FF County Limerick Convention 11th Nov 2010

Tea Party Patriot

Just wondering if this is worth attending. I have heard that the two sitting TDs John Cregan and Nial Collins will be returned unopposed and that there will be no 3rd candidate selected.

Can anyone shed further light on this?

toner1983

What was the outcome of the FF, Lab and FG selection conventions for the County. Have these all been held now?

williewatch

Just wondering if this is worth attending. I have heard that the two sitting TDs John Cregan and Nial Collins will be returned unopposed and that there will be no 3rd candidate selected.

Can anyone shed further light on this?
Its a sad state of affairs that Irish voters keep voting in these hereditary TDs like Nial Collins. For some families its akin to the British House of Lords without the robes. Kind of like an intergenerational cash dispensing machine. :)

And to my nephew Nial Collins I leave my seat in the Dail

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Its a sad state of affairs that Irish voters keep voting in these hereditary TDs like Nial Collins. For some families its akin to the British House of Lords without the robes. Kind of like an intergenerational cash dispensing machine. :)

And to my nephew Nial Collins I leave my seat in the Dail
I agree but every party is at it. How long before Barbie Ferris replaces her daddy?

Collins should hold his seat here and FG hold theirs, the third is up for grabs with FG slight favourites.

williewatch

I agree but every party is at it. How long before Barbie Ferris replaces her daddy?

Collins should hold his seat here and FG hold theirs, the third is up for grabs with FG slight favourites.
It doesn't matter who is at it.

Voters need to tell all these Irish political dynasties to f*** off.

People fought long & hard to free our country from royalty and the last thing that we need to do is create our own royal class.

Pauli

It is great that Cregan is running again. One of the most exciting speakers in the Dail, the insights, vision and forward-thinking dynamic he brings to almost any issue he speak on impresses me time and time again.

Pauli

"Every party is at it" "They are all the same""Sure there is no difference between them" All sentences from the mouths of disingenuous FFers usually. Nobody only FFers spout this tosh coupled with some token whataboutery.

kodak

Let's hope their tax affairs are in order, not always the case in the county.

Keith-M

Website
"Every party is at it" "They are all the same""Sure there is no difference between them" All sentences from the mouths of disingenuous FFers usually. Nobody only FFers spout this tosh coupled with some token whataboutery.
OK let's look at the region shall we?
ASs well as Niall Collins of FF (uncle a TD) we have FG's Dan Neville (father a TD). Standing in the adjacent Kerry North - Limerick West we have Arthur Spring (uncle a TD) and it's widely reported that SF's Martin Ferris's daughter will stand at the next but one election. In Limerick East we have Kieran O'Donnell of FG (uncle a TD) and Joe Leddin of Labour (uncle and father were both councillors as I recall). so yes I think it's very fair that they're all the same.

So before you go on a personal rant, it might be an idea to check your facts.

williewatch

Let's hope their tax affairs are in order, not always the case in the county.
LOL. The uncle from whome Nial Collins inherited the Dail seat.

Former FF TD Michael Collins convicted of fraud

Friday September 28 2007
A former Fianna Fail TD has been found guilty of fraud at Limerick Circuit Court.

Michael Collins had denied the charge of obtaining a tax clearance certificate under false pretences in May 2002.

The State alleged that Mr Collins had outstanding tax liabilities from a bogus non-resident account at the time.

Following a three day trial, it took the jury of seven men and five women 40 minutes to return a unanimous verdict of guilty. The 66-year-old will be sentenced later this afternoon and faces a maximum jail term of two years.

Former FF TD Michael Collins convicted of fraud - National News, Breaking News - Independent.ie

Some background to the Collins heredity Dail seat before it was eventually inherited by Nial Collins after his uncle Michael's tax difficulties.

Michael Collins won his seat in 1997 to retain the family presence in Dáil Éireann. The seat had been held by his brother, the MEP and former Government Minister, Gerard Collins, for 30 years. His father, James Collins, held it between 1948 and 1967.

williewatch

ASs well as Niall Collins of FF (uncle a TD) we have FG's Dan Neville (father a TD). Standing in the adjacent Kerry North - Limerick West we have Arthur Spring (uncle a TD) and it's widely reported that SF's Martin Ferris's daughter will stand at the next but one election. In Limerick East we have Kieran O'Donnell of FG (uncle a TD) and Joe Leddin of Labour (uncle and father were both councillors as I recall). so yes I think it's very fair that they're all the same.

LOL Would you ever cop on. You cannot accuse somebody of something on the basis of what it is reported might happen at the election after this. Just stop & think about it for a minute.

If Ferris's daughter gets a nomination you can add her to the list. Until then there is no case to answer. Little bit of a slight of hand from you there Keith, you naughty boy.

And as I said previously, its high time all these hereditary politicians were show the door irrespectively of what party colours they are wearing.

Last edited:

Keith-M

Website
LOL Would you ever cop on. You cannot accuse somebody of something on the basis of what it is reported they might do at the election after this.

If Ferris's daughter gets a nomination you can add her to the list. Until then there is no case to answer. But perhaps that doesn't suit you?
SF only have a TD in the region since 2002, so they haven't any previous generation to hand down the seat to. I don't know of anyone who believes that Ferris will not try and pass on his seat to his daughter, so it's a valid point. If there was another equally obviously candidate in KN-LW, you might have a point, but the only other councillor they have is Beasley in Listowel and I know of no one who thinks he'll run in a General Election.

Keith-M

Website
Michael Collins won his seat in 1997 to retain the family presence in Dáil Éireann. The seat had been held by his brother, the MEP and former Government Minister, Gerard Collins, for 30 years. His father, James Collins, held it between 1948 and 1967.
And Martin Ferris was running guns and explosives which killed countless people on this island "People in glass houses" etc...

williewatch

SF only have a TD in the region since 2002, so they haven't any previous generation to hand down the seat to. I don't know of anyone who believes that Ferris will not try and pass on his seat to his daughter, so it's a valid point. If there was another equally obviously candidate in KN-LW, you might have a point, but the only other councillor they have is Beasley in Listowel and I know of no one who thinks he'll run in a General Election.

"I don't know anybody who believes" is not a valid argument.

Keith-M

Website
"I don't know anybody who believes" is not a valid argument.

Give me an alternative name and you might have a point. As I said the current version of SF are relative newcomers to political representation in this country, so they haven't a previous generation to play "hand me down".

Pauli

Personal rant? It is usually FFers who use this bollox of a tactic. Suffice to say that the three most senior politicians in government, the Taoiseach, the Tanaiste and the Minister for Finance are ALL dynastic politicians, the seat passed down intergenerationally in the finest FF tradition. It happens in other parties also BUT NOT TO THE EXTENT AS IT DOES IN FIANNA FAIL.

It is a bit like planning corruption. Some in FG were at it but it was and doubtless remains a leitmotif of FF and part of the DNA of the Fianna Fail party.

williewatch

And Martin Ferris was running guns and explosives which killed countless people on this island "People in glass houses" etc...
WTF

Are you in some kind of argument with Martin Ferris now?

I didn't see him make any accusations against anybody here?

If this is your response to me point out that you have been dishonest in your attempt to drag himself & his daughter into this debate, well, Bizzare is what I would call it.

williewatch

Give me an alternative name and you might have a point. As I said the current version of SF are relative newcomers to political representation in this country, so they haven't a previous generation to play "hand me down".
Oh, I see. They haven't done so in the past but you are now having a go at them for what they might possibly do at some time in the future in the election after next :p

LOL. I'm assuming from all of this that you spend a lot of time watching the Terminator movie, you know, the one where the guy travels back into the past to alter the future etc.

Sean-Bhean bhoct

Oh, I see. They haven't done so in the past but you are now having a go at them for what they might possibly do at some time in the future in the election after next :p

LOL
In fairness, she did get the nod to run in the European Elections for SF last year, so she is undoubtedly the favourite. Would she have been in such a position if her father wasn't the only sitting SF TD in Munster? Highly unlikely.

Pauli

WTF

Are you in some kind of argument with Martin Ferris now?

I didn't see him make any accusations against anybody here?

If this is your response to me point out that you have been dishonest in your attempt to drag himself & his daughter into this debate, well, Bizzare is what I would call it.
An FFer, when cornered, will always drag something irrelevant into the debate to muddy the waters. It goes without saying that any FFer will be dishonest in the course of any political discussion, regardless of how short it may be. They are the sediment of the nations gene-pool

New Threads

Most Replies