Fewer NI people feel British than other UK regions - survey

theloner

'only 4% of those with a Catholic background identified as British.'

This would have been bigger in the past. Why do you reckon it has changed?

Glaucon

All of these polls are snapshots in time and will be used by either side to justify their cause.

Looking at it long term, the tendancy of the young is to support a united Ireland with Brexit playing a leading role in that. But at the end of the day, when push comes to shove, both communities will revert to type. The battle will be won among those in the middle who feel comfortable in both the UK and a united Ireland within the EU.

As of now, demographics are still against Nationalists but that is rapidly changing. The large drop in Catholics feeling "Northern Irish" as compared to the 2011 census is notable.

Newrybhoy

I think it's time they included the questions:

Are you prepared to jeapordise your Public Sector job and pension to achieve a United Ireland?

Are you prepared to lose access to free Health Care for life in order to achieve a United Ireland?

Let's make it a bit more real.

between the bridges

Pffft, what kind of sad cant starts a fred on silly polls...

vivabrigada

Are you prepared to jeapordise your Public Sector job and pension to achieve a United Ireland?

Are you prepared to lose access to free Health Care for life in order to achieve a United Ireland?

Ok, add in:
Are you prepared to throw your future in with the worst British Tory government in living memory post brexit?

between the bridges

104.6% of people are ether Northern Irish or British...

tokkie

Arlene and the DUP are doing their best to ensure anyone with a Catholic background feels isolated and unwanted.

GDPR

British is a complex word- I consider myself British but a lot of people who I know and love don't consider me such. At the end of the day it is the English who get to define Britishness. At the end of the day it is the English who get to define Britishness- I recall my mum in laws bitchy quip to my sister rather she went on a bit of a Loyalist rant; "You are as British my dear as a Badford Salafi, but even they speak English with a British accent". Having lived both in Ulster and England I would say that savage Ulster Prods are the least like the average English person of the various groups on these Isles.

tokkie

You've made two classic mistakes there. Firstly PS pensions are contractual and will be paid irrespective. Secondly, you're presuming a UI will be incorporation of NI with the RoI, rather than a negotiated settlement.

Newrybhoy

You've made two classic mistakes there. Firstly PS pensions are contractual and will be paid irrespective. Secondly, you're presuming a UI will be incorporation of NI with the RoI, rather than a negotiated settlement.
Firstly if you've only worked a few years in your profession it won't be worth a lot.

Secondly all we hear is that the public sector will be slashed in event of a UI.

All those teachers in duplicated schools all over NI must be thrilled at the thought.

tokkie

Firstly if you've only worked a few years in your profession it won't be worth a lot.

Secondly all we hear is that the public sector will be slashed in event of a UI.

All those teachers in duplicated schools all over NI must be thrilled at the thought.
Again with the classic mistakes.

Firstly your PS pension entitlement is contractual, irrespective of its amount.

Secondly you're presuming the PS will be slashed. The population requiring public services won't disappear and will still require public services.

between the bridges

Secondly you're presuming the PS will be slashed. The population requiring public services won't disappear and will still require public services.
Here horse have ye mentioned WW2 yet?...

Newrybhoy

Well let's see where the Free State are getting the cash to pay all the wages, the benefits and the new found security problems.

AhNowStop

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-44398502

Makes for interesting reading
The research and the poll were conducted in May

Are we moving closer to a point when the bigoted Orange state of NI will be confined to the ash heap of history where it belongs?
I knew that other poll that said only 2 from 5 Nationalists would currently vote for a UN and that that figure would only go up to 50% in the event of a hard brexit was taken outside a Rory McIlroy appreciation convention :roll: .. total rubbish ..

Tis no wonder little "Peter the Punt" was on TV last night complaining about the "international agreement" of 50% + 1 ........

Keep er lit Snarlene, yer playing a blinder :lol:

AhNowStop

I'll give you ten reasons ....

1 = Brexit

2-10 = Snarlene

Niall996

I thought previous unionist leaders were bad but Foster seems to be a very embittered angry hate filled individual. I can see her turning off nationalists for whom she clearly has nothing but contempt in their drones. And her attitude towards the ROI is absolutely disgusting.

devonish

I knew that other poll that said only 2 from 5 Nationalists would currently vote for a UN and that that figure would only go up to 50% in the event of a hard brexit was taken outside a Rory McIlroy appreciation convention :roll: .. total rubbish ..

Tis no wonder little "Peter the Punt" was on TV last night complaining about the "international agreement" of 50% + 1 ........

Keep er lit Snarlene, yer playing a blinder :lol:
You're exhibiting a bit of confirmation bias, seeking evidence to support your desired outcome and dismissing evidence to the contrary. There's a big unexplained difference between this poll by Lucid Talk and the QUB poll, one thing which doesn't look credible is that the Lucid Poll only has 0.2% non-voters, that would be a staggering 99.8% turnout which just doesn't seem credible. Strange but there is no sign of the details of this survey on the Lucid Talk website.

New Threads

Most Replies