FF are doing to us again what the British did for 800 years

Cincinnatus

Website
www.supernatural.ie
This was in the Irish Mail on Sunday on the 16th. They don't have an Irish web edition yet, but this site carries some articles.

GENERALLY, england's rule in Ireland is viewed as a time of force, immorality and suppression. Centuries of empire taught the British all the tricks of the trade when it came to controlling a nation. they skilfully employed divide-and-rule, denying us rights and education and pitting us against each other. they took land and homes away from families to give to landlords, treating us like the peasants they took us for while plundering our resources.

We were bludgeoned into submission physically, economically, culturally and spiritually. When the classes that counted threatened to revolt, there was a well-established British tradition for dealing with the troublesome Irish problem of its people wanting democracy and a republic.
Sound familiar?

Mandatory reading for young FFers!

http://findarticles.com/p/news-articles/mail-on-sunday-london-england-the/mi_8003/is_2010_May_16/fianna-fail-british-800-years/ai_n53614888/?tag=content;col1

Last edited:

adrem

A remarkably balanced and unbiased piece reporting just the facts - if only !

VoteFFno1

Website
www.fiannafail.ie
I am quite surprised an article by that women has made it to this chat forum. Shouldn't she be writing articles about women clothes or something.

T

The_Big_Fellow

Didn't Liam Lynch say that the only thing that was changing in Ireland in the 20's was the whip hand. How right he was.

The sickening site of FF TD's using his anniversary as a junket still continues. FF are the new Cumann na Gaedhal.

Aindriu

A very good article in my opinion. Right on the button!

eoghanacht

I am quite surprised an article by that women has made it to this chat forum. Shouldn't she be writing articles about women clothes or something.
Your sig makes me laugh, coming from a FF'er talk of acting justly is well laughable.

your misogyny not so much.

I find this line to be very true :

when we put the British out, we put their successors in. Men who were well trained by their imperial ringmaster. the rot began almost immediately

FF is packed with Castle Catholics and those who would have gleefully played the part of the Lords land agent, happily squeezing their fellow country men just as long as their own positions and that of their inner circle remained untouched, scum.

Disillusioned democrat

We have the democracy we deserve. We voted for the current TDs in the dail.
I actually don't believe we do have democracy in Ireland, and haven't for quite some time. FF have cobbled the last two governments together from a ragtag bag of Independents and "junior partners" buy effectively buying them off with beads and junkets.

The key weakness of democracy "Irish-style" is that gombeens like Jackie Healy-Rae, with a mandate from the vested interests of South Kerry, gets to decide on who forms the Government and all down to a secret deal he "done" with Bertie.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
Yes, negative equity on a lot of houses and high unemploment is the exact same as events like the famine and religious suppression.

We should also tell people in third world countries that we can understand their suffering, many Irish people have to get by on a mere €200 a week now and can't pay for that holiday or second car any more. I have heard of kids here going without playstations, sure such deprivation is just like the Penal Laws.

Anyone who thinks our problems now are comparable with our problems in the past should go dance a jig on the graves of the likes of Robert Emmett.

MPB

Yes, negative equity on a lot of houses and high unemploment is the exact same as events like the famine and religious suppression.

We should also tell people in third world countries that we can understand their suffering, many Irish people have to get by on a mere €200 a week now and can't pay for that holiday or second car any more. I have heard of kids here going without playstations, sure such deprivation is just like the Penal Laws.

Anyone who thinks our problems now are comparable with our problems in the past should go dance a jig on the graves of the likes of Robert Emmett.
It is not about the levels of poverty, but more about the level of corruption and sense of entitlement at the top.

The British Monarchy and The FF Monarchy if you like.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
It is not about the levels of poverty, but more about the level of corruption and sense of entitlement at the top.
If that is correct then you will accept that the topic title is complete rubbish. The OP suggested that we are currently suffering the same fate as our forefathers did for 800 years. I think that sort of hyperbole is to in effect have a laugh at what people in this country really went through.

As for corruption and sense of entitlement, I am not sure the British Monarchy and FF can really be compared. There may be many things one can say about FF, but to suggest that a party elected by huge swathes of the people in election after election is one and the same as leadership based on inheritance is fairly tenuous.

Disillusioned democrat

The British Monarchy and The FF Monarchy if you like.
That's not as far fetched as it sounds - particularly when you consider the number of 2nd and 3rd generation FF TDs there actually are. FF seem to believe that a seat is sometime you can pass on to the next generation.

MPB

If that is correct then you will accept that the topic title is complete rubbish. The OP suggested that we are currently suffering the same fate as our forefathers did for 800 years. I think that sort of hyperbole is to in effect have a laugh at what people in this country really went through.

As for corruption and sense of entitlement, I am not sure the British Monarchy and FF can really be compared. There may be many things one can say about FF, but to suggest that a party elected by huge swathes of the people in election after election is one and the same as leadership based on inheritance is fairly tenuous.
Politics in this country is a family business.

Party nominations and in that way Dail seats, are transferred from one generation of a family to another.

When a position of such importance as that of a member of parliament is inherited, it is indeed an elite society, very much in the mould of a Monarchy.

Disillusioned democrat

, but to suggest that a party elected by huge swathes of the people in election after election is one and the same as leadership based on inheritance is fairly tenuous.
Huge swathes of the people....43% at the last election, but they just buy their way back to power by doing secret deals with gombeens like JHR and Lowry.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
FF seem to believe that a seat is sometime you can pass on to the next generation.
Sort of like Dick Spring's nephew ex-Anglo employee Arthur J. running?

Again, the suggestion that somehow this is unique to FF and because of this the party is like the British Monarchy is sheer nonsense. Anyone here ever hear of the Brutons? The Coveneys? For one point each tell me the party they were and are with. Is it FF by any chance? Anyone? Anyone?

eoghanacht

We'll leave that to the FF gimps like yourself, you've done such a fine job of making a mockery of what Emmett and others aspired too.

eoghanacht

Sort of like Dick Spring's nephew ex-Anglo employee Arthur J. running?

Again, the suggestion that somehow this is unique to FF and because of this the party is like the British Monarchy is sheer nonsense. Anyone here ever hear of the Brutons? The Coveneys? For one point each tell me the party they were and are with. Is it FF by any chance? Anyone? Anyone?

Ah so nepotism is ok by you because 'they are doing it too'. What lofty heights you aspire to.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies