FF Parliamentary party debates boycott of RTE's Front Line programme

neutral_lurker

Looks like RTE is getting the same treatment as that teachers union who didn't sign up to Croke Park.

RTE's €55m for pensioner TV licences under threat in Budget - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

The issue of the licence fee was also brought up on numerous occasions at the party meeting, with calls for it to be slashed in December's Budget.

Junior Minister Dick Roche last night described the €55m as "inappropriate" and said no money was given by the State to print media or independent broadcasters.

Mr Roche said it was a "misnomer" to call the licence given to pensioners and other social welfare recipients free.

"That €55m, there or thereabouts, is a subsidy paid from the Department of Social Welfare," he said.

Taxpayer

"That money is paid by taxpayers to RTE. At a time when every other area is being looked at, it is inappropriate. In the current context, it has to be looked at."

Mr Roche said the Broadcasting Act could be changed so people whose licence was paid for by the State would still get it, but no subsidy would be given to RTE for it.

He was also critical of the "relentless negativity" of certain RTE programmes

Skrynesaver

Wife was flicking through the 15 channels at 10.30 tonight. She turns to me and says, " Oggy, 4 channels have politics on right now, do you ever get fed up with it ? "
She must have been reading my mind. I am fed up with Frontline and more than ever fed up with Browne. I do not care about pro or anti FF slant on whatever media outlet as I have become immune to FF bashing. Point I am making is, if a political junkie is fed up listening, watching and reading the same stuff hour after hour and day after day what must those with no interest in politics feel
Oggy as I always suspected, the die-hard FF gobdaw has no interest in politics, it's just a team sport to the likes of you and like Man-U fans you walk away when your side isn't winning.

Given this, it's just possible that a large proportion of the 24% won't bother coming out to vote next time out as their hearts won't be in it.

dent

So **** Roche is the new Ray Burke, in attempting to bribe RTE ?

If FFers become choosy about which RTE programme they go on, Tubridy and Finucane are going to be worked to the bone !!!

PUFF DADDY

So **** Roche is the new Ray Burke, in attempting to bribe RTE ?

If FFers become choosy about which RTE programme they go on, Tubridy and Finucane are going to be worked to the bone !!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Add M.Wilson to that too me thinks

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom