Feminism and a scantily clad Emma Watson

PeacefulViking

Emma Watson, actress with outspoken feminist views, has appeared in Vanity Fair. Aside from an interview she also has is shown in several pictures, in one of them nearly topless.

Some have criticized the photo shoot for being incompatible with Watson's professed feminist views, while she has expressed incredulity that anyone could see a conflict with feminism. BBC report here (yes, with pictures).

As a non-feminist, indeed to be honest probably anti-feminist, I can't get my head around feminists' view of sexuality. (Other parts of their ideology I may or may not share, but I usually understand what a feminist would think.) This is just one more example to confuse me. I don't understand how this photo shoot does not contribute to the evil objectification of women, while so many other pictures of scantily clad women do. The BBC article even quotes the campaigners against the page 3 girls as being positive to Emma Watson's appearance in Vanity Fair. It is like environmentalists celebrating the burning down of a rain forest because Al Gore did it.

Bill

Who is Emma Watson?

flavirostris

Seems like she wants to have her cake and eat it.

'Don't objectify me, I'm a feminist.. btw here's some pictures of me getting my títs out'

She was also tweeting about refugees. I guarantee she did not take in one refugee.

stopdoingstuff

Rich girls have nothing to say that some working class bird hasn't figured out 10 years before her.

D

Deleted member 45466

I'm not seeing the big deal.

Give me this any day of the week:

Didn't need to take her knickers off either.

Mushroom

Congalltee

This going to one of those threads where sad "straight" men talk about what women shouldn't wear?

gerhard dengler

Emma Watson, actress with outspoken feminist views, has appeared in Vanity Fair. Aside from an interview she also has is shown in several pictures, in one of them nearly topless.

Some have criticized the photo shoot for being incompatible with Watson's professed feminist views, while she has expressed incredulity that anyone could see a conflict with feminism. BBC report here (yes, with pictures).

As a non-feminist, indeed to be honest probably anti-feminist, I can't get my head around feminists' view of sexuality. (Other parts of their ideology I may or may not share, but I usually understand what a feminist would think.) This is just one more example to confuse me. I don't understand how this photo shoot does not contribute to the evil objectification of women, while so many other pictures of scantily clad women do. The BBC article even quotes the campaigners against the page 3 girls as being positive to Emma Watson's appearance in Vanity Fair. It is like environmentalists celebrating the burning down of a rain forest because Al Gore did it.
Words only mean what Watson and the campaigners want them mean.

A trait shared by most "feminists"

razorblade

Another self obsessed airhead who thinks real people give a fuk about any of her views.

PeacefulViking

This going to one of those threads where sad "straight" men talk about what women shouldn't wear?
To be serious, I have not seen too many people saying that she should not do the shoot, but more questioning whether she can do it and simultaneously call herself a feminist.

flavirostris

Another self obsessed airhead who thinks real people give a fuk about any of her views.
It is amazing how people who appear in kid's fantasy movies suddenly become experts on world poverty and migration issues and worse, get taken seriously.

PBP voter

IMDB tell me she was in Harry Potter and the like.

Emma Watson - IMDb

She is an overpaid sanctimonious Brit who has ripped off foolish slum dwellers who pay to watch rubbish like Harry Potter.

Then people wonder why the rich get richer? :confused:

Mushroom

I think you've got the wrong leg of the tree there. What happened is that she got some of her kit off for a fancy magazine and then took exception to being objectified. Presumably she felt that if she showed the world a fair portion of her neat little boobettes we'd immediately realise that she was an empowered female.

Dearghoul

IMDB tell me she was in Harry Potter and the like.

Emma Watson - IMDb

She is an overpaid sanctimonious Brit who has ripped off foolish slum dwellers who pay to watch rubbish like Harry Potter.

Then people wonder why the rich get richer? :confused:
Harry Potter-Slum Dwellers-Rich Get Richer.

We are indebted to you for your analysis comrade.

Arn't slum dwellers those you hope to woo over?

Don't think they'll be over the moon with your depiction of their homes.

Anyway, back on topic, great breasts or what?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies