FF ard feis and the collapse of N.I power sharing talks.

redneck

It is official, the N.I assembly talks have failed to reach an agreement. The DUP have announced that there will be no Stormont assembly for the foreseeable future. There are a lot of reasons for this:
Irish language act, Gay marriage, legacy issues and so on. But on line there has been comment by some prominent Unionists about FF refusal to talk to Sinn Fein.
If FF will not talk to Sinn Féin they say- then why on earth should we. Check out this tweet by Jamie Bryson@JamieBrysonCPNI
https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/1014/912342-power-sharing/

max99

Tuned into 10 mins of the Ard Fheis this morning,,, but had to turn it over!!
stomach churning stuff!!
Does anyone really care about these draconian meet ups for the boys? :roll:

hollandia

Jamie Bryson

@JamieBrysonCPNI

"You don't deal with the serpent by inviting it into your bed..." - DUP should heed the words of Fianna Fáil TD Shane Cassells.

9:45 AM - 14 Oct 2017
Someone needs to take Micheal to task over this. Bring on the locals in 2019, FF will be slapped out of the North by nationalists. Utter díckhead politicking with things he knows bugger all about.

redneck

The "serpent" quote by Shane Cassells is being likened to the "Crocodile" quote by Arlene Foster. Unionists are using it anyway to end the talks.
Close similarity between the FFers and the Dupers!

edwin

Someone needs to take Micheal to task over this. Bring on the locals in 2019, FF will be slapped out of the North by nationalists. Utter díckhead politicking with things he knows bugger all about.
It's not the language I'd use but there is definitely no comparison between a (as SF tell us whenever it's criticised for something) relatively powerless devolved Assembly and the parliament of a sovereign country. FF are not going to ship damage in the south by being painted as willing to entertain govt with SF.

edwin

The "serpent" quote by Shane Cassells is being likened to the "Crocodile" quote by Arlene Foster. Unionists are using it anyway to end the talks.
Close similarity between the FFers and the Dupers!
Only if you're a total eejit. Still, nice to see shinners taking the unionists so seriously.

Dame_Enda

Ideal solution on marriage would be for Westminster to legislate for it but that won't happen I guess before the next election due to DUP keeping Tories in office.

I also think FF made a mistake - and a hypocritical one - by ruling out coallition with SF 'under any circumstances', while supporting SF and the DUP being in govt in NI. I think it's purely an electoral strategy and doesn't make sense when you remember FFs own history as a 'slightly constitutional party before 1933. Having said that I wouldn't vote SF I'm still Independent.

Wascurito

Yeah, it's all the fault of FF and MM. Totally.

edwin

Ideal solution on marriage would be for Westminster to legislate for it but that won't happen I guess before the next election due to DUP keeping Tories in office.

I also think FF made a mistake - and a hypocritical one - by ruling out coallition with SF 'under any circumstances', while supporting SF and the DUP being in govt in NI. I think it's purely an electoral strategy and doesn't make sense when you remember FFs own history as a 'slightly constitutional party before 1933. Having said that I wouldn't vote SF I'm still Independent.
It's a necessary strategy to stop FG cleaning up the centrist anti shinner vote (which is pretty significant). Shinners will moan mainly because they'd like FF to be the new SDLP and are dismayed it's not happening.

slysnara

I could see a PM Corbyn doing that to nudge the north towards a united Ireland. Not much point opposing the gay marriage-allowing Republic when Westminster is forcing it on you anyway.

Happycamping

It is official, the N.I assembly talks have failed to reach an agreement. The DUP have announced that there will be no Stormont assembly for the foreseeable future. There are a lot of reasons for this:
Irish language act, Gay marriage, legacy issues and so on. But on line there has been comment by some prominent Unionists about FF refusal to talk to Sinn Fein.
If FF will not talk to Sinn Féin they say- then why on earth should we. Check out this tweet by Jamie Bryson@JamieBrysonCPNI
https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/1014/912342-power-sharing/
I hate FF and what they have done to this country...but thats just ridiculous.

hollandia

It's not the language I'd use but there is definitely no comparison between a (as SF tell us whenever it's criticised for something) relatively powerless devolved Assembly and the parliament of a sovereign country. FF are not going to ship damage in the south by being painted as willing to entertain govt with SF.
Yet there's the innate hypocrisy of on Tuesday saying "SF had their chance to influence the budget" and on Thursday saying "FF have ruled out any deal with SF" as the former heavily implies they thought about it. Secondly there's the innate hypocrisy of saying "SF should stop holding back the return of Stormont and they should take their seats in Westminster" with "Look, we're a constitutional Republican party, and we've ruled out any deal with SF".

I don't care as I've always believed FF were total snakes, but the more Republican minded of their grass roots ain't gonna be happy.

Spirit Of Newgrange

the irish language sux, so as a southern catholic, i can empathize with the sentiments of Arlene et al.

lets stop ramming that language down everybodies throat. And then lets talk.

redneck

Only if you're a total eejit. Still, nice to see shinners taking the unionists so seriously.
the talks are over. No N.I assembly this year.

edwin

Yet there's the innate hypocrisy of on Tuesday saying "SF had their chance to influence the budget" and on Thursday saying "FF have ruled out any deal with SF" as the former heavily implies they thought about it. Secondly there's the innate hypocrisy of saying "SF should stop holding back the return of Stormont and they should take their seats in Westminster" with "Look, we're a constitutional Republican party, and we've ruled out any deal with SF".

I don't care as I've always believed FF were total snakes, but the more Republican minded of their grass roots ain't gonna be happy.
I am one of the republican minded of their grassroots and I recognise that we have no option in order to prevent FG running off with the next election. And I doubt you're that naive about politics that you can't see the realpolitic here.

Strawberry

I am one of the republican minded of their grassroots and I recognise that we have no option in order to prevent FG running off with the next election. And I doubt you're that naive about politics that you can't see the realpolitic here.
So your masterplan for winning the next election is to turn into Fine Gael? Good luck with that.

redneck

I voted SF in last election. But have problems with some of their agenda. Especially the Liberal one.
I like FF views on Pro life issues- I also like the DUP support for family values. That said as a "Gaeilgoir" I cannot understand the contempt that FF, Labour and FG have for the N.I assembly and Sinn féin.

Wascurito

the irish language sux, so as a southern catholic, i can empathize with the sentiments of Arlene et al.

lets stop ramming that language down everybodies throat. And then lets talk.
Given the state of the above post, it's clear that English was never rammed down your throat.

Or even dangled in your vicinity.

edwin

So your masterplan for winning the next election is to turn into Fine Gael? Good luck with that.
Steering clear of SF is not turning into FG. I'm not particularly comfortable with the emphasis myself but I do understand it - a huge proportion of the southern electorate despise SF and will punish anyone who goes near them.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies