FF polling third place behind Lab. A time to reflect?

G

Gimpanzee

If you lose support quickly, you can regain it quickly.

If FF were on 22% after drifting slowly from 42% over a period of 20 years, then you could say they are in LT trouble.

The fact of the matter is that if FG/Lab made a ********************e of things after 2012, and both of them were caught in bed with a dead sheep (she was alive when she entered the apartment), FF would get an overall majority in 2017.

People get far too excited altogether about things. Short term, this is bad for 40 FF TD's.

Long term, this is a fluctuation.
Spot on - Labour don't have the people around the country to be able to grow quickly and FF retain too many foot soldiers to fall away.

setanta

My prediction - GE before 2012
FG/L government
FF will have time to address it's internal issues and take a breather after so long in power.
Economic situation will not change under new government. Return to normal or as normal as it's going to get gradually over the next 2.5 yrs with FF retaking power in subsequent GE after FG/L making an almighty mess of things themselves.
I'm sorry, but this really sounds like *crosses fingers and wishes really hard*

It's a measure of the self-delusion present in FF that, in the face of the overwhelmng evidence that FF have failed and are now paying for it, there still exists this belief in the almost mystical quality of FF amongst its supporters.

Dare to Dream

I'm sorry, but this really sounds like *crosses fingers and wishes really hard*

It's a measure of the self-delusion present in FF that, in the face of the overwhelmng evidence that FF have failed and are now paying for it, there still exists this belief in the almost mystical quality of FF amongst its supporters.
Please explain to me how I am being delusional by believing FF will loose power? Perhaps I need more coffee (shame gucci doesn't make any) before I respond further.

FG will benefit more than this poll indicates because Fine Gael's organisation covers the whole country whereas Labour is patchy.

People on here are forgeting to factor in this.

jc_ie

My comment wasn't intended in any way as an endorsement of Flynn; it was simply the observation that she has the natural qualities- which are in themselves neither morally good nor bad- of a leader. Also that the "corrupt" practices she was guilty of were standard unofficial policy at the time. And listening to the likes of Kevin Myers screech self-righteously at her from his column was a little difficult to take.
Actually i was just refering to her attitude a few weeks back about the indepedant allowance thing came out.
She wouldnt speak to any of the national media only the local stations.

Hardly the abilities of a good leader.

dmc444

Im an FF member.

I do believe this poll is bad but it is a recession and i dont know of any governning party that is popular at the current time.

Im not in panic mode at all because polls move up and down. Look at Britain September- Labour 26% and by early October they were at 35%. The only way the party will loose is if we start becoming defeatest ourselves.

Greener

Im an FF member.

I do believe this poll is bad but it is a recession and i dont know of any governning party that is popular at the current time.

Im not in panic mode at all because polls move up and down. Look at Britain September- Labour 26% and by early October they were at 35%. The only way the party will loose is if we start becoming defeatest ourselves.

And a potential cecession on transport on Feb 28th, impending public sservice
strikes (teachers, civil servants), education cuts, more job losses in the computers sector (amongst others), and a widespread concensus of lacking leadership will contribute to redressing 9 points before the locals and europeans ?

dotski_w_

Website
irishpollingreport.wordpress.com
Government parties all across Europe are suffering a similar fate.
Baldur, now you're possibly one of the smartest FF posters here, but there are feck all parties looking at barely half their vote in the previous election.

The big fear for them is what might happen *as a result* of the last poll. In every country, the 2 largest parties always get additional consideration from voters than the other parties, on the grounds that a govt will be headed by one or th'other of them. Following the '92 election, where LP came 3rd but were spitting distance of 2nd, they immediately jumped to 28-30%, as ppl who wouldn't vote for them if they only had a chance as bit players suddenly switched allegience to the party they were closr to politically.

If this poll tips their posn in the public consciousness, they might be looking at bigger gains again in the next one. And that's where the fun would really start.

dmc444

Greener, things will be tough for FF i think its going to get worse before it gets better.

Any government at this time doesnt have a choice between Good or Bad, they just have a choice between Bad and Worse. The fact is and without getting into how to got in this mess, tough decisions need to be made.

I do believe that we in FF need to keep our heads. We should use our upcoming Ard Fheis to discuss strategy and how to lead Ireland out of economic difficulty.

If FF is doing this badly now, how badly will it do when the Tribunal stuff comes out? Are we seeing the end of FF?

Regards...jmcc
I don't think so, people thought that about the Canadian Conservatives when they were reduced to two seats in the 1990s, but they re-emerged. FF here wont be discarded in such a way because there is a good degree of familial loyalty behind it, plus a hardcore support that isn't negligible.
February 13th 2009. Two years BEFORE the last election.

God I'm good...

oggy

February 13th 2009. Two years BEFORE the last election.

God I'm good...
Tis nice to see yer regard for FF is so high. Maybe its because yer heart is in the right place or maybe its yer brain in the right place ??

Isnt it amusing how the campaign of hatred against FF has gone full circle. By the way, know a shop in Putney that sells easy to eat humble pie

Tis nice to see yer regard for FF is so high. Maybe its because yer heart is in the right place or maybe its yer brain in the right place ??

Isnt it amusing how the campaign of hatred against FF has gone full circle. By the way, know a shop in Putney that sells easy to eat humble pie
Heh - there really is a shop in Putney - Putney Pies - which sells a 'humble pie'! But as I am humble enough already, and as I was bang on the money, I'll leave them to more deserving cases...

P.s. - it's less high regard for FF than low regard for the electorate's collective memory...

oggy

Heh - there really is a shop in Putney - Putney Pies - which sells a 'humble pie'! But as I am humble enough already, and as I was bang on the money, I'll leave them to more deserving cases...

P.s. - it's less high regard for FF than low regard for the electorate's collective memory...
You have told anyone who can read about yer Da running into a few FF cowboys but did you make it clear they were FF because the other cowboys couldn't get next or near to power ?

You have told anyone who can read about yer Da running into a few FF cowboys but did you make it clear they were FF because the other cowboys couldn't get next or near to power ?
As it happens - yes. Several times. I have no doubt that had FG been the dominant party, the likes of Lawlor would have joined FG. I'm not down on FF for its own sake (as I told you before, my family were all FF back in the day, and two grandfathers were founding members). If you had asked me 30-odd years ago which party in Ireland did I prefer (albeit I was a kid who knew little), I'd have said FF, because I thought they were the ones on the side of people like my grandparents. I also said, even on the telly, that there were decent people too.

I'm down on FF for allowing to happen what happened. It's not because they are FF, it's because they allowed the gangsters to get away with it, and covered for them, and traduced those who pointed out what was wrong. They allowed the likes of Ahern to sell populism and mad economics to the country, which led to Ireland's economic destruction (the same Ahern whose mates boasted about driving out the old members in the party cumann so that they could get him, with no prior link to FF, in).

I'd be much more well-disposed to them if the decent people had taken control, embraced the long-term national interest instead of the short-termist sectional interests which were bought off to stay in power, and had kicked out the gangsters at the first instance they were exposed.

Glaucon

As it happens - yes. Several times. I have no doubt that had FG been the dominant party, the likes of Lawlor would have joined FG. I'm not down on FF for its own sake (as I told you before, my family were all FF back in the day, and two grandfathers were founding members). If you had asked me 30-odd years ago which party in Ireland did I prefer (albeit I was a kid who knew little), I'd have said FF, because I thought they were the ones on the side of people like my grandparents. I also said, even on the telly, that there were decent people too.

I'm down on FF for allowing to happen what happened. It's not because they are FF, it's because they allowed the gangsters to get away with it, and covered for them, and traduced those who pointed out what was wrong. They allowed the likes of Ahern to sell populism and mad economics to the country, which led to Ireland's economic destruction (the same Ahern whose mates boasted about driving out the old members in the party cumann so that they could get him, with no prior link to FF, in).

I'd be much more well-disposed to them if the decent people had taken control, embraced the long-term national interest instead of the short-termist sectional interests which were bought off to stay in power, and had kicked out the gangsters at the first instance they were exposed.
FF's culture is rotten to the core and thoroughly unreformed. Perhaps it is irreformable. In any event, the Irish electorate has shown itself to be no different to many others in this regard (a quick look at Mexican politics will show that that country's FF, the PRI, can run the country into the ground, be endemically corrupt, conspire with mass murdering drug barons and still get re-elected - or France and the UK which alternate between the same two parties over and over and over again, bizarrely expecting something radically new to occur each time) but that makes it no less depressing.

If Fianna Fail are the answer, I'd rather not look at the question.

oggy

I am now 70 years old, still working and for the moment in better shape mentally and physically than a lot 20 or even 30 years younger. Have been around the block a few times in my little world. have lived in London for a number of years and travelled a fair bit. I Ireland I always say 1% of the population are bad or potentially bad and 1% of the 1% are actually shhhhiiittheaaads and very dangerous. Would argue that applies around the world. No matter how much idealism and high standards you guys have you are not going to change the world and neither am I. Many of us have run into the 1% at some time and without telling about myself I have experience of them. I am lucky in that I never allowed bitterness to take over my life. Try it lads

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies