• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

FF hit tax payer for almost €500K for Moriarity Tribunal cost

automaticforthepeople

Despite the adverse findings against many FF councillors in the Moriarity Tribunal it seems the legal team handling the matter for FF have been paid almost €500k on Christmas Eve. Given the impact of cuts to the diabled and the forceful manner in which FF attacked the govt is taken as a given that the party will return the money to the state and ask that it would be spent on the disabled?

FF gets €495,000 for Moriarty tribunal - The Irish Times - Mon, Mar 04, 2013

FakeViking

Can't wait for the reaction when we're told that all of Ahern's legal costs will be paid for by Sean P. Citizen. I'm no lawyer, but if Liam Lawlor's widow got her costs, I can't see how the misLeader won't.

Astral Peaks

Can't wait for the reaction when we're told that all of Ahern's legal costs will be paid for by Sean P. Citizen. I'm no lawyer, but if Liam Lawlor's widow got her costs, I can't see how the misLeader won't.
EVERYONE will get their costs.

And still we voted No on the Oireachtas Investigations referendum.

Ryan Tubbs

In fairness to Fianna Fáil, as in the political party itself as a corporate entity, they didn't attempt to disrupt, impede, hinder or mislead the Tribunal in the way that others did, so were probably far moire deserving of costs than other parties who were represented.

This is a total contrast with Bertie Ahern, who committed perjury on a massive scale, launched many legal battles against the Mahon tribunal, and conspired widely with other witnesses in order to get their story "straight" in a deliberate attempt to impede its investigations.

Ryan Tubbs

I wonder is it a co-incidence that the referendum turned because of the efforts of the former Attorneys General, many of whom now extract enormous sums from their work at the courts including tribunals?

Irish voters are a stupid, stupid group of people.

olamp

Did I read that Denis O Brien and Lowrys costs will also be paid ? Surely not ,in view of the damning findings against them by Judge Moriarty?

borntorum

The eFFing traitors - the party that just keeps on taking.
Why shouldn't FF get its costs?

Do you think that everybody who appeared before the Moriarty Tribunal should be forced to pay their own legal costs?

borntorum

Did I read that Denis O Brien and Lowrys costs will also be paid ? Surely not ,in view of the damning findings against them by Judge Moriarty?
I don't know if they will.

But IIRC the issue of costs was not related to the ultimate findings, as the tribunal was merely a fact finding operation, rather than a court as such. As long as the tribunal was satisfied that a party before it cooperated, that party is entitled to its costs (I think).

Con Gallagher

kkkkkkkkkk

how much money went to the legal leeches

bet the legal leeches got their pound of flesh

Last edited:

FakeViking

I don't know if they will.

But IIRC the issue of costs was not related to the ultimate findings, as the tribunal was merely a fact finding operation, rather than a court as such. As long as the tribunal was satisfied that a party before it cooperated, that party is entitled to its costs (I think).
Do you think that Liam Lawlor cooperated with the Tribunal?

borntorum

Thanks Christ.

I'd rather the Oireachtas set up ten new tribunals every year, than have a citizen's constitutional rights decided upon by the likes of Mattie McGrath, Michael Lowry, Martin Ferris, Ming Flanagan, Mick Wallace...

borntorum

Do you think that Liam Lawlor cooperated with the Tribunal?
Dunno, wouldn't have thought so, but that's a matter for the tribunal.

Whether the tribunal decides correctly if a particular party has cooperated or not is a different question as to whether parties should be forced to pay their own costs, though.

Ryan Tubbs

Thanks Christ.

I'd rather the Oireachtas set up ten new tribunals every year, than have a citizen's constitutional rights decided upon by the likes of Mattie McGrath, Michael Lowry, Martin Ferris, Ming Flanagan, Mick Wallace...
Eh, but these people would have been elected by voters. And if voters didn't want these yokels deciding their rights, they would surely elect better TDs?

Couldn't this proposal have forced people to look more carefully at who they vote for?

borntorum

Eh, but these people would have been elected by voters. And if voters didn't want these yokels deciding their rights, they would surely elect better TDs?

Couldn't this proposal have forced people to look more carefully at who they vote for?
The people vote for TDs to make legislation. They don't vote for them to decide whether someone appearing before a committee is entitled to invoke his constitutional rights.

automaticforthepeople

Why shouldn't FF get its costs?

Do you think that everybody who appeared before the Moriarty Tribunal should be forced to pay their own legal costs?
If someone either delayed the tribunal reaching its conclusions or they were responsible for the tribunal being needed I imagibne there is a case for them to take something called responsibility. The party never had any governance procedures in place and allowed Ahern and the councillors in North Dublin free rein. The Dermot Ahern (up every tree in Nth dublin) inquiry was all about obfuscation not clarity.
Why should the tax payer shoulder this nosnsense of Aherns?

borntorum

If someone either delayed the tribunal reaching its conclusions or they were responsible for the tribunal being needed I imagibne there is a case for them to take something called responsibility. The party never had any governance procedures in place and allowed Ahern and the councillors in North Dublin free rein. The Dermot Ahern (up every tree in Nth dublin) inquiry was all about obfuscation not clarity.
Why should the tax payer shoulder this nosnsense of Aherns?
Firstly, we're talking about the Moriarty Tribunal here, so if any political party was responsible for the circumstances leading to it being set up, it is surely FG, not FF.

Secondly, the tribunal was set up by the Dail to be a fact finding operation. It was not a court, it could not punish people or impose sanctions (other than a costs order). We can argue now that this was an inefficient way to go about things (it was), but that was what we got.

Ryan Tubbs

The people vote for TDs to make legislation. They don't vote for them to decide whether someone appearing before a committee is entitled to invoke his constitutional rights.
So unelected, unaccountable judges and lawyers should do this?

Well that's marvellous.