FF led Oireachtas Committee reject Ombudsmans findings.Slap in face for O Reilly?

yehbut_nobut

think this is worthy of it's own thread:

The Oireachtas Agriculture Committee has voted to reject the findings of the Ombudsman investigation into the controversial Lost at Sea scheme... The recommendation was rejected by a margin of for nine votes to six.
All the Fianna Fáil members of the Committee, including Eamonn Scanlon and Mattie McGrath, who are outside the parliamentary party at present, voted against it.
Oireachtas rejects Lost at Sea findings - RT News

A Labour rep has call it "an attack on the office of the Ombudsman."

Will this go further? It can only be seen a huge insult to Emily O'Reilly's work - will she resign as Ombudsman? Could this be one of those things that brings down a government?

culmore

she has no option but to resign, FF in complete control of everything in this country

yehbut_nobut

she has no option but to resign, FF in complete control of everything in this country

It does seem like it - "fupp right or wrong, we're in charge".

Sync

The entire process seems ridiculously framed. When a report is examined by a company they don't break off into their little factions and then announce the results by a block. If you sit on the board you should be able to divest yourself from your party politics and examine the evidence independently. By handling it like this on both sides and speaking about "what your party thinks" and voting accordingly renders the entire thing pointless.

Ms O'Reilly should resign and FG/Lab should scramble to sign her up. She's exactly what the Dail needs.

Broke

think this is worthy of it's own thread:

Oireachtas rejects Lost at Sea findings - RT News

A Labour rep has call it "an attack on the office of the Ombudsman."

Will this go further? It can only be seen a huge insult to Emily O'Reilly's work - will she resign as Ombudsman? Could this be one of those things that brings down a government?
FF like to set up quangos,but they never listen to them when it suits them.

Panopticon

We really, really need more independence of the legislature from the executive. FG and Labour are going to behave almost as badly when they are in power (I don't believe they have ever behaved as badly as Fianna Fáil).

TommyO'Brien

We really, really need more independence of the legislature from the executive. FG and Labour are going to behave almost as badly when they are in power (I don't believe they have ever behaved as badly as Fianna Fáil).
Fine Gael is committed to ensure greater legislative independence from executive control in its 'New Politics' document endorsed by the party.

http://www.finegael.org/upload/NewPolitics.pdf

B

boo-boo

Ombudsman

I have to disagree, I feel Ms. O'Reilly should stay exactly where she is!

If she resign's, some crony with FF allegiances will be appointed to be a yes sir no sir person. Particularly in this current environment, we need an Ombudsman who people will feel will independently investigate any complaint that is received in her office. And rest assure there is only going to be an increase in complaints against public bodies involving cases of possible shortcomings in services or poor standards of public administration.

More importantly, we need an Ombudsman who in her analysis of public services, policy and practice is not actually afraid to draw conclusions...and yes, the Men in White Suit Officials generally dont like Ombudsman decisions that will end up costing the Government money....they'll do the usual huffing and puffing....they'll come up with umpteen reasons to try to explain their stance....and tbh you'd be surprised with half the stuff that's going on and what some of these Official's try to pan off to explain their stance or reasoning...

We need an ombudsman who is prepared to and will stand-up for the ordinary person....

I often do think that the Ombudsman should have a quasi-judicial remit....with strict power's of enforcement....

Last edited:

Panopticon

Fine Gael is committed to ensure greater legislative independence from executive control in its 'New Politics' document endorsed by the party.

http://www.finegael.org/upload/NewPolitics.pdf
Neat. I never actually read that document. I think the reducing of TD numbers will not help increase independence of legislature or quality of ministers. But I think the other ideas sound good, on the assumption that the Oireachtas is always going to comprise mediocre people on average, because it strengthens other, better civic institutions.

GDPR

If she resign's, some crony with FF allegiances will be appointed to be a yes sir no sir person.
Damn right. If FF had been in power when she started, she would never have been appointed to that job in the first place.

MPB

If she resign's, some crony with FF allegiances will be appointed to be a yes sir no sir person. Particularly in this current environment, we need an Ombudsman who people will feel will independently investigate any complaint that is received in her office. And rest assure there is only going to be an increase in complaints against public bodies involving cases of possible shortcomings in services or poor standards of public administration.

More importantly, we need an Ombudsman who in her analysis of public services, policy and practice is not actually afraid to draw conclusions...and yes, the Men in White Suit Officials generally dont like Ombudsman decisions that will end up costing the Government money....they'll do the usual huffing and puffing....they'll come up with umpteen reasons to try to explain their stance....and tbh you'd be surprised with half the stuff that's going on and what some of these Official's try to pan off to explain their stance or reasoning...

We need an ombudsman who is prepared to and will stand-up for the ordinary person....

I often do think that the Ombudsman should have a quasi-judicial remit....with strict power's of enforcement....
Agreed. These idiots will be gone shortly and the whole issue can be revisited.

Next time stack the vote in the other direction and start playing these corrupt gets at their own game.

It is important that the bould Emily remains in situ. She is one of our few bright lights within the system.

GDPR

Agreed. These idiots will be gone shortly and the whole issue can be revisited.

Next time stack the vote in the other direction and start playing these corrupt gets at their own game.

It is important that the bould Emily remains in situ. She is one of our few bright lights within the system.
Heard it all before, last time out. Michael Lowry it was, going to sort out "golden circles" and all sorts. That went well.

yehbut_nobut

I wonder how this will play out. The (almost unheard of) decison to overrule the ombudsman is a serious Kick in the teeth for the families Frank Fahey did over in order to pay (public) cash to his mates.

Something else vaguely interesting - not many people seem to notice the who's online feature on this site. It shows what everyone is doing, what thread they're currently viewing/posting on or whatever.

Right after posting this thread , I seemed to notice a small flurry of activity - it was being viewed (but not cemmented on) by the known FF posters on here. It almost felt like like a co-ordinated response was being prepared. ;)

Kind of disappointed now. Will the official FF response be to ignore the issue and hope it goes away?

MPB

I believe Michael Lowry through his refrigeration company was found to have received favours from Ben Dunne while a TD.

I believe this led to his expulsion from FG and his sacking as a Minister and also to the investigation of his decisions, while a Minister.

Am I correct?

GDPR

I believe Michael Lowry through his refrigeration company was found to have received favours from Ben Dunne while a TD.

I believe this led to his expulsion from FG and his sacking as a Minister and also to the investigation of his decisions, while a Minister.

Am I correct?
No, I wouldn't say you are.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
<Mod>
Posters should never, on thread, discuss or assert if another poster's post is legally problematic

Such posts should be reported

On thread discussions about legally problematic posts may lead to sanctions for any/all concerned posters
</Mod>

Last edited:

New Threads

Most Replies