Female NZ politician under pressure over the babies question.

Wascurito

I remember back in the dark and dreary 1980s, one of my female associates came back from a job interview almost literally spitting fire. During the interview, one of the male interviewers pressed her over her plans to have a family and the time she'd need to take off work. I'm pretty sure it was illegal even then to ask such a question.

We're used to our Antipodean cousins being a little right wing on certain things, especially when it comes to the treatment of women so maybe this story shouldn't be a surprise. Anyway, the new Kiwi opposition leader, Jacinda Ardern got pressed twice in the space of a few hours about whether she planned to have children. In particular, the second of the two interviewers told her that New Zealanders had a right to know when and if she planned to become pregnant!

There's no doubt that a man would not be asked such questions, even though, these days, fathers play as much of a role as mothers do in the raising of children and paternal leave is the norm in most western countries. So, why the need to subject women and only women to this line of questioning?

TheJournal: Sexism row in New Zealand after party leader is told public has right to know her parenthood plans

D

Deleted member 48908

Proper vetting is required in New Zealand, a place so filled with fervor they put zeal right in the name.

They must do all they can to keep moon-howlers and window licking loons away from positions of power.

Congalltee

Ardern is hardly under pressure about it. She was dignified. The interviewer should have been told where to go.

ger12

"The grilling by cricketer-turned-TV host Mark Richardson ... ".

Eejit. Perhaps TV stations employing eejits like this could send them on a course?

edwin

If she's PM her office should publish both her diary and menstrual calendar.

Notachipanoaktree

I remember back in the dark and dreary 1980s, one of my female associates came back from a job interview almost literally spitting fire. During the interview, one of the male interviewers pressed her over her plans to have a family and the time she'd need to take off work. I'm pretty sure it was illegal even then to ask such a question.

We're used to our Antipodean cousins being a little right wing on certain things, especially when it comes to the treatment of women so maybe this story shouldn't be a surprise. Anyway, the new Kiwi opposition leader, Jacinda Ardern got pressed twice in the space of a few hours about whether she planned to have children. In particular, the second of the two interviewers told her that New Zealanders had a right to know when and if she planned to become pregnant!

There's no doubt that a man would not be asked such questions, even though, these days, fathers play as much of a role as mothers do in the raising of children and paternal leave is the norm in most western countries. So, why the need to subject women and only women to this line of questioning?

TheJournal: Sexism row in New Zealand after party leader is told public has right to know her parenthood plans
Hard times, Hard times come again oh Girls. Employers want people who are reliable and who work without destroying the reputation of everybody else he employs. There are plenty of Poles and Nigerians fit and able to do the Girls and the Mens work for almost FA. So FO girls back to your under-employed men, k.

JimmyFoley

'Asking Ardern about her plans to have children implicitly reinforces the sexist notion that a woman’s primary role is motherhood, no matter how accomplished she is in other areas,” she wrote.'

Eh, no. They just want to know whether she is planning to do something that would preclude her from doing her job (leading the country) for a couple of months at least.

It may seem crass, but I think it's fair enough in that context.

Wascurito

Hard times, Hard times come again oh Girls. Employers want people who are reliable and who work without destroying the reputation of everybody else he employs. There are plenty of Poles and Nigerians fit and able to do the Girls and the Mens work for almost FA. So FO girls back to your under-employed men, k.
Ah, the perils of drunking while post.

Congalltee

'Asking Ardern about her plans to have children implicitly reinforces the sexist notion that a woman’s primary role is motherhood, no matter how accomplished she is in other areas,” she wrote.'

Eh, no. They just want to know whether she is planning to do something that would preclude her from doing her job (leading the country) for a couple of months at least.

You think pregnant people can't lead a government? What the actual fock is wrong with you?

Wascurito

If it's fair for a female leader to be asked such questions, then it's fair for a male leader to be asked such questions.

Wascurito

Surely. The stats for men having babies are off the charts.
If you want to act daft, feel free.

Others here know that having a child is a huge thing for fathers and it does affect their working lives.

devoutcapitalist

Add a 'D' in there and you could write headlines for The Sun.
People get outraged over anything these days. We'll see how she gets on as leader, she could scrape a coalition together with the Greens as the NZ Labour Party will doubtless get a bounce in the polls.

JimmyFoley

If you want to act daft, feel free.

Others here know that having a child is a huge thing for fathers and it does affect their working lives.
Of course it can affect their working lives; so what? Are you honestly trying to compare the carrying, delivering and recovering involved in pregnancy and being a father?

Cop on.

New Threads

Most Replies