

Troy_337

Sounds like a brilliant way to address hunger. I imagine it has an education component to inform the public how to distinguish food that's gone off from food that is misshapen.

truthforsooth

Sounds like a brilliant way to address hunger. I imagine it has an education component to inform the public how to distinguish food that's gone off from food that is misshapen.
Yes it does. Have a look at the bottom of the website homepage, there's a list of sponsors and their activities, much focused around education.

truthforsooth

We could also stop dumping fish that has been caught back into the ocean.
Of course you're right, but that's a political/economic issue that can't be managed by a group of volunteers with a bit of funding from a few social/environmental groups. Yesterday's "Feeding the 5k" was a hands-on, making a difference in one's own community effort. At least I hope so. You see, I wasn't at it. That's why I'm asking if someone can tell us anything about it.

asset test

I didn't attend, but would ask if there is agitation to allow misshapen veg and the like to be sold in our shops.

In other words the EU regulations are going mad!

Are the misshapen and under regulation food dumped?

Tht is disgraceful if so.

A spud is a spud, and a carrot is a carrot,

But then again rules and regs keep th bureaucrats in Brussels in fine gravy.

truthforsooth

I didn't attend, but would ask if there is agitation to allow misshapen veg and the like to be sold in our shops.

I'd say it's more cosmetic considerations by the retailers, who only want "good looking" food on their shelves. Fair enough, if that's what they want. But the shame is that the rejected food up to now has been dumped instead of used elsewhere. Hopefully this practise is beginning to change.

truthforsooth

hammer

Great incentive. Any way that all those goods could be supplied directly to soup kitchens etc instead of being dumped ?

meriwether

Thats an interesting stream of consciousness there. And by 'stream of consciousness', I mean 'stream of diarrhoea'.

Congratulations on being misinformed, and barking mad.

Make

EvotingMachine0197

You've got the wrong end of the celery stick there, big time.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies