• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

FF Galway Race tent dropped

spalpeen

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0522/fiannafail.html
Thursday, 22 May 2008 22:22

"Fianna Fáil's controversial fund raising tent, at the annual Galway Race festival will not be proceeding this year.

At a meeting of the party's National Executive tonight, the Taoiseach Brian Cowen said that he has asked the Fianna Fáil General Secretary to undertake a wide ranging review of the membership, recruitment and organisation of the party.

Fund raising would also come under scrutiny and accordingly the Galway tent, which has attracted huge attention over the last 15 years would not go ahead."

So where to now for the fundraising drives? ;)
have to say I commend the decision makers behind this as it had become a national joke.
Pity this decision was not made ten years ago...

The Earl of Desmond

So the boys in FF have found another loop hole they can sue cos you can be as sure as anything that FF is not losing out by not having the tent. Now they'll just hand over the brown envelopes somewhere else. The tent isn't the problem it's the mentality.

Sligoboy

spalpeen said:
http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0522/fiannafail.html
Thursday, 22 May 2008 22:22

"Fianna Fáil's controversial fund raising tent, at the annual Galway Race festival will not be proceeding this year.

At a meeting of the party's National Executive tonight, the Taoiseach Brian Cowen said that he has asked the Fianna Fáil General Secretary to undertake a wide ranging review of the membership, recruitment and organisation of the party.

Fund raising would also come under scrutiny and accordingly the Galway tent, which has attracted huge attention over the last 15 years would not go ahead."

So where to now for the fundraising drives? ;)
have to say I commend the decision makers behind this as it had become a national joke.
Pity this decision was not made ten years ago...

The Galway tent this year would in any event be a pointless exercise, nobody would turn up. ;)

Anorakphobia

Great move by Cowen.
Sends a real strong message (at least at a superficial level) that there is a new sheriff in town and he's not up for sale.

Anyway, not sure I could stomach another Mary Coughlan glamour shot posing for the cameras enterng the tent in gear you wouldn't see at a pikey wedding.

On more serious note, it's ending probably as good a milestone (tombstone?) as any for the wretched Tiger and its hideous excesses.

just_society

Good move from Cowen. Fire a few more ministers and we'll start to see a new beginning for FF.

Doubt the gig would be busy this year anyway, if capital gains tax receipts were anything to go by. Maybe the builders are still sore at him for not cutting stamp duty 'in time'!

loner

Presume its because of the slump in the building industry and the developers would be too poor to pay

returning officer

Anorakphobia said:
Great move by Cowen.
Sends a real strong message (at least at a superficial level) that there is a new sheriff in town and he's not up for sale.
Glory Glory Hallelujah.
Regime change is in place. This has been a stick to beat FF with for years, its damage was wholly disproportionate to is financial benefit. It was also - contrary to media mystic - the most broing part of the Galway races.

With the exception of not getting rid of a few junior ministers and his threat to "silence the opposition (if they continued to interupt him 44 times)" - he hasn't put a foot wrong (calling a quango fcukers was quirky but does no harm).

White Horse

This has more to do with the downturn in the construction industry caused by Cowan's dithering over stamp duty. I doubt many property developers want to spend money to share chicken and chips with the man who ruined their business.

johnfás

Anorakphobia said:
Great move by Cowen.
I thought Fianna Fáil were fine, and would not be moralised by anyone... that's what he said last year anyway :p

Eddiepops

Eh, well it looks like I'll be the first to welcome the move so. We give out to them for the things they do, and when they propose they stop doing them, we give out to them some more? Doesn't sound too logical. This is a welcome move.

johnfás

Eddiepops said:
Eh, well it looks like I'll be the first to welcome the move so. We give out to them for the things they do, and when they propose they stop doing them, we give out to them some more? Doesn't sound too logical. This is a welcome move.
It is a welcome move from a PR point of view. However, the real issue is the corporate donations which occur inside the tent and what is done by the party in return for them. Getting rid of the tent doesn't particularly help in lowering the level of corporate donations, it is just a good headline grabber. I'll welcome the move when he bans corporate donations.

gentleben

White Horse said:
This has more to do with the downturn in the construction industry caused by Cowan's dithering over stamp duty. I doubt many property developers want to spend money to share chicken and chips with the man who ruined their business.
The slowdown in the construction industry has nothing to do with stamp duty. Its what happens when you turn the provision of housing into a national pyrimad scheme. Wise up.

droghedasouth

Mammy O'Rourke on Pat Kenny just a minute ago talking about a more "structured" approach to fund raising.

Amahzing that she never thought it necessary under de Bert's reign.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies