• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

FF lashes out at RTE over news report on Cowen painting prank

myk

The Taoiseach's office lodged a complaint with RTE last night over a news report of prank paintings of Brian Cowen being hung in Dublin art gallaries. FF TD Michael Kennedy went one further and called for the RTE Director General to resign over the issue.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQsR09ER4Yk"]YouTube - Brian Cowen Nude[/ame]

Fianna Fáil TD Michael Kennedy last night called on RTÉ director general Cathal Goan to consider his position. The report “represented a gross insult to the position of An Taoiseach, not to mention a personal affront to the dignity of the man himself”, Mr Kennedy said in a statement.

The item “was obviously seen as a piece of entertainment – biased and partisan entertainment”, and raised “serious questions about the agenda at play in the RTÉ newsroom”, he added.
RTÉ apologises for news item on Cowen nude portraits - The Irish Times - Wed, Mar 25, 2009

As RTE isn't broadcast where I live, I didn't see the report. What was it like?

Are FF so worried that these pranks will damage the reputation of the Taoiseach. It would seem to me that these paintings may be more effective satire than many of our current Scrap Saturday wannabes; the Emergency or Nob Nation.

Of course it should noted that RTE quickly bent to FF pressure and withdrew the news report and issued an apology.

Last edited by a moderator:

Limerick Lad

The fact that someone was able to hang an unauthorised painting irrespective of the subject in The National Gallery of Ireland without immediately being discovered is news and RTE were perfectly correct to report it.
This could just as easily have been an attack on one the valuable paintings housed there and shows an unbelievable laxity in security at the National Gallery.

LDF

It's amazing what these FF TD's and our current Taoiseach find offensive. The removal of the cervical cancer vaccine is not offensive, the pathological lies of Ahern were not offensive, the fact that Cowen was asleep at the wheel for four years as Minister for Finance was not offensive.

The longer FF remain in power the more alike an African dictatorship they become. You can banjax the country but don't insult the dear leader. It won't be long before Dobbo is reading the news in military uniform and the top news story on RTE is how svelte and healthy looking the dear leader is.

The sooner we get rid of this shower of ba$tards the better.

Reactions: He3
Ok so the report one could say was more than slightly tongue in cheek... but balance that with all the smoozy coverage FF have received from RTE over the years... their complaints about the report are pathetic to say the least. I actually thought the same report was a good one and hillarious..

RTE is stuffed full of FF lovies.

He3

FF has many like-minded allies internationally in its valiant struggle to uphold standards on TV.

TV network boss arrested after broadcast of 'salacious images'

25/03/2009

The manager of an Afghan television network who refused to censor images of women dancing in short skirts has been arrested.

Afghan Deputy Attorney General Fazel Ahmad Faqiyar said Emrose TV's Fahim Khodamani was detained for airing overly salacious content.

Khodamani was arrested on Monday for refusing repeated requests to obscure images of women dancing in short skirts or outfits with low necklines.

The Taliban, which practices an extreme version of Islam, banned television and other forms of entertainment that it deemed un-Islamic when it ruled the country in the 1990s.

It also required women to cover themselves under an all-encompassing burqa.

Irish Examiner | TV network boss arrested after broadcast of 'salacious images'

Digout

It was a light hearted piece at the end of the news programme, happens in most normal countries. This is a banana republic and its getting worse by the day. If I did not run my own business here I would be gone ages ago.

Dillinger

There was an inscription on the bottom:

'He served the people, all of the people, 'to the best of his ability.'

revereie

Thought it was a good piece and newsworthy myself. I can understand why he's peeved - but thems the breaks.

jpc

FF TD Michael Kennedys contribution had to be the most precious,petulant, pompous piece of showboating on the national airwaves in a while.
Just adding fuel to the fire muppet.
But his overt threat to RTE and its editorial independence needs to be dealt with.
What is the political affiliation breakdown of the RTE authority?

Victor Meldrew

FF TD Michael Kennedys contribution had to be the most precious,petulant, pompous piece of showboating on the national airwaves in a while.
Just adding fuel to the fire muppet.
But his overt threat to RTE and its editorial independence needs to be dealt with.
What is the political affiliation breakdown of the RTE authority?

RTÉ have no objectivity. they are not allowed and so many of them have "gone native" with respect to FF that they hardly mind.

This is the third time I've seen RTÉ have to cower to their masters. Newstalk's Claire and Ger ripped into them over this, they replayed the piece and said that it represented a serious attack on the freedom of journalists in Ireland and that it would make Biffo look like an even bigger fool than the paintings could ever have hoped...

We are clearly being "ruled" by an incompetent, paranoid oaf who has surrounded himself with fawning, talentless cronies . Sorry, but that's how it is...

The "Emergency" had Enda describing Cowen meeting Obama as "Shreik meets Denzil Washington". I wish we had a Taoiseach with Shreik's introspection and good humour.....

He3

This is Ireland's Danish Cartoon of the Prophet event.

Do we bend the knee?

Have we come to this, where Taoiseach and Godhead are One:

Our Taoiseach,
who art in Dail Eireann,
what on Earth's thy game?
Thy taxes come,
our economy's done,
from Cork to Sligo to Dublin.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our mortgages,
as you forgave banks who trespassed against us.
Lead us not into depression,
but deliver us from bankruptcy.
Amen.

kerrynorth

Michael Kennedy is on Radio Kerry at the moment about this.

LDF

On another note, does anyone know what hobbies Bertie Ahern has taken up since he was booted out? Painting, perhaps? He always struck me as the creative type.

kvof

This is the most daring thing RTE has done for a very long time.
They are so afraid of the government threat of cuts that they are acting as the ministry of propaganda regarding news.

Their journalists let politicians away unchallenged in interviews (except Sean O'Rourke, Miriam O'C and John Bowman) but meanwhile abuse and insult representatives of ngos and unions. They are loyally obeying government orders in the continuing smear of all things in the public sector.

For any sort of real comment, you have to tune to Newstalk's Eamon Keane and George Hook or VB on TV3.

Bring back Halls Pictorial Weekly and Scrap Saturday. Remember Richie Ruin and the minister of hardship ! Three cheers for political satire - we need to laugh a bit, even if it's not funny.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies